Clueless about # of calories I should really eat.

Options
Ha... So I've lost about 50 lbs in the past 3 years. I eat ridiculous portions of food, but exercise frequently. I haven't lost any weight in about a year and know I need to finally attack my eating habits. Booooo! So sad... How many calories should I be eating? And for the protein fiends, how many grams of protein? I do 2 hours of strength training a week and 3 hours of aerobic activity a week. Please don't make me say how much a weigh... I'm 40 years old.

Replies

• KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would calculate your BMR - the amount of calories your body needs to just sit there, basically.
    That way you have a goal. I think mine is 1416. I exercise and if I am hungry, I can eat those calories back. Just make sure you are eating at a defecit.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    This is a weight loss site. There's no shame in stating your weight said the 240 pound man.

If you really want help with a calorie goal it is required information along with your height. Sorry
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the number of calories needed .... if you were in a coma, heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. Do NOT eat below this number.

Find your TDEE .... total daily energy expenditure (should include exercise) ...... deduct 15-20% from this number to lose weight. Use 15% when you are close to goal as to reduce amount of muscle loss.

Eating at your BMR & not eating exercise calories back will cause a lot of muscle loss.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • marietb
    marietb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Woot Woot! That helps. BMR=1534 I can so work with that. The thought of only eating 1200 calories was highly distressing. Sounds like I can actually still eat, just modify my diet a touch and start dropping the lbs again. I'm celebrating with a piece of rhubarb pie. ;)
  • marietb
    Options
    I'm less than fluffy, but not a head turner.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the number of calories needed .... if you were in a coma, heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. Do NOT eat below this number.

Find your TDEE .... total daily energy expenditure (should include exercise) ...... deduct 15-20% from this number to lose weight. Use 15% when you are close to goal as to reduce amount of muscle loss.

Eating at your BMR & not eating exercise calories back will cause a lot of muscle loss.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

^^THIS^^

TDEE-20% means I lose 6 lbs/month.
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been told by a registered dietitian, to find out your daily protein needs, take your weight divided by 2.2 multiply it by .8. I am 195 \ 2.2 = 88.63 x .8 = 70.9 So I try and eat 71 grams of protein a day
  • marietb
    Options
    So, I need around 63 grams of protein a day. Then re-calculate as I drop some weight. Oh dear... I might have to substitute egg whites for rhubarb pie. Alright... Thanks for that formula.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating whatever you want in the last year and didnt gain any weight, I suggest you eat the same, but count the calories. This way you can figure out how much calories you eat per day....the formulas on the internet can be off...once you've done that just minus 500 cals from that....once the weight loss stalls..minus another 300...If you do it this way you will not plateau and your cal restriction wont start out so high in the beginning.