I.. just.. can't.. run.. :(

Options

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Stick with the c25k program which really eases you into running. Shin splints can be normal if your body isn't used to running. I would take days off in between runs and go slow. Get fitted for shoes and just keep at it. I always get shin splints if I haven't run in a while. They will go away as your body gets used to it.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I would also say to see a foot doctor and get orthotics......I really need them but insurance wont cover them=( so they have to wait.
    I just decided to put off running and stick to my fitness classes for now. Perhaps I will change my mind later. It is pure torture for me at the moment, too painful.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ditch the running and do HIIT sprints....easier on your shins..

I used to get shin splits but after a while they just went away ...I guess you could keep running through it but if you do not like, why bother?

9s7FXfn.gif

:tongue:

A good topic here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

You said you got new sneakers, but that might not help if they are the wrong type of sneakers.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ditch the running and do HIIT sprints....easier on your shins..

I used to get shin splits but after a while they just went away ...I guess you could keep running through it but if you do not like, why bother?

9s7FXfn.gif

:tongue:

A good topic here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

You said you got new sneakers, but that might not help if they are the wrong type of sneakers.
    actually I think I need to correct myself..how the hell would sprinting be easier on your shins...well I guess you are not constantly pounding them on the pavement since you would sprint 30 seconds and rest 30 seconds...I guess I was right ..
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them watch you run. They will recommend a type of shoe that will help your issue.

But everyone has given you good advice. When you weigh more you distribute your weight differently so it puts pressure on areas you probably never did before. You must correct this with proper form, good shoes and losing weight.

Also you since you are putting more pressure on your body and you weigh more it is going to hurt. Find another cardio method for a while until you get down to where it does not hurt anymore then start out training to run again. Start slow.

I can not run any more due to a knee injury, but I used to run 5 miles a day, but I really had to work up to it and I had to make sure I had good shoes, and run in good form.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Running can be the best! keep at it..check out brooks...my life changed when I switched to brooks running shoes!

This!

I love Brooks running shoes, they are the best! Worth every dollar
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    switch to compound lifts and minimal running..you will get better results..
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing?
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Since you said you love running, I would take the running store and shoe advice... You shouldnt have to give up something you love!:flowerforyou:
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to find a weight that I can run at without developing shin splints, yet. Sigh. Maybe next time I'm down in the 120s.

If you've already done the gait analysis thing and got good running shoes, try using something like an elliptical trainer instead of running on a flat surface. The elliptical is the only way that I can run right now. Also, as others have said, build up the strength in your legs. I've got massively strong legs but sadly still can't run on a flat surface.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Since you said you love running, I would take the running store and shoe advice... You shouldnt have to give up something you love!:flowerforyou:

This like everyone has said also, I have learned that I am built for comfort not for speed.

Meaning, I will never be fast and I'm OK with that.

I go for distance over speed.

Or, just go slow, it's OK. Really it is.

I have learned that I can push myself and run a quick pre lifting mile in about 8:30. When I do my cardio run, I do anywhere from 3.5-5 miles and do about a 12 min mile. Esp if my husband is with me. Some days, I can hold 10 min miles for those runs though. It all depends on how I feel.

Also, I picked up running in the fall. For me, I didn't want to start running in the spring in my area through the summer. Heat just annoys me. Now that I have a good running schedule, heat won't be as much an issue.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used 2 believe that 2. I would get up 2 1.5 miles & start getting unbearable pain. When i started developing shin splints/hip & knee pain/calf pain; it was suggested that i look into running form. Specifically using a neutral strike.

I started an online program C25K about u wks ago & really focused on good form while working up in intervals.

I have found a INSANE improvement in endurance & a LOSS of pain.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to find a weight that I can run at without developing shin splints, yet. Sigh. Maybe next time I'm down in the 120s.

If you've already done the gait analysis thing and got good running shoes, try using something like an elliptical trainer instead of running on a flat surface. The elliptical is the only way that I can run right now. Also, as others have said, build up the strength in your legs. I've got massively strong legs but sadly still can't run on a flat surface.

I had shin splints before I gained my weight. I also considered myself to have strong legs, I still do, but I think my lower legs aren't as strong. Honestly I just ran through mine. I didn't have a choice at the time. Even when I put on weight they didn't come back from running. I get them now jumping rope and doing box jumps, but not running.
    The elliptical isn't going to strengthen those weaker muscles. I would do a modified C25K and push a little through the pain, then slowly move up. i would also go to a running track or somewhere where the ground is softer and build up.

Again, from what I understand that OP wants to run. If that's not the case, Iw ouldn't bother.
  • hartface26
    hartface26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's important that you get try a lot of different pairs of running shoes on, and don't go cheap. Brooks or Asics are good shoes and you may want to go to a store that specializes in running shoes where you can get fitted. Make sure that you get someone to watch you walk to make sure you don't over pronate. There are specific stretches that you have to do to prevent shin splints. I would just run a little bit at a time, then walk. If you get shin splits, ice them. They will eventually go away, but you do have to have good shoes. I have tendonitis in my ankles and started wearing Brooks Ravenna and they are awesome. I hardly feel any pain in my ankles while running anymore. They have a lot of cushion to prevent shock.
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    Options
    Don’t fall into the trap of starting at a too high intensity. Paradoxically, the slower you go when you begin, the faster you will become in the end! “Base building” is by far the most essential part of your running. This will result in easy running in the future. Low intensity running for beginners is an excellent aid in avoiding overtraining. If, at the end of your workout, you would tell yourself: ’I could’ve gone a bit longer’, it’s a clear indication that you’ve been running at the right pace

Warming up is an excellent way to send your body a clear message that you’re about to become physically active. This way, your heart and legs could adjust properly. This’s how the ideal running warm up works: Start in a brisk walk followed by easy running for couple of minutes or so.

When you finish your running, take a few of minutes to cool down by running very slowly and walking in the last minutes of your workout. Finish with a stretch.

Maintaining warm-ups and cool downs greatly helps in reducing muscle pains which, in turn, improves your overall recovery process.

Cross training refers to other wonderful exercises that you could easily add to your running routine. They include swimming, biking, hiking, Pilates…etc. The beauty of cross training is that it helps increasing your fitness level while giving your running-muscles a break
    great advice, start slow (like walking uphill) and don't get discouraged, definitely get appropriate gear!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Check your gait. I used to get terrible shin splints when I tried to run. Come to find out I heel strike really bad and that caused me to get really bad shin splints. I got some minimalist shoes - fixed my heel strike and no more shin splints
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    see if that doc will get you a referral to PT they might be able to work on your gait and running style
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am only on week 4 but when my shins and feet started hurting I would roll my feet on a tennis ball afterwards, started running in the grass instead of pavement, focused on striking mid foot. My shins haven't bothered me in about a week now. Good luck!
  • msmichydo
    msmichydo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would also say to see a foot doctor and get orthotics......I really need them but insurance wont cover them=( so they have to wait.
    I just decided to put off running and stick to my fitness classes for now. Perhaps I will change my mind later. It is pure torture for me at the moment, too painful.

This!

I too have shin splints and waiting to pay for my orthotics. I run 5K every other day, start off really slow, and the slower I go at the beginning of my run, the LESS pain I get in my shins and the more stamina/faster I can run. It's all about easing your body into it. I have minimal pain this way. But definitely get the fitted shoes and orthotics though!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What helped me:
    Shoes, get a good pair, go to a real shoe store that can measure you and work with you. I prefer the local running shoe store, even for walking shoes. Good socks too. Listen to your feet for these.

Warm up. I found walking on a flat surface was much easier. Then stretch. Then run if that is where you are headed. Try to run on the flat for a bit. I find the hills here can throw a cramp in my lower leg if I am not warmed up.

Posture. Walk tall, run tall. No leaning, no hunching.

Breathe, you body needs oxygen to live, give it some. Nothing fancy, but in thru the nose and out thru the mouth will help get a deep breathing pattern going for you.

Diet, get a good balance diet going. Make sure your calcium is in line. Runners swear by a 1/2 pint of low fat chocolate milk when they finish a run. Others go for the Gatoraide. Either will balance your electrolytes.