Too few calories?

Options
I went on a binge (friday nite wedding, a brunch the next day, followed by a picnic, followed by leftovers on sunday...) I ate only 1000 calories today and did 65 minutes of cardio to try to jump start myself. I ended up being 3 pounds up today from Thurday.
Anyone else tried this?

The fitnesspal thing says to go up to 1200 cal per day, i find myself gaining if I set that as a goal because I always go over... Most days if I set myself at 1000, i have some flex calories to get me at 200... plus I feel like I am balancing them out for BBQs on the weekends.

I did go up to 1200 a day for 3 days last week, but my weight loss slowed.

I eat fruits, vegetables, fiber, meat., dairy:ohwell: .. I try to stay very very balanced.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    I went on a binge (friday nite wedding, a brunch the next day, followed by a picnic, followed by leftovers on sunday...) I ate only 1000 calories today and did 65 minutes of cardio to try to jump start myself. I ended up being 3 pounds up today from Thurday.
    Anyone else tried this?

The fitnesspal thing says to go up to 1200 cal per day, i find myself gaining if I set that as a goal because I always go over... Most days if I set myself at 1000, i have some flex calories to get me at 200... plus I feel like I am balancing them out for BBQs on the weekends.

I did go up to 1200 a day for 3 days last week, but my weight loss slowed.

I eat fruits, vegetables, fiber, meat., dairy:ohwell: .. I try to stay very very balanced.

Any thoughts?
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    When you only eat 1000 calories and then exercising then your not even eating 1000 calories cause you just burned them off. Do you understand?
    Say you eat 1000 for that day then you exercise and you burn 500 now your daily amount for calories for that day ends up being only 500.
    You are undereating and in the long run it will hurt your weight loss.
    Hope this was clear and understandable.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You might feel rather lethargic, sore, or not very recovered the next day by doing so.

You probably will lose the weight (whether its water or muscle (vice fat)). It may give you a short term improvement, but your goals should be medium and long term. You cannot let the body think (ALARM - Starvation MODE!!!)

I find that when I have "fun" weekends, I will gain 3 to 5lbs, but if I stick to the plan, by that Thursday, I will be back to what I was (or even a little lower) on the following Friday.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i can see where you would mentally 'tell' yourself that your goal was 1000 cals so that you have a little bit of 'sway' since you know you tend to go over.

just be SURE not to make it a habit to be under 1000 net calories. if you exercise, be sure to eat up all of those cals you burned away, because failing to do so could put you under your 1200 net calories for the day.

There are just so many factors as to what affects weight. you mentioned that you were up 3 pounds today from thursday. I just wanted to mention something that i said earlier on another thread because i cant stress it ENOUGH how important it is.

the scale is not that reliable. DId you know that one single eight ounce glass of water weighs a HALF A POUND?! I know! so think about it, even one glass of water (or tea or soda...) can make you ad up to a few pounds! dont forget about the waste in your system that you may not know is in there, retained water as well as hormonal fluctuations have everthing to do with the number you see on that scale, so try not to take it too seriously.
    Also, when you weight, do it a tthe same time of day each day, most people do it in the morning after going to the potty, but you have to remember that even after that, you may not be completely 'empty' so half pounds are trivial really.

now that i have rambled on for a second, keep us updated on how you are doin!
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i can see where you would mentally 'tell' yourself that your goal was 1000 cals so that you have a little bit of 'sway' since you know you tend to go over.

just be SURE not to make it a habit to be under 1000 net calories. if you exercise, be sure to eat up all of those cals you burned away, because failing to do so could put you under your 1200 net calories for the day.

There are just so many factors as to what affects weight. you mentioned that you were up 3 pounds today from thursday. I just wanted to mention something that i said earlier on another thread because i cant stress it ENOUGH how important it is.

the scale is not that reliable. DId you know that one single eight ounce glass of water weighs a HALF A POUND?! I know! so think about it, even one glass of water (or tea or soda...) can make you ad up to a few pounds! dont forget about the waste in your system that you may not know is in there, retained water as well as hormonal fluctuations have everthing to do with the number you see on that scale, so try not to take it too seriously.
    Also, when you weight, do it a tthe same time of day each day, most people do it in the morning after going to the potty, but you have to remember that even after that, you may not be completely 'empty' so half pounds are trivial really.

now that i have rambled on for a second, keep us updated on how you are doin!

I like the logic though! ~smiling~
    I always like to weigh before and after a number 2 just to prove what you just said!
    I have one of my Marines that can literally drop a 4lb duece! ~laughing~ Though that was in a Port-a-John in Fallujah when it was 135F outside!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    :noway:

You only have a goal of an 8 lb loss. You can't expect a 2 lb/week loss! You need to AT LEAST be eating 1200 per day, minimum and if you are exercising, EAT THOSE CALORIES!!!

Reset your goals for .5 lb/wk loss, you really shouldn't expect to lose more than that. :ohwell:
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    thanks everyone!
    I have been playing with my diet and adding in calories so I am at least at 1200. The problem is that I am getting married in the middle of a week long cruise next week... I wanted to feel perfect... I am feeling okay now... just need to keep my routine going... I want to keep exercising on the ship as well...

I like breakfast the best: 3 egg whites, 1/2 slice asiago cheese, 1/8 cup cheddar, 3 oz or white turkey meat... in an omelet with fresh strawberries on the side :)

The 4 pound poopie story made me laugh!

My digestive tract is all out of whack... so i am jealous!:laugh:
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You might feel rather lethargic, sore, or not very recovered the next day by doing so.

You probably will lose the weight (whether its water or muscle (vice fat)). It may give you a short term improvement, but your goals should be medium and long term. You cannot let the body think (ALARM - Starvation MODE!!!)

I find that when I have "fun" weekends, I will gain 3 to 5lbs, but if I stick to the plan, by that Thursday, I will be back to what I was (or even a little lower) on the following Friday.

I agree, after a weekend I may also be up 2-4 lbs, but its just due to water weight mostly and i'm back to normal by wednesday or thursday