How can I only eat 24 gms of sugar a day?

Options
According to my nutrition breakdown, I'm only supposed to eat 24 grams of sugars in a day. My one apple has 22 grams! Can this really be correct? I looked up the apple on multiple sites, and that does seem to be right...

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's right. Two things you can do:

1. don't eat fruit
    2. change your goals manually in MFP

Sugar is sugar whether it's in fruit or fruit loops.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i removed the sugar macro because i enjoy fruits i think its more for processed sugar because like you said otherwise you cant even eat an apple a day
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never tracked a gram of sugar through 312 lbs. of weightloss... Concentrate on your caloric intake and hit your 3 Main macro's (Protein, Carbs, and Fats). Best of Luck....
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't take any notice of the sugar macros. I eat fruit every day and am always over on sugar. I never heard of an apple making anyone fat
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Never tracked a gram of sugar through 312 lbs. of weightloss... Concentrate on your caloric intake and hit your 3 Main macro's (Protein, Carbs, and Fats). Best of Luck....

just little offside WOW what an amazing loss great job
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, so I don't track sugar.

If you want 24 grams, maybe just eat a teaspoon of sugar?
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar makes my tummy sad. Fruit makes me happy!
  • sammirust
    sammirust Posts: 83
    Options
    sugar in fruit is good for you. that being said, dont eat 10lbs of it, but an apple or two during the day wont hurt you. as long as you are under calorie goal thats fine.
    also, if you are diabetic, this is null and void. sugar isnt to be taken lightly. diabetics should be weary of fruits, just because they often do have a lot of sugar in them and it could screw with your blood sugars and such.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I go over in sugar every single day. I used to worry about it but then I started getting to a point where I felt like I couldn't even eat one banana. That's just crazy lol. I started ignoring the sugar and I've been doing just fine!
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I separate my natural sugars like fruits and my processed sugars and try to just keep under 30grams of processed sugars for ex bread candy ice cream etc I'm a celiac so I don't partake in gluten or oats so its a lil easier for me but I will admit I do have a lil candy every now and then haha
    I don't count fruit or veggie in with my sugar intake allowance!
  • galipemi1
    galipemi1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was really confused by that too, so I tried to research it a little. The consensus seemed to be that we should be eating no more than 24-25g of ADDED sugars every day. That means the macro count here on MFP means little to nothing since it doesn't differentiate between naturally occurring sugars and added sugars. Unless you're diabetic you can likely ignore it. I'm insulin resistant so I leave it up just to try to keep an eye on how high I'm going overall but I definitely don't panic over it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    sugar in fruit is good for you. that being said, dont eat 10lbs of it, but an apple or two during the day wont hurt you. as long as you are under calorie goal thats fine.
    also, if you are diabetic, this is null and void. sugar isnt to be taken lightly. diabetics should be weary of fruits, just because they often do have a lot of sugar in them and it could screw with your blood sugars and such.

Not all diabetics...... I am Type 2 (diagnosed in 2009 with A1c over 10.0) and today my A1c average 5.4 and I each Oranges, Apples. Pears, Banana's, among other fruits. I have worked with a Dietician throughout my weight loss (which I was directed to by my Endocrinologist) and never once did she have me tracking sugar... My focus was always on Carbs first, then Protein and Fats... This isn't a one size fits all, I do understand that so nothing against what you said just wanted to point out my side of the equation...... :flowerforyou:
  • Medusa3
    Medusa3 Posts: 11
    Options
    I dont count any of the sugar from fruits, veg, or milk. I create a "my foods" list for these that only counts the calories. Makes a huge difference!! :)
  • sammirust
    sammirust Posts: 83
    Options
    sorry i should have posted that different.
    thats great for you, i just meant generally though. i didnt want to tell her sugars were okay without first putting that out there that just in case she was diabetic she should watch those, as i dont know her medical history, nor did i want to suggest that any diabetic go and eat fruits without consulting a doctor and making sure that in their specific case it is okay to have the extra sugars.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The mfp sugar macro is silly, I don't use it. I try to eat a variety of fruit every day, a piece of fruit with every meal.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The world health organization (WHO), suggest people should limit their sugar intake to 50 grams or less of added refined sugar as there are a significant number of studies showing a strong correlation between added refined sugar intake and weight gain. That said, they go on to state that naturally occurring sugar as found in fruit is fine and no restrictions are needed.

Honestly, these recommendations are based on general population studies, and have very little correlation with those of us on a restricted calorie intake. As Ed mentioned, I can't see any reason to restrict sugar intake if it's not medically contraindicated and you can fit it into your macro and calorie goals.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's right. Two things you can do:

1. don't eat fruit
    2. change your goals manually in MFP

Sugar is sugar whether it's in fruit or fruit loops.

Sugar is not sugar. Fructose of any kind when not in the form of an actual fruit is literally poison to your liver. It is good in fruit because of the fiber associated with eating the actual fruit. Fructose is in unrefined sugar, HFCS, juice and pretty much added to almost everything processed. Sugars from vegetables, fruit (not juice) and milk are good for you. Your body processes all these sugars appropriately except for fructose. I would try to discern your actual sugar intake per day from fruit and other things you eat to see where most of your sugars are coming from.
    For a more scientific, subjective look at sugars and their effects on the body watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • quiltnteacher1
    quiltnteacher1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the help! I've been doing weight watchers for years, but decided to give this a try, so I'm learning a whole new system. I think that I will occasionally add up added sugar and try to keep that down, but in general, just ignore that piece of information on the site.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Remove fruit and starchy foods from your diet.

Personally, I turned off the sugar setting here. I can look at it on my nutrient breakdown if I want to know where I am. Since most of my sugar consumption comes from fruit and dairy, I don't worry about it. Since you've done weight watchers, you know what foods are healthy and which aren't. Adjust your nutritional settings to match the metrics you wish to track for yourself.

I like to monitor sodium and fiber as well as calories, protein, carbs and fat. But everyone has different goals for their diet and exercise, so set your accordingly.

That's what is so great about MFP, it is 100% customizable. I'm an athlete and set my goals here to help me meet my goals for fitness and performance. Others just want to lose weight, and others are using this app for health reasons to control conditions like crohn's or diabetes or other inflammatory conditions.

Make the app work for you. :flowerforyou:
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I eat 400 to 700 grams of sugar a day...pounds just started melting awayyyyy....enjoyyy the amazing benefits of sugahhhhh:)