Juicing, How do I calculate calories?

Options
Just wondering how you calculate the calories? so I just add in the vegetables and fruit that I juice?

Replies

• cardiophile
    cardiophile Posts: 38
    Options
    When you plug in your fruits and veggies, type in "grapes juicing", "kale juicing", etc. It will not have as many calories as just grapes alone since you are extracting the fibrous parts.
  • sushiaushi
    sushiaushi Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i just add all the stuff that i'm juicing raw. i tried searching in the database for juiced versions but they seemed quite inaccurate to me, or didnt have macros recorded, or were part of a recipe that i hadnt made. by just entering the whole fruit seems to me the best option because it means i'm not underestimating - just ignore the fibre numbers, fibre isn't absorbed by the body and therefore doesn't subtract too much from the overall nutrition of the raw product.

At the end of the day though, i can't imagine that anyone's goals were ever hindered by not logging every last cal of a fresh raw fruit/veg juice! it's a healthy habit to have so drink up, do your best to log but it's not the end of the world if it just gets too complicated to bother with :drinker:
  • sparkleberries
    sparkleberries Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weight my veg separably before juicing & then just add the veg & weight to work it out, I don't need to know the exact amount of cals.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    In the current issue of Psychology Today there is an article about how Steve Jobs died from juicing. Have fun!
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There's actually a huge bank of juices (raw) already on MFP like someone already said try 'kale juice' or 'kale juice homemade' to get one that someone's already put in :)

To be honest though I wouldn't worry about calories from juicing as it's so nutrient dense it's better for you than any damage it could possibly do to your waist line!
  • sparkleberries
    Options
    In the current issue of Psychology Today there is an article about how Steve Jobs died from juicing. Have fun!

????
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options

i would get into this, but i have to go open my juice bar :happy:
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Out of frustration because of not knowing how to calculate his calories, maybe? Juicing is dangerous.
  • sparkleberries
    Options
    Can you only ask questions if you do a certain type of exercise or diet on MFP?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I hope not...

...because I have a lot of questions myself.

And some of them are even about juicing.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Who even mentioned exercise?
  • sushiaushi
    Options
    I hope not?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

huh???
  • sparkleberries
    Options
    Well it feels like it as every topic started on juicing someone comes in real anti it & bashes it & then others jump on the bandwagon, rather sad actually for the original poster who is asking something & for others who are interested in it...but I guess you will always get that from some people.
  • sushiaushi
    Options
    I have noticed that on of the juice posts that I have seen when i was looking for answers to my original question, its a shame that some people have to be like that, juicing like everything else has its good and bad points i guess, and if someone is wanting to do it isn't it the communities place to be supportive? isn't that the whole point of a community
  • sparkleberries
    Options
    I have noticed that on of the juice posts that I have seen when i was looking for answers to my original question, its a shame that some people have to be like that, juicing like everything else has its good and bad points i guess, and if someone is wanting to do it isn't it the communities place to be supportive? isn't that the whole point of a community

That's what I though.
    I don't get why those that have not tried it or wont try it have to be so over the top about it, why they post on it so negatively is just weird.

Is there a group for juicing?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

That's what I though.
    I don't get why those that have not tried it or wont try it have to be so over the top about it, why they post on it so negatively is just weird.

Is there a group for juicing?

bodybuilding.com
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/kdaniel/2011/12/27/ivegetarian2-the-eating-disorders-of-steve-jobs/

Steve Jobs. Genius. Entrepreneur. Juicer. ED sufferer. Dead.
    Whether or not Jobs was in one of his fanatic fruitarian phases, he favored a lot of fruit and fruit juice. These are not only high on the glycemic index, but loaded with fructose. Fruits and fruit juices greatly stress the liver and pancreas, contribute to diabetes and many other blood sugar disorders, and have been linked to pancreatic cancer. Jobs suffered from a type of pancreatic cancer known as islet cell carcinoma, which originates in the insulin-secreting beta cells.

Research published in the November 2007 issue of American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concluded there was “evidence for a greater pancreatic cancer risk with a high intake of fruit and juices but not with a high intake of sodas.” More recently, in the August 2010 issue of Cancer Research, Dr. Anthony Healy of UCLA’s Jonsson Cancer Center proposed that aberrant fructose metabolism — and not just aberrant glucose metabolism — might be involved in the pathogenesis of pancreatic cancer. Seems fructose provides the raw material cancer cells prefer to use to make the DNA they need to divide and proliferate.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how you calculate the calories? so I just add in the vegetables and fruit that I juice?

ANYWAYS...back to the original question...

I use this as my guideline to figuring out my juices. It's taken from 'All About Juicing':

First of all, in most cases, for example in that of carrot or celery, 1 cup of juice provides the same amount of nutrients that would be in 5 cups of that veggie or fruit chopped up.

The pulp and fiber add just a minimal amount of calories and nutrients. Most of the nutrition is really in the juice - and the calories are really from the sugar.

It’s hard to get the exact calorie count for a few reasons:

1) All vegetables are different sizes
    2) Juicer differences - Some juicers are better then others. The cheaper versions will leave the pulp wet. A wetter pulp means more juice was left in the pulp, and less in your cup, so less calories to count.

You can get an average of the calorie counts for your fresh juice by going to a reputable nutrition or calorie counting site like nutriondata.com.

There, you’ll want to find the calorie count (or nutrition data, if that’s what you are looking for, too) for each fruit or vegetable.
    List out the calories for each fruit or veggie on a paper, taking note of the fiber content.

Add up the total calories.

Every gram of fiber has about 4 calories. So you’ll want to multiply the fiber grams by 4 calories for each piece of produce. Then, subtract that from the total amount of calories that were in all of the produce.

This will give you a pretty close estimate of the calorie counts for your juicing recipes.

Hope that helps you!