New Bride Needs Renewed Motivation

Options
Hey, everyone! I haven't been on the discussion boards that much, but I've been here almost every day for the past few months trying to track my progress. I'm here to ask for some support. :flowerforyou:

When I first started my new diet and exercise routine in April, it was with the intention of losing 30 pounds by my wedding in July. My wedding happened on the 18th, and it was beautiful. :heart: I LOVED every moment of it - even though I missed my goal! It was awesome to fit into a dress size I haven't worn in 10 years :-) In fact, I bought a dress in June and had to exchange it for a smaller size a couple of days before the wedding because it had gotten too big. This was great! But even still, my progress had slooooooooowed... I got complacent.

Unfortunately, the couple of weeks leading up to the wedding, and last week on my honeymoon, I didn't go to the gym NOR watch what I ate, other than watching it go into my mouth :tongue: I went to the gym 5 days a week and ate around 1200-1500 calories a day before I stopped trying. With the insanity of the wedding and honeymoon, I slacked off on the gym, completely overindulged on food, and noticed the scale tick back up a couple of pounds. The bulges have started to come back. Oh no!

So, reality is here. The wedding and honeymoon are over, but I still need and want to get myself in better shape. This is and has been for long-term health and self-confidence - not for the sole purpose of looking good in wedding pictures. I know this, but I need a bit of prodding and butt-kicking at this point - please fire away! I need to get my butt to the gym ASAP. Why is it that when my car goes to that shopping center, it only goes to the grocery store and not the gym? :wink:

Thank you!:happy:

Replies

• conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself kicked in the butt! :smile:
  • tlcclt
    tlcclt Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you, Connie!!! :happy:
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    What about trying to workout at home? Sometimes getting motivated to go to a gym is more difficult then popping in a few workout DVDs and getting it done without ever having to leave the house. I know for me I like to have a gym buddy once in awhile especially if I start at a new gym. Without someone else going every night and pushing me to go too, I end up going less than I should. So it's easier, especially with my busy schedule right now to just pop in a DVD. I even bought an elliptical off of HSN before so I could make payments and still have a piece of gym equipment that I enjoy (although I'll admit I really don't like mine and prefer the ones at the gym)

I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred again and it's only 30 minutes so you could definitely do that each day.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    maybe trying something new will help to motivate you to exercise again. You could try to get an exercise buddy that would meet you at the gym, try a new dvd, go bike riding, swimming, just get moving . Maybe you should also post before and after pics on your fridge to motivate you to continue eating better. And most of all log on here everyday to track your eating and exercising and to get motivation. Hope this helps
  • torri26
    torri26 Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't think what you really need is a butt kicking but perhaps a goal. I find myself lost after I meet a goal so I've resolved to always look beyond each goal. I plan to compete in February, but in order to keep my commitment, I am going to compete in a mini Triathlon ~ something I've NEVER done. I have many reasons not to do it too.1) I HATE water 2) I'm lucky to squeak out a mile run with my asthma 3) I fractured my sacrum 9 years ago, I can barely sit for 5 minutes without my butt hurting so 10 miles on a bike YIKES!! 4) I'm a solo parent with no family to help cover child care while I'm on the run. Those are all good excuses I think not to do it, but it's for FUN, I'm not going to do it for a world record time. I just want to complete it. So, my point is lay out your goals for the next year and strive to accomplish each as a short term goal. Find things you are interested in doing or things that you could never see your self doing. Look for the fun as you go. Oh and in my opinion Motivation is over rated. Try to COMMIT to going to the gym and you will find that once you get there and get started on the treadmill the motivation kicks in. Don't forget to reward yourself either, My reward of two years of doing things on my own is finally hiring a trainer to take me to the next step. She was the one who suggested this site to help me track my food and exercise. I'm glad she did!!!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I'll be the bride in November. :-) I try to get out and walk in my neighborhood. Unfortunately a gym membership is out of the question right now, this is my cheap-n-free solution! :-) I enjoy the C25K program on my ipod and the 100 pushups (I can only do 1 girlie), 200 squats and 200 sit up programs. They are available on an ipod but also on the internet, google it if you are interested! :-)

Funny story: I was sold a wedding dress that was going to be too small for me (I found this out the day after purchasing it). So I stressed out a lot until I started watching my food and exercising. 3 days after I got a call and was told my dress could now be made in my size! Now I'm trying to loose some weight while still managing to fit in the new *bigger* dress! :-)

Good luck on your journey! There are lots of people here to support you! :-)
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your marriage! My husband and I have been married for 9 years. For the past 4 and a half months, we have been doing P90X and it has been some of the best time we have had in our marriage. I have heard countless other couples say that as well. If I knew then what I know now, I would have worked out with my hubby at home instead of going to the gym. Consider it, P90X and Insanity are 2 awesome programs (we are just starting Insanity) and very guy friendly as well. :o) They are cheaper than the gym too and will get you into amazing shape very quickly. What a better way to start the rest of your lives together?

Ok, getting a bit cheesy, but seriously, I cannot say enough good things for this (and our marriage wasn't bad to begin with, it has just brought it up a whole 'nother level).

Lisa
  • farr2fun
    farr2fun Posts: 15
    Options
    Congratuations and Best Wishes on your new marriage. It's understandable that you're having a bit of trouble getting back to your routine since you've gotten married. You're probably setting up your home and having fun with your new husband. So maybe you don't have time available to give to working out as you did in preparation for the wedding. Feeling guilty only depresses us. It never motivates us. Look for compromises until your schedule gets more routine again like 30 minutes of an exercise you enjoy at the same time everyday. Keep a food diary, even if you don't log everything it will help you eliminate alot of mindless eating. For me I found that I need to plan an event to keep me focused. Your wedding was a big motivater. Start saving $ now for a great trip on your first anniversary that you want to look really good for.