feeling discouraged, not loosing weight

Options
I'm starting to feel really discouraged. I gained 65lbs during my pregnancies with each of my sons (I have a 20 month old and a 6 week old) I was 250 when I went into labor with my son. I was 235 when I came home h
From the hospital, I got down to 227 just by dieting. I started the 30day shred 10days ago doing it every day, and I've been waking 4 days a week about a 1.5miles each time. I'm eating approx 1200-1400 a day, and I haven't lost anything in the past week! Nothing! Its really frustrating! I still have 110lbs. to loose, so to not loose anything in a week when I'm watching what I eat and working out every day, how is this possible?

Replies

• Karentrobe
    Karentrobe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    feeling you im doing the same thing and i dropped 13 and the this past week gained 5 and ive stepped everything up im getting fustrated too sorry for noy having advice but atleast you know your not alone
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    current height and weight?
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on having two beautiful babies! :)

1. Patience. I started at 252, and I'm losing 6lbs a month, the most healthy way possible. I've lost quickly and gained it back a few times... slower IS better. But it takes patience, in spades.

2. With your calories that low, your body might be resisting fat loss. Consider raising your calories and really making sure you eat 35% protein, 35% fat, and 30% carbs... or something like that. Those are the numbers I have success with. MFP can help you calculate that really easily, and you can tell how healthy your choices really are from that. I eat more than 2,000 calories a day most days, and I'm losing at a rate that keeps me mentally healthy.

3. Walking is great cardio. JM's videos are pretty good, just focus on always improving your strength and your fitness will fall into place!

4. Patience :) It took us a while to put on the weight... it will take a while for it to come off.

This post was helpful for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Don't judge everything from one week. You are re-tightening muscles that haven't been used for a while....it's very likely you are adding some water from that process, even as you are losing weight. Keep at it...you'll see that scale move soon. Perhaps after a rest day especially. I had several weeks where the scale didn't seem to move, then BAM, I'd lost half a pound a day for a while. Weight loss is just not linear. I don't know what frees it up, but consistency is key, even when you don't see results immediately. Be sure to measure! It takes a while to get all those hormones worked out from pregnancy, too. It will come.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Being pregnant with my first daughter I was 210 pounds...

With everything it takes time.

What types of work outs are you doing? Are you dieting? Breastfeeding? I know Personal questions... but I would love to help out.
  • SueZenL
    SueZenL Posts: 4
    Options
    Dear laciebehnke,
    A big hug from New Zealand! Your message went straight to my heart!
    With two such young babies, so soon after giving birth, I believe your body's simply working overtime on all sorts of healing projects , as well as weight loss.You're efforts will pay off.
    Your little baby will grow so quickly, and be crawling away from you all the time, in no time at all.
    These next few weeks, of rest,hugs and nurture will be prioritised by Mother Nature, I think.
    Your efforts are amazing, and show how strong your desire to lose weight is.

The thing I like about myfitness.pal.com, is that the daily statement when you sign off, "If you continue eating like this, you will lose 5lbs by 5 June."made me face the fact that patience over this huge weight loss thing, is what I need to learn, more than anything.
    Celebrating little steps. little successes.little spaces in the negative self-talk. Little moments of self-congratulations, for one moment of strength, not giving in. Eating sprouts, when you really want potato chips, is a HUGE act of resolve!
    Their recommended loss of 1lb per week.so your 110lbs will take at least 110 weeks, over 2 years.
    Hard fact, but, I really need to learn that, too, and I'm facing it, thanks to reading your message.

I'm 62, with no children,and 216.8lbs this morning. A completely different stage of Life to you, but I felt drawn to write, anyway.
    I hope young mothers leap into action, and respond to your message, from their own experiences.

I know, in my mum's wedding photos, she was as thin as a rake.
    By the time she's holding me at my christening, less than 12 months later, she had more than doubled in bulk!

I've been stuck at 225lbs for 2 months, and I have had to learn real patience and determination not to give up, and eat for comfort. I would lose 5 pounds during the week, and put them on again, stress eating over the weekend.
    A month ago, I started making sure I had 8 hours sleep, giving up midnight murder mysteries, and panic snacks at 1am.Today, I've lost a tiny bit, but I feel more positive, and more patient about this huge challenge we're attempting.

I was shocked how tired I was, when I finally went to bed for 8 hours a night. It's taken weeks to feel sparks of energy returning.
    Now, I don't know how I ever thought I could keep pressing on, all those years.realising there's no quick fix, for the weight I've gained, but the effort will be so worth it., and even a little bit lost, starts to put a spring in your step, and a sparkle in your eye.

Be kind to yourself. Your efforts are amazing, and they will pay off!
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    See how much you lose each month not weekly. For me the past year I have only been able to lose 4 pounds a month and thats with cardio 5x a week and diet. I know its discourging but after 12 months I have lost 50 pounds.
  • laciebehnke
    Options
    I'm 5ft1 and 224lbs right now. I'm doing the 30 day shred everyday, plus walking, not to mention chansing a 20 month old around. Lol Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I just really miss my prebaby body, and every thing just seems sob far away!
  • krazynique
    krazynique Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on the same path I lost 25lbs and I have 70lbs to go I am 5'1 and my weight fluctuates drastically I can be 201lbs one day and next week 207 and the week after back down to 202. I am stuck at 205 right now and I have increased my food intake a time or 2 and it helped butits really hard to increase my intake when I am eating so much vegetable and soup. I decided to do a green challenge and cleanse to see if that will help and so far no weight loss. I am on day 5 I haven't worked out as much as I was before but its only cause I sprained my calf doing a stair challenge as well as working out.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You're getting a lot of good advice so you don't need any from me. Just thought I'd chime in to say I looked at your profile and see you are in Cleveland. I live in South Carolina but I was born and raised there. If you're a Clevelander, you're tough. You'll make it. :happy:
  • Tiffanie0407
    Tiffanie0407 Posts: 112
    Options
    Dont get dis discourage i was the same way you just have to work even harder tighten up way up on your eating your body might be getting use to the same calories and food. Change it up i gain 100lbs and which is so sad i was 150 before i had my baby and afterwards i was 250, but im back at my starting weight with 20lbs to go. I turn myself into a vegan im not sure if you want to make that decision because i am lacking a lot of protein and vitamins, but im plant base so im kind of getting some in a way. So hang in there pal :-)
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    When I did the 30 DS I didn't lose any weight. I did lose inches however, and got much stronger and more toned. After I finished the 30 DS and went back to walking, I started losing again. The muscle I gained helped me to burn more calories, I think Don't give up after 1 week. Things will start to happen and you will see results soon.
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    Options
    Here's how I lost my 60+ pregnancy weight: Get a good double stroller, get a pedometer and challenge yourself to move more everyday. Walk further. Get enough sleep, (easier said than done, I realize) try not to focus on how much you have left to lose or how much you gained. It took 18+ months with 2 pregnancies to put it on and it will take sometime to get it off. stick with it, your plateau will budge...
  • germLA47
    germLA47 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories a day, but if I ate foods that I am sensitive or allergic to, I would not lose weight.....even on low calories. Maybe you are food sensitive to something you eat often. It's only a suggestion but might be worth checking out.
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    Options
    btw, I had one and then twins 17 months later! It took me 2 years to get to pre pregnancy, now just getting to the last 10!
  • SueZenL
    SueZenL Posts: 4
    Options
    How's it going? I think of you, as I set out to the gym each morning.A fitness buddy from afar.
    My friend steps out with her baby in a backpack, and her pre-schooler in a stroller.
    She inspired me to get off my butt, because I thought, "If she can find time, I've got no excuses!"
    A pedometer is such a good way to prove that every step adds up, over a day.
    it's worth buying one with a clip attached, to keep it secure on your waistband.
    Have a good day!