Apps You Use

Options
I have been using a couple apps lately for my "Couch to 5K" and tried a couple and found one I love (Zen Labs). Then they came out with some other apps for different strength training and such. Has anyone tried any of the other types of apps out there for "Ab Exercises" or "Leg Exercises"? If so, have you found them helpful or a waste of time. What are the best? Are the free just as good as the ones that cost something? I have installed a few to try as well and will advise if they are any good.

Replies

• wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried any apps targeted towards leg, arms, or core exercises. I was using the C25K app, but when I got to the end I wanted something with more options so I got the Runtastic Pro app. I think it's more accurate anyways. Tried it out today for the first time and I could set myself a time goal for finishing the 5K, so now I can work on getting faster. :) It also has a ton of options for other exercises, and for regimented workouts.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I use Runtastic Pro daily also... I hope it is accurate. I have went through and set it up twice, and have it on low sensitivity.
    We actually marked off 100' and counted the steps and divided, in hopes of getting it as accurate as possible for stride length ....
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run 5k & Strong Lifts
    Sometimes I use Endomondo but only if I'm doing a lunchtime walk at work where I can't really run and get all sweaty.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo to track my runs etc (it syncs with MFP too!)

I also use DailyYoga (free app - I find this good as each routine is including video instruction)

And I use 10k free - which is the follow on to one of the c25k apps :)

(all on Android)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    HIIT Interval Timer - free - I use this for cardio. (warning: it does stay running when you browse away from the app. That's the only drawback to this app in my opinion. So I get my music set up first, then open the app and start my workout. I can't check email or texts while it's running or it stops.)

JEFit - free - TONS of exercises, more for strength than cardio though. I use it to log my workouts so I don't have to lug my (paper) training log around.

Endomondo - free - as mentioned. I like this app for when I'm running outside because it audibly tells my speed and mileage.

(also all on Android)
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Tap-A-Lap - for those days when I have to run on an indoor track.

GymGoal - for tracking strength training.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    1. Runtastic Pro...was using Nike+ Running, but I need more data.
    2. For iOS, look up publisher "Daily Workout Apps, LLC". They make Free and Paid apps that target virtually every muscle group, along with other stuff such as yoga
    3. Fitness Free - gives exercises for different muscle groups

I would love to use the Polar App, but I don't want to buy a different HR band/monitor (currently use the FT40)

Future Apps and Tech I will be using:
    1. Tom Tom is coming out with a multi-sport watch...getting this and I hope there will be some apps that will be able to sync to the data
    2. Will still probably be using Runtastic when not doing multisport events
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used Running Mate's 5k101 for 5 training. Now I use Nike + Running, Fartlek Drills +, 10k for Pink, Nike Training Club for days when I need to do something different, and Tabata Timer, for the occasional Tabata Drills.

After all these reviews I am thinking of switching to Runtastic Pro, but I use DailyMile.com to track my runs.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I used Running Mate's 5k101 for 5 training. Now I use Nike + Running, Fartlek Drills +, 10k for Pink, Nike Training Club for days when I need to do something different, and Tabata Timer, for the occasional Tabata Drills.

After all these reviews I am thinking of switching to Runtastic Pro, but I use DailyMile.com to track my runs.
    What's the Fartlek Drills + like? Is it easy to use when not running on a track? Would be interesting to increase speed!
    Oh, and is it on Android?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal.....
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use the Runtastic apps. The pedometer app is reasonably accurate, the regular Runtastic Pro app that uses GPS is of course very accurate and has a number of features. I also use the runtastic push-ups and squats apps. And I'll second the jefit recommendation if you are going to do weightlifting.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Thank you all, I appreciate the help!!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper for my runs. I've gone back and driven these routes and found it to be accurate. It saves your runs, giving you all the stats and even a map of your run. If you have a Window's phone you can use Caledos Runner as they utilize the Runkeeper site as Runkeeper doesn't have a Windows app, only Apple and Droid.

I've also used "Zombies, Run!". It's as if you're in some crazy zombie filled video game. It's a lot of fun and really ups the challenge of your runs.

Aside from that I don't want to be bothered with an app while I workout. These run in the background and tell me how my performance was when I'm done....