Water retention from exercise? (Trainers?)

Options

Replies

• porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Another great article on water retention - and why you have to "ride out" any weight fluctuations....

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adjusting-the-diet.html

This is an excellent article. Thank you for posting this!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    One more post for comparison: On Monday morning I weighed in at 141.8 ...I upped my milage on my run and experienced some brutal muscle fatigue...On Tuesday and Wednesday (today) I weigh 144.0 lbs w/o no dietary explanations. But when I drop again (usually on weekends) I will go lower than the previous weekend. Oh and my measurements go up a tick too...

I know usually when I stop gaining weight after a run, I need to bump up the milage again....
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    Perfect explanations, and I was looking for these today. Started 30 DS Monday, feels like every one of my muscles, even ones I didn't know I had, are killing me....and had a 1 lb gain on the scale today. I have been running on the treadmill since January, so I didn't think I was totally out of shape, but good ole Jillian sure did prove me wrong. Thanks for the info everyone!
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I had the same questions, and will be thrilled to review all the answers, too.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread I am fairly new to exercising. Ive been walking 2 miles almost daily the past month and this past week amped it up. I walked 3,4 miles Saturday and Sunday and almost 5 miles yesterday. Over the weekend my weight was down 1.5 from last weeks weight. My official weigh in this morning I was up a lb and couldnt figure out why since I really amped up the walking the last few days and faithfully track my food. This gives me an idea as to why that could be....my legs are sore today for sure!! I was quite discouraged this morning to say the least. The answers you all gave have eased my mind that I am in fact doing good for my body and it will eventually show.
  • Mishka84
    Mishka84 Posts: 17
    Options
    I was asking the same questions a few days ago as I was weighing the same if not more after a work out especially after weight training.
    Thanks for the articles guys, I think the world should read them it will radically change our perceptions and obsessions with a number on a scale (easier said than done I know!)
  • Syrynn333
    Syrynn333 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys are life savers, ThankYou! I have been trying to find good information and the links are fantastic! I've just finsihed a few reads on the Body Recomposition website
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/not-losing-fat-at-20-deficit-what-should-i-do-qa.html

Finally something that makes a lot of sense, I must be close, I am now pushing for the Whoosh :p
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JessicaClick1
    Options
    The same thing happend to me I was 156 this morning before I starting working out and after my workout out which I did a mix of both cardio and strenthg training as well as sons yoga and I went up to 158 pounds so I guess I give it a rest tomorrow and just chill so my body may release all this extra fluid I drunk 9 glasses of water and it's only 6 pm I been up since 5 am so no more water for me I heard hot tea helps so u will be trying that
  • skilvington
    skilvington Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So glad I read this. Was feeling a bit disappointed with my weight loss this week, especially as I have been working out in the gym - which is new experience to me. Will persevere and hope to see a better loss next week.
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add: Monitor your sodium intake as well (you can set it to be one of the nutrients displyed on your home screen).

Many of us take in way too much sodium - especially when trying to count calories, because it can be tempting to stick with packaged meals (which are way high in sodium) in order to get a more accurate calorie count.

Excess sodium will cause you to retain water and "gain weight" - at least on the scale.

Monitor your sodium intake and try to keep it below 2500 per day (not as easy as it sounds).

If you start watching it, you may be surprised how much sodium you are taking in, and how much water weight you'll lose if you reduce your sodium intake for a few days.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I almost always weigh heavier the day avter working out.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    bump for later. This may answer some of my questions. I'm not doing weight lifting workouts but am usually burning 300-600 calories a day with walking and dvd workouts.
  • pumkin85
    pumkin85 Posts: 5
    Options
    As your body gets used to the activity, it will go away. Can sometimes take a week at first, depending on your activity level and what you're doing but as you become more fit, it should only take a day or two. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, especially on your active days, as a more constant hydration level will help to let your body know it's ok to release the excess.

Here's the thing though, as you continue to exercise, you also need to continue to challenge yourself in order to get the same (or better) calorie burn going forward so you'll keep seeing these periods where you might gain a bit or at least stay the same due to the muscles retaining fluid. It's part of becoming healthier so you just need to accept it for what it is. If you're in a challenge or program and have a specific weigh in day, maybe just take the day before as a rest day to allow your body to release those fluids so hopefully it won't effect that number on the scale.

When I was in WW, I had weigh ins on Tuesday so I'd rest or stick to strictly cardio (typically long walks) on the weekends and rest on Monday. It seemed to help...

Cool! This is formation is great! Very helpful. Thanks you!
  • sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Every year when I start running again, my weight goes up 8-10lbs and stays there until the end of the season. Then I magically drop 10lbs. I had a steady drop in body weight and bf% all winter and, once again, it has happened this year. BF% crept up a little over 1% also. Im thinking it's only fluid retention, but I can see a difference in the mirror. It blows :o
  • katieuk
    katieuk Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yes... I am not a trainer but I know that as your muscles work to repair themselves they hold onto water.

^ Agree!!

The muscles retain water to repair... people who do weight loss plans tend to focus on those scales and during the first couple of weeks that be deterred from sticking to their workout routine because of the increase on the scales!! Try to avoid those scales especially during this time - over time this will start to decrease again. However, my advice really would be to focus on the measurements (with a tape measure) rather than the weight on the scales.

I don't think the scales are a true reflection on how well you are actually doing and can be a big de-motivator!!
  • christia21
    christia21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks- great information!
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yep - always. as CarrieBear says, your muscles need to repair themselves so hold water. I worked my butt off yesterday - nearly 2000 cals burnt and i gained 4lbs today - I'm not even stressing as I know it's water, plus I drank 17 glasses of water yesterday too.

don't stress - keep drinking plenty of water to help flush it away and it'll be gone in a couple of days. x

Oh how I wish more people understood this. It would de-stress so many people. +1 for you.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Bump for later!