love biscuits but...

Options
c1aireee
c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
I eat too many of them!!! I have just totted up in the last week & I have eaten nearly 1000 cals of biscuits ( choc digestives are my weakness! ) I know I shouldnt eat a lot of biscuits but when u have a couple of tea in evening I have a couple of biscuits too! I'm in uk does anyone know of better or healthier options of biscuits ( if there is such a thing! )

Replies

• bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    We bake at home. That way you can make smaller cookies but also you know they only contain good fats and real sugar rather than the cheap corn syrup. You cannot eat too many of them because for the same calories you get a better kick. Also because you made them you know how fattening too many can be and you stop yourself.

I do not feel bad about having home made stuff because it is wholesome. Just stick to one or tow or cut them up.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I make little cakes with protein powder and they fill that carb void without feeding any additional sort of insulin spike craving.
  • jess0105
    jess0105 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mikado are quite good not sure whether you've heard of them. They are little biscuit sticks only 11 cals each and you can get them in milk, dark and white chocolate, super yum as well. They're with the biscuits in most supermarkets :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    just to clarify for the US readers, she's referring to cookies, not what we refer to as biscuits in the states.
    a southern biscuit is made of lard, flour and deliciousness, it really can't be replaced. a 1,000 cals of them is probably only 4.

There are ways to make cookies healthier, but sometimes the flavor isn't the same.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't buy them. Simple

I bake with my children so if we want cake or cookies at the weekend, we make them so that I can control what goes into them and how many are available to eat!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    So your choc digestives are running you about 140 calories per day? Maybe 10% of your daily calories? And you've lost 18 pounds doing this?

You're fine. Eat the biscuits.
  • c1aireee
    Options
    So your choc digestives are running you about 140 calories per day? Maybe 10% of your daily calories? And you've lost 18 pounds doing this?

You're fine. Eat the biscuits.

I have been the same weight for 2 weeks now & I have just noticed I have eaten a lot of biscuits recently that's all
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Maryland Snapjacks are fairly low. 2 biscuits for 64 calories for the honeycomb ones i think. Or ginger fingers. 36 calories each.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    just to clarify for the US readers, she's referring to cookies, not what we refer to as biscuits in the states.
    a southern biscuit is made of lard, flour and deliciousness, it really can't be replaced. a 1,000 cals of them is probably only 4.

There are ways to make cookies healthier, but sometimes the flavor isn't the same.

Oh, thanks. I was wondering why they weren't smothering those "biscuits" with sausage gravy!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was in the same book, I love them

however I am now Gluten free ( almost a yr now) so no wheat and that has stopped me from eating them, yes I can buy them however I am trying not eat processed foods

I have mademy own using ground almonds, means I get extra protein which is good with the high exercise program I am on.

so I have about 15 gms of dark choc, the darker the better with a cup of tea

hope this helps

anyone can add me
  • jenniferwren
    jenniferwren Posts: 189
    Options
    if you are counting them in and losing weight that's ok isn't it? i can't have them in the house choc digestives are my crack :laugh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Also, we don't really have corn syrup in the UK.

Unfortunately I can't see much 'better' - the weight watchers etc options are generally just smaller.

But then, as they say 'IIFYM'.
    Biscuits should just mean less of other food eaten.
  • Gran315
    Gran315 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK too c1airee and a cup of tea can feel lonely without a biscuit LOL. When I can't resist, I go for Arrowroot or Tea fingers, they work out at about 35 calories each instead of 50 or so for the chocolate digestive.
    I always said that if I reached into the biscuit tin, they all came out on a string, making it too easy to eat several, but I fought back with the tea fingers and now, I look on a biscuit as a treat, maybe once or twice a week, which is a massive improvement for me.
  • c1aireee
    Options
    I'm in the UK too c1airee and a cup of tea can feel lonely without a biscuit LOL. When I can't resist, I go for Arrowroot or Tea fingers, they work out at about 35 calories each instead of 50 or so for the chocolate digestive.
    I always said that if I reached into the biscuit tin, they all came out on a string, making it too easy to eat several, but I fought back with the tea fingers and now, I look on a biscuit as a treat, maybe once or twice a week, which is a massive improvement for me.

thanks glad I am not the only one who loves tea & biscuits! do u mean rich tea finger biscuits?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I eat too many of them!!! I have just totted up in the last week & I have eaten nearly 1000 cals of biscuits ( choc digestives are my weakness! ) I know I shouldnt eat a lot of biscuits but when u have a couple of tea in evening I have a couple of biscuits too! I'm in uk does anyone know of better or healthier options of biscuits ( if there is such a thing! )

WHAT? no. I refuse to believe it with all your talk of tea and biscuits.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a bad thing if you are active and don't eat a lot of other junk. If you enjoy them, have them, but maybe try and have them around your workouts. I mean, 1000 calories a week, works out under 150 a day, but I believe in the method of eating where you eat 80% nutritious, healthy food, and allow the other 20% to be whatever you desire. Even a bag of fairly plain popcorn from marks and spencer is around 145 calories. I go for the 9 bars sometimes, which are made of seeds, but those are over 200 calories per piece, sure, they are healthier, with the vitamins and minerals in the seeds, but calorie wise, about the same as a couple of biscuits. You could get some organix apple flavoured rice cakes from boots or asda or sainsburys as a healthier alternative, but again, those are 200 calories for a bag. Nakd bars, the small ones, come in packs at supermarkets and some of those are only 98 calories each and they are purely dried fruit and oats.

Or, get into hard boiled eggs, carrots dipped in houmous, almonds and apples for your crunch.
    Personally, I allow a treat a day, of between 200 and 400 calories, depending on my activity for the day.
    My mum has a biscuit or two when she gets up and one before bed.
    It is fine as long as you are in control and not eating half a packet a day, which is what I sometimes do if I am having a bad night, lol.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Or, get into hard boiled eggs, carrots dipped in houmous, almonds and apples for your crunch.

If the biscuits fit in your calorie budget (and don't cause cravings/binges), they probably aren't really harming anything. If you're still at your defined calories you could elect to keep eating them - the plateau could just be your body adjusting and you'll start losing again soon with no change. If you think the biscuits are the cause of your plateau, one of the quoted options would be a reasonable alternative. It's also possible (didn't try to look at your log) that you aren't eating enough and need to generally increase your daily calories (with emphasis on healthy "whole" foods)
  • Gran315
    Gran315 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    c1aireee .... I sometimes buy rich tea biscuits, but mostly Tesco's tea fingers, I can have 3 for around 100 calories. Today I treated myself and had 2 Jaffa cakes, but I shall encourage my other half to eat the rest so that I'm not tempted back to the chocolate fix.
    I've just abandoned another sweet treat, aero chocolate mousse, around 100 calories, but I found that it was increasing my "need" for something sweet, sometimes having 3 in a day. I've switched to fruit, especially banana or a pear if I want sweetness.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Another good one is garibaldi! lol x
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I used to love the caramel ones.....!!!!

But as they say ..... Little pickers wear BIG knickers...lol..that's why I had to stop buying them!!

Why don't you have one of them low calories hot chocs?.. For that sweet taste