BMR?

Options
If you go under the APPS tab you can calculate your BMR... which I just did and the calorie intake that the BMR gives me is more than the allotted 1200 that myfitnesspal gave me? So which one to follow? They are only off by a little more than 200 calories.. But was curious on your take....

Replies

• gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Anyone??
    If you go under the APPS tab you can calculate your BMR... which I just did and the calorie intake that the BMR gives me is more than the allotted 1200 that myfitnesspal gave me? So which one to follow? They are only off by a little more than 200 calories.. But was curious on your take....
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that the answer is most likely "whichever works for you." My unscientific advice based on my own trial and error is try one for 3-4 weeks, and if things aren't proceeding at the pace you like, the other.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I have heard many different answers to this question, but IMO eat at least at your BMR. That's the amount of calories your body needs in order to do basic functions...breathing, digestion, heart beating etc. I personally can't eat less than my BMR. OR you can eat at the 1200 calories and eat back your exercise calories...or at least some of them. Trial and error is also another good way to go. I tried eating at 1200 calories for a few months and I was exhausted, had headaches and generally just felt lousy. I upped my calories and immediately saw and felt change.
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Based on some research... I think it's best not to go under your BMR (those are the amount of calories your body needs to sustain organ function, right?)...

This is where you decide if you want to do TDEE-% or stick to MFP. I have custom settings on calorie intake and macronutrients to put me where I think I should be. I still havent figured if I want to be doing TDEE -% so I just adjusted the calorie intake, to be a little over the BMR.
  • gourmetgal77
    Options
    I guess another question I would have is if you are suppose to eat your BMR then why is myfitnesspal setting your calorie count at less than that? Wouldn't it make more sense to have your calorie count for MFP be based on your BMR not their "generic formula" if you will?
    I have heard many different answers to this question, but IMO eat at least at your BMR. That's the amount of calories your body needs in order to do basic functions...breathing, digestion, heart beating etc. I personally can't eat less than my BMR. OR you can eat at the 1200 calories and eat back your exercise calories...or at least some of them. Trial and error is also another good way to go. I tried eating at 1200 calories for a few months and I was exhausted, had headaches and generally just felt lousy. I upped my calories and immediately saw and felt change.
  • gourmetgal77
    Options
    So - IYHO - if my exercise calories + the 1200 MFP calories = my BMR - as long as I eat back the bulk of my exercise calories, I am on the right track, correct?
    Based on some research... I think it's best not to go under your BMR (those are the amount of calories your body needs to sustain organ function, right?)...

This is where you decide if you want to do TDEE-% or stick to MFP. I have custom settings on calorie intake and macronutrients to put me where I think I should be. I still havent figured if I want to be doing TDEE -% so I just adjusted the calorie intake, to be a little over the BMR.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    The BMR is higher because you chose a weight loss rate that was too aggressive.

MFP locks the minimum calories at 1200 because it is thought that you need that many calories typically to come close to getting enough nutrients to be somewhat healthy.

So here is what happened:

1) MFP calculated your BMR
    2) It multiplies BMR by an activity factor that you choose (by telling it how active you are) to calculate TDEE
    3) It asks you how many calories you want to burn per week
    4) It subtracts enough calories from your TDEE so you meet your goal.
    5) Your calories are lower than your BMR because - based on the answers you gave - that is what it would take for you to meet your goal.

Except, the minimum is capped at 1200 so you won't meet the aggressive goal you set anyways.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

MFP locks the minimum calories at 1200 because it is thought that you need that many calories typically to come close to getting enough nutrients to be somewhat healthy.

2) It multiplies BMR by an activity factor that you choose (by telling it how active you are) to calculate TDEE
    5) Your calories are lower than your BMR because - based on the answers you gave - that is what it would take for you to meet your goal.

Except, the minimum is capped at 1200 so you won't meet the aggressive goal you set anyways.

this.
  • gourmetgal77
    Options
    So if I go in and change my weight lose goal to be "more realistic" it should recalculate the 1200 to be closer to what my BMR is? When I factor in my exercise calories - or at least what MFP has them set at it has me eating a little higher than my BMR calorie intake should be... So would that mean it will essentially all comes out in the wash?

Sorry if I sound "dumb" I am really trying to wrap my brain around this for a long-term lifestyle change VS another "diet" and I want to make sure I know what I am doing....

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    So if I go in and change my weight lose goal to be "more realistic" it should recalculate the 1200 to be closer to what my BMR is? When I factor in my exercise calories - or at least what MFP has them set at it has me eating a little higher than my BMR calorie intake should be... So would that mean it will essentially all comes out in the wash?

Sorry if I sound "dumb" I am really trying to wrap my brain around this for a long-term lifestyle change VS another "diet" and I want to make sure I know what I am doing....

Your net calories are still under your BMR. What is the hurry that you need to lose weight so quickly? If you really want to make a lifestyle change vs another diet, just take is slow and learn how to eat and what your body needs. If it isn't sustainable for long periods of time, it isn't a lifestyle change.

That said, if you are meticulous about your nutritional composition, you can net below your bmr and still be ok for short periods of time (a couple or 3 weeks) without losing muscle mass, but like I said, you have to nail your nutrients - including knowing what you need and how much. For most people, it is best to just net somewhere between your BMR and TDEE.

Here is a great way to figure out your calorie deficit:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975696-advanced-fat-loss-tactics-must-know-your-bodyfat?page=1
  • gourmetgal77
    Options

Your net calories are still under your BMR. What is the hurry that you need to lose weight so quickly? If you really want to make a lifestyle change vs another diet, just take is slow and learn how to eat and what your body needs. If it isn't sustainable for long periods of time, it isn't a lifestyle change.

That said, if you are meticulous about your nutritional composition, you can net below your bmr and still be ok for short periods of time (a couple or 3 weeks) without losing muscle mass, but like I said, you have to nail your nutrients - including knowing what you need and how much. For most people, it is best to just net somewhere between your BMR and TDEE.

Here is a great way to figure out your calorie deficit:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975696-advanced-fat-loss-tactics-must-know-your-bodyfat?page=1

No hurry at all -- that is the point, have done the hurry diet before and it worked great for the time being until life got in the way. So, now I am back doing it the "right way". So, I will definitely check out that link. Thanks so much!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think for me eating at 1200 plus exercise worked for a while but now I'm going to have to use BMR and TDEE minus some percentage.
  • gourmetgal77
    Options
    So, you think that by using the 1200 + exercise worked until you essentially plateaued? And now you have to re-evaluate?
    I think for me eating at 1200 plus exercise worked for a while but now I'm going to have to use BMR and TDEE minus some percentage.