1200 Cals?!?! Should I eat my exercise cals?!?!

Options
Ok, So I am set at 1,200 calories a day. I make it a goal to eat back all my exercise calories b/c the body needs at least 1,200 calories to go on. But, is that net calories or calories in general? If my goal is 1,200 and I exercise 200 I automatically eat 1,400. Is that how it should be??

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    At 1,200 calories a day, I'd eat those back. :-/
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're using MFP calculations, so you should be eating back most exercise calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If my goal is 1,200 and I exercise 200 I automatically eat 1,400. Is that how it should be??

YES! Especially if you're eating so few calories to begin with.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yep. Completely on track.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Personally...I think you need to eat more food..1200 is too little...Go to this calculator and input your stats..

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Short answer is yes. But this answer will help you better in the long run. 1200 calories gets pretty miserable, pretty quickly.
    Personally...I think you need to eat more food..1200 is too little...Go to this calculator and input your stats..

• chandratro
    chandratro Posts: 12
    Options
    yes that is what you should do - I always eat back my exercise cals - i am at 1200 cals a day too. & i have lost 26lbs since January!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think so-- 1200 calories suggested by the website includes a deficit already.
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    yes you are doing what you should be. Keep eating your excerise calories back as they come since you are on only 1200 calories. I try to always make sure that I net at least 1200 calories.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Since your calories are set so low, you absolutely should eat back your exercise calories! I would, however, suggest that you not eat them all back OR invest in a good HRM because MFP exaggerates calories burned a lot of the time.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    DEFINITELY eat back your exercise calories, and try to up your burn to 500 a day instead of 200. :wink:
  • ak248902
    ak248902 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with mgmlap go to this website and calculate what they think you should be eating. 1200 sounds low and yes, you should eat back your exercise calories. Good luck!

• CCNYE63
    CCNYE63 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat them back, and try to build up your exercise calories so you can eat more.
  • ashleymmannisto
    ashleymmannisto Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I reentered my info into MFP and it told me to eat 1400 cal/day...I also went to the website and entered in and it also told me to eat 13something just about 1400..so I'll stick with the 1400 a day. Thanks guys!
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories per day. I eat back all my calories if I'm that hungry and don't If I'm not. More times than not, I eat back some but not all. This has been working well for me so far and I will change it if I need to. We are all different so you just need to see what works for you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    "Should I eat my exercise calories back."

The answer is always YES.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that many have found very helpful in getting started:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yes.