Out To Eat

Options
So tomorrow I know for lunch I will be going out to eat but I don't know where. I have been doing so well eating healthy and i don't want to eat out but I HAVE to... Any suggestions for eating healthy while eating out?

Replies

• becomingtherealme
    Options
    Watch out for salads! I had one yesterday at Frisch's Big Boy and it ended up being over 1,000 calories. I wish I had gotten a grilled chicken breast and plain baked potato. I'm like you, I hate trying to eat healthy and eat out. Good luck!
  • kasafrass
    kasafrass Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Applebee's has a pretty delicious "healthy" section of their menu. The meals are all under 550 calories.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Look for grilled chicken, fish, shrimp (sans the butter!)
    Side with a baked potato or sweet potato, and steamed veggies
    With this combination you should rock this lunch out! :)
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just use portion control... Know ahead of time that when you get your plate you will mentally divide the plate in 2 and eat only half... with restaurant portions, that should be a "normal" portion. Also, eat meats and veggies and stay away from the chips and salsa... Happy Mom's Day!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Would be great if you knew where you'll be eating, so can try to see if there is a menu/nutritional info ahead of time. So you can plan around the meal.

Best bets usually are fish, chicken, or steak. Stay away from dishes saying creamy or fried, stuff swimming sauce or butter, get dressing/butter (etc) on the side. Most places serve portions that are huge, get them to split it in the kitchen and box half or ask for a box in advance (so you can divvy & box it before you start nibbling till it's done).

I've found talking to the servers about their food is prepared and letting them know you are watching, helps big time. Try to a light breakfast so you can splurge a bit more at lunch if you need to.

I eat out a lot and it takes planning & self control but you can stay within your goals, it just takes a bit of work.
  • optimist49
    optimist49 Posts: 28
    Options
    Make sure you exercise to help out with the extra calories:)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    So tomorrow I know for lunch I will be going out to eat but I don't know where. I have been doing so well eating healthy and i don't want to eat out but I HAVE to... Any suggestions for eating healthy while eating out?

If you do decide on where you want to eat you could always look up their website & see if they have a nutrition section.