Low Carb or Low Calorie or Both?

Options
I been doing low carb eating since January 9th. I have lost 33 lbs since then. I am near my goal of 190. But I am making a new goal of 175. I am 5'10, male.

Low carb has always worked for me when I needed to lose weight. but the problem is I need to lose wait pretty often so obviously I can't stick with low carb for long. It's boring and I have a sweet tooth and miss my fruits and bread.

Is monitoring calorie intake and treating myself to more carbs better long term then just doing a strict low carb diet?

I do cardio 5 days a week for an hour or until I hit 700 calories burned, then I hit the Sauna for 20 minutes. I add in 3 days of tennis a week steadily also. I think I burn at least 400 calories an hour playing competitively.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    incorporate some resistance training and just create a calorie deficit, low carb doesn't off any fat loss advantages holding cals and protein constant
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I love carbs (don't restrict them at all) and I eat as many calories as I possibly can whilst still losing body fat.

Moderate deficit + resistance training + minimal cardio = perfect combination in my world for fat loss.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You could just do low carb two days a week.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    How low carb are you going? Have you tried doing low carb in the sence of low refined simple carbs. I consider myself low-carb but I still get between 90-120 carbs a day. I am loosing weight at a good rate 50 lbs in 120 days. Now I have to eat this way because I am insulin resistant so it's a little easier to stay away from the simple carbs but I still have my dark chocolate and about a serving an 1/2 of fruit a day.
  • randjonw
    randjonw Posts: 9
    Options
    I just planned to do low carb till I hit my goal. But long term I want to have a more balanced diet. I have had a really difficult time with weight training. I just have very little enthusiasm and energy in the weight room because I find it hard to add muscle and make gains. I even went to one of those clinics to be checked for Low T, but found out I actually have very healthy test levels and they would not prescribe me any PEDs. I guess it just comes down to old fashioned willpower.
  • randjonw
    randjonw Posts: 9
    Options
    How low carb are you going? Have you tried doing low carb in the sence of low refined simple carbs. I consider myself low-carb but I still get between 90-120 carbs a day. I am loosing weight at a good rate 50 lbs in 120 days. Now I have to eat this way because I am insulin resistant so it's a little easier to stay away from the simple carbs but I still have my dark chocolate and about a serving an 1/2 of fruit a day.

At first I did 0-20 carbs a day, now I eat between 30-50. I have a little apple sauce with my meats, a whole wheat bun with my burgers. And a small amount of bread crumbs with other meats.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do both, the only thing that seems to do the trick. Also I move a little more :)
  • cindytrepmoc
    Options
    I've been a low carber on and off for at least 15 years. I got to a point where I was unable to lose weight, even with low carb. And... I missed fruit! I recently switched to a calorie controlled diet
    , eating very clean.. Lean meats, fruits and veggies and some complex carbs (beans, whole grains). Almost no dairy. Yes i do allow myself treats and some alcohol. I have to say I feel 100x better, much more energy and feeling of 'lightness'. I think the key is balance and watching calorie intake. Find a diet for the long term. Base it on how the food makes you feel. listen to your body, it will tell you what works for you.Good luck!