Ok so i'll admit im shy when it comes to talking bout my wei

Options
Hey all,

My name is Katie and I'm 18 heading off to college and I really want to lose weight in order to be healthier and look healthier. Im friends with a lot of people who take care of them selfs and I also look in the mirror and compare and i feel that if I dont do something this wont go away so i decided enough is enough and I need to stay losing weight. A women who came to my register told me about this site and said she lost 20 pounds so i thought I should give it a chance. :)

Replies

• knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Welcome. We're all in the same boat here.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That's exactly it - we are all in this together. Good for you for taking the first steps towards being a healthier you!
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's right.. and because we're all in the same boat, everyone here is ready to encourage and motivate you! Stick with it, and you can do it!!!
  • breez1691
    breez1691 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank You :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Great first step. Committment to a healthier you is really worth while. You will find tons of info on the Message Boards. Make friends with people you can share things with (annon of course) and they will root you on to do more! Good Luck!
  • kathiem70
    kathiem70 Posts: 4
    Options
    Welcome Katie! Congratulations on wanting to be healthier! We are all here to support and motivate each other to be the best we can be.
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    i used to be too....but once you start losing you will announce it to the world!
  • breez1691
    Options
    Thanks guys that means a lot to me to know that I'm not alone in this fight against weight issues :)
  • springcheeks
    Options
    So glad you decided to join the ranks. And its true, once you start losing weight you will be too excited to keep it secret. Its hard work changing lifestyle and eating habits, be proud of yourself!
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

My name is Katie and I'm 18 heading off to college and I really want to lose weight in order to be healthier and look healthier. Im friends with a lot of people who take care of them selfs and I also look in the mirror and compare and i feel that if I dont do something this wont go away so i decided enough is enough and I need to stay losing weight. A women who came to my register told me about this site and said she lost 20 pounds so i thought I should give it a chance. :)

Welcome and congrat for you....but you look so tiny in your picture. How much weight do you want to loose? I think HEALTH to achieve long term. Example, I was 110 lbs when I was 20, I would look pretty funny at 50 (almost an old lady) at 110 lbs, , ALMOST I said haha.....don't get caught up in the numbers, be heart strong. toned, and most of all FEEL GOOD.....As Adam Sandler says "You can do it" so do it!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    hey girl - I'm going into my second year of undergrad. let me tell you... college can either make or break the weight loss thing. it is up to you to choose the healthy, wholesome lifestyle! in my case, i lost 10-ish pounds before coming to MFP during my first year at university and I've now lost another 10 since early May, so you can either...

1) Booze all the time, rarely sleep except for weekends, eat the pizza and fried-ness that's often a big seller in dining halls, not walk all the time, not use the rec. center, procrastinate 85% of the time
    OR
    2) Booze on special occasions in moderation/not at all, sleep a decent amount most nights, choose whole foods as often as possible and see if there's a farmer's market near your campus for you to visit, walk all the time, use the rec. center, procrastinate 25% of the time (I only had to pull one all-nighter all year :P)

you sound like a smart girl already so I'm pretty sure you'll choose the latter or something like it. i've seen friends of mine who used to be healthy now chunky and wasted half the time, and I've seen friends who used to be obese now at a great weight. college is going to be so, so incredibly cool for you. you'll have to walk to class and such, the rec. center is probably open all the time and they probably have classes there, and you will have so much freedom in choosing how to live. remember - slow and steady really does win the race, and you are a beautiful person - your body is your temple so choose wisely what you're putting in it!! :)
  • anaruhl
    anaruhl Posts: 3
    Options
    Welcome to MFP this place is amazing! I'm addicted like its facebook. I too used to be shy however i've just started throwing my thoughts out there and everyone has been so nice. My friend just joined too you should befriend her, her name id jbaby
  • breez1691
    Options
    lol my pic doesnt look like me since i was wearing some what baggy clothes but i did talk with a doctor and they said a healthy weight for me would be 140 ibs and of course if i looked 10 that would be weird but i want to be skinny again lol
  • stringsNlinks
    Options
    ps: congrat on going to college, best wishes on that. I have 2 daughters that are currently doing that and then a third coming around the bend.
  • breez1691
    Options
    ps: congrat on going to college, best wishes on that. I have 2 daughters that are currently doing that and then a third coming around the bend.

yeah I'm so excited about college! its going to be fun :)
  • breez1691
    Options
    hey girl - I'm going into my second year of undergrad. let me tell you... college can either make or break the weight loss thing. it is up to you to choose the healthy, wholesome lifestyle! in my case, i lost 10-ish pounds before coming to MFP during my first year at university and I've now lost another 10 since early May, so you can either...

1) Booze all the time, rarely sleep except for weekends, eat the pizza and fried-ness that's often a big seller in dining halls, not walk all the time, not use the rec. center, procrastinate 85% of the time
    OR
    2) Booze on special occasions in moderation/not at all, sleep a decent amount most nights, choose whole foods as often as possible and see if there's a farmer's market near your campus for you to visit, walk all the time, use the rec. center, procrastinate 25% of the time (I only had to pull one all-nighter all year :P)

you sound like a smart girl already so I'm pretty sure you'll choose the latter or something like it. i've seen friends of mine who used to be healthy now chunky and wasted half the time, and I've seen friends who used to be obese now at a great weight. college is going to be so, so incredibly cool for you. you'll have to walk to class and such, the rec. center is probably open all the time and they probably have classes there, and you will have so much freedom in choosing how to live. remember - slow and steady really does win the race, and you are a beautiful person - your body is your temple so choose wisely what you're putting in it!! :)

thank you so much for what you said :) and I really want to get this weight off so I know im going to keep good sleeping habits and drinking to a minimum or not drink at all lol
  • stringsNlinks
    Options

OR

You sound like a smart girl....my daughter did #2 and she found a job in the college gym....she's a runner and loves it. In fact she acts as my drill sargeant when she's home. Love her (and hate) her all at the same time when she is making me run the 5 miles. Not really she is awesome.

So basically I think what you wise "chatter" is saying is it's all about choices.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!! I work at a physical therapy clinic, and they are all health NUTS (like "Oh, I'm running 14 miles this sunday" healthy.) I got tired of being "the heavy girl" at work. Plus, I got married last Octobe,r and we want to get pregnant next July. I refuse to put my baby at risk because I'm lazy and love fast food. So, essentially, I'm losing weight to get pregnant to gain weight, lol. But it will be HEALTHY weight, and then I won't have to work all of this weight off, plus baby weight.

ANYWAY, enough about me, welcome, and this community is wonderful. Try and get some friends on here, or friend some people, so you can hold each other accountable. I have good friends who started this before me, and both of them are 30 lbs down, and it is great to see each others postings everyday, and exchange healthy finds!
  • stringsNlinks
    Options

OR

You sound like a smart girl....my daughter did #2 (not in her pants haha, I'm sorry) and she found a job in the college gym....she's a runner and loves it. In fact she acts as my drill sargeant when she's home. Love her (and hate) her all at the same time when she is making me run the 5 miles. Not really she is awesome.

So basically I think what you wise "chatter" is saying is it's all about choices.

• mfrazier87
    mfrazier87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good for you getting a jump on it before college! I graduated in 09' and boy do I wish I'd kept up with my fitness those four years. an 18 year old metabolism and a 23 year old metabolism are two very VERY different things. I also built up a lot of bad eating habits in college that have been hard to break now that I'm 5 years deep into them.

The best advice I can give is to make as much of your own food as you can. Most college cafeterias do stock healthy options, but they put them next to the chicken fingers and french fries and the same temptation every day over a long period of time is hard to say no to. I know dorm space is limited and sometimes dorm kitchens can be a little sketchy, but with a mini fridge, a blender, a hot pot, and mini salad spinner there are lots of ways to make yourself something healthy in the comfort of your own room.

Best of luck to you and keep up the good work