polar? up by jawbone? heart monitor?

Options
Hi everyone!!! could you please help me?? I was asked by my kids what do I want for mother's day and I would love something to show me how many calories I'm burning plus to monitor my heart. can you please give me some suggestions?? Thanks

Replies

• fishinthetown
    fishinthetown Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Flex and I really like it. It syncs well with MFP and so far has accurately recorded distance and as far as I can tell, steps. The sleep tracker is helpful too (I noticed I sleep much much sounder on the days I exercise!). It does not monitor heart rate, unfortunately, but it is a wristband so it can be worn constantly (even swimming or in the shower) so it monitors how active you were during periods throughout the day (for example, it knows that I was running for an hour...or completely sedentary for a few hours). It also has a neat silent alarm feature. The two biggest selling points for me in comparison to the Jawbone Up were 1) It connects to my phone and computer through bluetooth...so I don't need to carry around a cord, and 2) the actual hardware itself can be removed easily from the wristband, so if the wristband is damaged or breaks, I only need to replace the band rather than the entire unit.

I know the lack of heart rate monitor might be a deal breaker, but I just thought I'd share my experience with a similar product! Happy Mother's Day!
  • fishinthetown
    fishinthetown Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention something else I really like. MFP automatically syncs with your Fitbit account, so if you're having a particularly active day, you will earn extra calories from your activity and fitbit automatically syncs them to your diary as a "fitbit calorie adjustment." If you allow it to, it will also take away calories if you are particularly sedentary on a day. It is also intuitive to not count twice for exercise and steps. For example, if you run for an hour starting at 12 oclock and log that workout in your MFP exercise log, fitbit recognizes that from 12-1 you were working out and the calories you earn from that workout are not tacked onto your calorie adjustment for the day.

I hope that makes sense, because it's a really useful feature for someone like myself who doesn't follow the same exact routine everyday.