Running my first 5k tomorrow!

Options
Although I've been back into running for about 3 months now, I haven't run a race since middle school!

Is there anything I need to know, expect, or prepare for?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Here's a good thread from last year:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/612111-runners-tips-for-your-first-race

Warm up a little before the race and just try to have fun. Best of luck to you!!
  • Nease269
    Nease269 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Just remember to pace yourself. :happy:
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    MY biggest surprise was how many people were there for the 5k, my first one ever was in November for the Turkey Trot...it was so much fun--we were given all kinds of drinks and refreshments both b4 and after the race.

Wear your most comfy clothes and a good shoe/sneaker/trainer (high quality) , sleep a full night ahead of time and HYDRATE today!!! If you are well-hydrated you'll run like wind. Enjoy and Good Luck.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first 5k too, and I was so excited about finishing without stopping, that I forgot to stretch afterwards! Woke up the next morning with my hips stiff and in horrible pain. Felt like I had arthritis with every step I took, til about 6pm that night. :/

Don't forget to stretch!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Exciting! I just did one last wknd and it was so much fun! The rush from running with everyone around you really pushes you along!

Dress comfy, eat light, and have fun!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK! AND HAVE FUN!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Excited for you! Race day adrenaline might get your heart rate a little high, happens to me. No biggie. I'll echo the advice to stretch after and yes, have fun!!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'll elaborate on a couple items from my last 5k. One, pinning down the number. I really didn't count on wind, so having extra safety pins to anchor that puppy down would have been nice.

If you use Nike footpod, Keep in mind that in all the pre-race stuff, the race may not (has not started on time 4/5 times for me). You could be called into a building for photos or whatever beforehand...you'll lose your connection between shoepod and iPod. So, leave time to resync before the race starts. It's annoying to not have that ready. Same for Garmin watches. Don't forget to start them.

Don't let people racing off the starting block in your age range intimidate you. They may (probably will) wear out toward the end, just keep your pace, even breathing, start adding in some intervals when you can, if you're ready, and you'll likely catch up in the end.

Don't be surprised if you feel like throwing up or passing out or like crying at the end. i don't know why this happens to some people, adrenaline pushes, I suppose? Just walk around, sip a bit, and you'll feel like talking to people in 5-10 minutes. : )

Don't depend on cell phones to meet up with people or report on your progress. I often do not have signal around race sites, for whatever reason. Pick a meeting spot beforehand. Have some snacks in the vehicle in case of emergency calorie needs. Banana, granola bar, water. We ran a ran once out of town...were trying to get out of traffic, sopping wet...that food came in handy by the time we made our way back to the hotel.
  • lillypadstudio
    lillypadstudio Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good advise. I ran my first 5k in October and Loved it! (Warrior Dash) I was truly amazed how many people bolted at the starting line. I started with an easy jog to get my breathing right. (in through the nose, out the mouth) and I picked up my pace once I was comfortable. Im really not much of a runner but I passed so many people(2 mile marker) that darted off and looked like they were in terrific shape. I remember this one guy who had a really nice cut up physique and I was passing him. It made me feel really good! Have a great time.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I pack food for after, because my 5k's have been about an hour away and I always leave extra early to find parking. Or cheaper parking because it's expensive to park at the event lots. So money to park and if you want to eat at the event too but again I keep snacks. Also bag checks I recommend, I didn't do this and I had a bag in my car I really wanted for after that I didn't take in with me. Usually u start early so you might be cold in the morning, so a light running jacket depeding on where you live. I'm in Seattle and it's always cold here in the morning except for 3 months out of the year...lol. Make sure you have a place for your ipod or whatever music. I didn't use my phone sleeve and I dropped my phone like 3 times and had to stop and find it. Also I usually eat pretty good, but again this is probably like 3 hours before the race, I have a protein and a carb. So my choice is like a egg scrambled burrito thing.

Good luck and have fun.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Thank you to everyone!! I'm super-excited and now I feel a lot less nervous!