Suggestions to up protein intake please :)

Options
Hi All,

I seem to be consuming between 50-60g of proteins a day. However, I keep reading that one should eat approx 1g per lb of body weight to avoid losing muscle mass whilst losing weight, which would give me a target of 114g worth of proteins a day.

To me that sounds like a lot - I am already struggling as it is. But I do feel I should increase my daily consumption somewhat. To, say, 80-90g per day, and see how that feels? (My main aim is that of losing body fat and build some muscle).

Bearing in mind that I am a vegetarian (no meat or fish, but I do eat eggs and dairy), I should be grateful for any suggestions on what else I could eat to increase my daily intake? I am looking for solutions other than protein powder. Diary is open.

Thanks so much! :smile:

Anna

Replies

• silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Liquid egg whites - can make a variety of things that incorporate these, cottage cheese.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    it is 1g per lb of lean body mass.

As silver said, liquid egg whites. and peanut butter, cottage cheese. yogurt, ect .......

why are you against protein powders?
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake if I'm low on my protein but don't want too many additional calories or macros. I'll take 120 calories & 25 gr. protein
  • BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've recently upped my protein intake to the suggested 1g/1lb lbm and my diary is open. When I need that extra chunk I do drink protein shakes though. Uppin gyour protein gives you more energy and helps you feel full longer. My favorites right now are mozzarella cheese sticks, hardboiled eggs, cereal(lots of cereals have good amounts of protein like kashi and grape nuts). I also recently discovered that protein powder can be mixed in with jello sugra free fat free instant pudding. it's amazing for that extra protein and dessert, but again, protein powder.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    eggs,nuts,cheeses,milks,chicken,all meat,sea foods! :bigsmile:
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Its not really that hard. I take in 165g and I only weigh 126...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You can't really build muscle while losing weight. You can get some newbie gains.
    I would worry more about heavy lifting than adding much more protein,

Get some whey protein shakes from the store and call it a day,.

*saw your against powder. I was a vegetarian for 15 years. Its almost impossible to make out what your trying to do. Something is going to give. Time, muscles mass, food. In my case I had horrific stomach pains and cravings suddenly.

Best of luck!
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Almonds, almond butter (on rice cakes!). I did the same thing mine was too low. Nuts, seeds, eggs, cottage cheese. I am currently on vegan protein powder even though I am a meat eatery. The whey protein gave me run for my sinuses (allergies). They pea protein or hemp. Tofu or tofu combinations.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Add the made baking gym addict. She if on both my fitness pal and facebook. Has great ideas. Yogurt (vegan alternative). Soy products.
  • mindovercakes
    mindovercakes Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everybody who responded :flowerforyou:

Just to clarify, I am not against protein powders, I was just wanting to explore alternatives, and actually see if there were any. I am grateful for all the suggestions, I already incorporate most of them in my daily diet, so it looks as though I will need to look at protein powder, after all. Thanks again :)

Anna
  • danalynngraham
    Options
    I am going to a weight loss Dr. and he has me eating like 1000 calories a day and under 20/25 grams of fat but the app on here say i need more and im in starvation mode and im at a stall on weight loss...what do i do to get to lossing again completely starve?