I think I just had a whoosh!

Options
I made a mental note this past Tuesday that my fat around my belly felt much more jiggly. I would describe it as "fluffy" if that makes sense. Didn't make anything of it. Since then, I have lost 3.6 lbs. Initially, I was quite worried. Didn't make sense, especially since Tues and Wed were rest days. And I changed nothing. Same calories as always. Same macros and micros. Same water intake. Same waste output. What the heck?!?

Turns out there is a name for this phenomenon: whooshing. Based on what I have read, you get the fluffy fat like I had and then a bunch of weight just drops off. Probably all water, but if it doesn't come back, then I have what I would characterize as a new, lower set point. We'll see.

I did a search on here and there seems to be a lot of posts about this whoosh. First time it's happened to me and I've lost 71 lbs of fat. Not sure what to think of it.

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think this happened to my husband. He lost a steady 2 pounds a week and did nothing special at all, eating his recommended calories, going for walks nothing out of the ordinary. All of a sudden one day he was down 4 pounds over night and the next day another pound. Its been a week now and it has not come back. I wish it would happen to me :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

I always lose in whooshes, heafalumps and weezils.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks, friend, Katy! Holy cow! That's exactly what happened. Fascinating. Another thing I noticed Wed and Thursday was my urine had that very strong ketosis smell to it. I tried ketogenic dieting for a while and I know that smell. And it was intense yesterday. But I haven't been low carbing it, so I thought that was weird. Why was I in ketosis? Maybe this was it.
  • lulu3561
    lulu3561 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That happened to me I was steadily losing 1 to 2 pounds a week then all of a sudden I lost 8.6 pounds in a week..did not change anything in my diet and I didn't gain it back I still lost 1 to 2 pounds a week after that weekl..I had read the link shared by katy_trail back then and came to conclusion that's what it was..wish it would happen again now.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    It's my first whoosh. I just read katy's article and this jumped out at me:

"Somewhat circumstantially, people using Bioimpedance body fat scales (which use hydration to estimate body fat levels) have noted that body fat appears to go up right before a big drop. This implicates water balance as the issue here."

I was getting mad this week because my BF% was climbing for no apparent reason. What the heck? Maybe this was it.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I made a mental note this past Tuesday that my fat around my belly felt much more jiggly. I would describe it as "fluffy" if that makes sense. Didn't make anything of it. Since then, I have lost 3.6 lbs. Initially, I was quite worried. Didn't make sense, especially since Tues and Wed were rest days. And I changed nothing. Same calories as always. Same macros and micros. Same water intake. Same waste output. What the heck?!?

Turns out there is a name for this phenomenon: whooshing. Based on what I have read, you get the fluffy fat like I had and then a bunch of weight just drops off. Probably all water, but if it doesn't come back, then I have what I would characterize as a new, lower set point. We'll see.

I did a search on here and there seems to be a lot of posts about this whoosh. First time it's happened to me and I've lost 71 lbs of fat. Not sure what to think of it.

Literally everything you just wrote happened to me this week. Except my weight loss is 70lbs, not 71 lol.
  • amsibert
    amsibert Posts: 7
    Options
    That's awesome!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I tend to get irritated when I hit the flat spot, I hadn't really thought of the wooshes, but apparently I get those too. As I hit flat spots, I'll think about the potential upcoming woosh! (:
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    cool!
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    As an update, it is late and I woke up and found all the squishy spots are now quite firm. I'll take measurements in the morning but I suspect they will be down. This is fascinating.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think part of it has to do with fluid retention and metabolism. I can tell when I am going to have a whoosh. My stomach or waist just feels really lean and flat. I get on the scale and I am down 3-5 lbs from the weigh in before, and its really weird because I can go two weeks with nothing then one week I will lose 5 pounds. Losing weight is never a steady constant.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    That is perfect! I have never heard of a Whoosh!
    That explains what happened to me this week.
    I weigh daily (bad idea) But log it weekly.
    All week it stayed the same. No change in routine, habits,
    diet, exercise Etc.
    Then weigh in day Bam! Minus FOUR pounds.
    Overnight! What The ??? Not complaining.
    Thanks for the explanation .... Smiling!
  • BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Never had a whoosh but for almost the past month i've lost very little staying around the same weight so lets hope i get a WHOOSH soon :smile: done a little research & it makes quite interesting reading
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    same thing happened to me.no change in weight for days on end ,then suddenly a pound loss every day for 4 days.dont know whats going on but i like it!
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Just weighed in this morning. I was expecting to gain weight because I did a re-feed (cheat day) last night. I normally eat 2100 cal / day and manage over 3,700 yesterday. 2 bowls of ice cream and 4 bowls of frosty flakes. And I did no exercise. I normally gain 3-4 lbs after doing this. Not this morning. Lost another .4 lbs. Total loss during this whoosh: 7.6 lbs in 7 days. And with a cheat day in there. And I slept 16 hours.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Tee hee, whoosh! Whooooosh! But, yeah I hope the weight doesn't come back. :)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Nice! I didn't know there was a name for it. Last Friday I'd lost 0.4 lbs, following a 2 lb loss and a 16 day plateau. Then jumped on the scale for the heck of it on Monday and was down 3 lbs. I've been doing more walking but only an additional mile or two total. I immediately logged it here. I have noticed the belly is jigglier. I also notice how the scale goes up/doesn't move following a workout with the trainer. Sometimes it takes quite a few days for it to move, depending on how hard he tried to kill me. :sad: :wink: