Hitting the mid-40's weightloss is harder blues

Options
Hello everyone!

I signed up with MFP 2 weeks ago after realizing it is a lot tougher to lose weight in my mid-40's than it was before. I've done the fad diets. I recently tried the Green Coffee Bean & Raspberry Ketones joke. What a waste of money that was. I didn't lose a single pound. I've been up and down the scale in the past after having my kids and was always able to get the weight off. Working out has always been something I thrived on. After the new year, I had surgery and gained 15 pounds. I cannot believe how out of shape I have become and how long the recovery process has taken. Even though I am currently within the range for my height and weight, 5 feet 2 and 125 pounds, my baseline has always hovered between 110 and 115. I'm still not fully able to do these tough workouts like Insanity and I am still not able to do push ups all the way. My body keeps telling me I'm still healing I guess. Anyways, I've learned a lot already about changing my food intake and trying to eat cleaner, more fruit and doing the green smoothies every day. I've lost 2.5 pounds so feel successful in that, but I am constantly surprised at how difficult I'm finding it to get on the treadmill or stair climber and complete my workouts every day. I've been aiming for 90 minutes a day. Thank you for any insight you may have and looking forward to becoming a part of MFP. :-)

Replies

• ffmedic2112
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I really wish I would have started earlier but with persistence, motivation and, for me, a LOT of help from friends I believe it's obtainable.
  • rafiki2013
    rafiki2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel Free To Add Me
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    The general forums can be a little "noisy" sometimes, buy you will find many helpful, knowledgeable people in the groups section.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    is a good place to start.
  • DotPett
    DotPett Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You just might have to work a little harder at it. I will be 48 in a couple weeks. I feel your pain....but
    mostly mine. Everything hurts all the time! It sucks growing old!
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good for you that you are trying to get yourself back in shape - post surgery - it can be a challenge for sure - but hon - I'm 61 and yeah, the weight doesn't come off like it did in my 20's, 30's or 40's - but it's coming off - It sounds like you are doing all the right things - I can't say I'd be wanting to be on a treadmill for 90 minutes! That sounds like torture to me - if you LOVE it then yeah - I'd say keep at it - don't force it - do what you can until your body adapts and heals - it takes longer for your body to jump back after surgery as we get older as well! I eat as clean as possible and stay within my calorie range and go to ZUMBA classes 6 to 7 days a week - 90 minute and 60 minute classes and once a week try to get to a 2 hour class. These are high intensity classes and I can keep up with much younger participants. It IS do-able - I joined in January and have lost about 25 pounds so far....the inches are falling off - I'm down 2 sizes from when I started. So, yes - the process might be a bit slower - but give it time - I didn't start out doing 2 hour classes - I worked my way up to it - congratulations for taking care of yourself - let go of the frustration and do what you can each day - build on it - you'll be back in no time! Please feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! Always glad to give support.
    Cheers and Aloha! Lynn:flowerforyou:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am 56 yrs old and started back in October 2012. Since then I have lost overall 1lb a week, which was the amount I intended to lose.

I have eaten around 90 % healthy and weighed, measured and truthfully logged all food and drink.

Coming from a place where I had done little /no exercise for over nearly two years, I also found exercise difficult. I started doing 30 Day Shred as I found I could manage the 20 minutes, and at the beginning I was not able to do all the exercises and was doing a lot of them as modified. Within 24 days I was bored with 30DS but had found that I enjoyed the parts done with small dumbbells.

I kept reading on MFP about women lifting heavy and I read and googled and generally research over a few days. After gathering all the information, I started Stronglifts 5 x 5. All this with very bad knees and also a problematic hip from an injury as a child.

Eating at a sensible deficit has brought my weight to within a few lbs of my target weight, but lifting heavy has brought my body to a shape/measurements I would only have dreamed of when I started out in October 2012. My knees improved within a couple of weeks of lifting and I now feel no pain in them and my hip has vastly improved.

I do not believe that age is a barrier to weight loss and does not make any difference to the time it will take. Certain medical conditions will also improve/benefit from reduced weight and exercise.

OP forget about your age and just eat at a sensible calorie deficit and find an exercise that you find enjoyable and you will succeed.
  • ti032
    ti032 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there ! Most important thing is to listen to your body- allow yourself time to heal. So since your body isnt there yet, start preparing your mind. Starting with positive thoughts, claim your Victory!!! Dont worry your body will catch up- when it has healed. Congrats on taking this step to becoming a Healthier YOU !!! Yaay!!! :happy: :happy:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and can hardly believe the transformation in my body since last June. I have lost 43 lbs, which is terrific, but recently I have become really aware of how much fitter I am. Last year I had a damaged knee and could hardly get in and out of the car. Even walking on the level I was out of breath! Constant pain, even in bed.
    I have been doing 1 hr a day on gym machines. - 400 calories. - elliptical, rowing and recumbent cycle. Just recently I have been doing planks, girly push ups, squats and crunches. I have also started with dumbbells to cure my bingo wings. I also have more or less cured my really bad feet with exercises.
    I go to yoga once a week.
    I think it is important to get variety in your exercise plan. 90 mins doing one thing sounds boring. But it can be done. I was the most unfit person I knew. Now I am one of the fittest. At 63. In a year's time you wont believe how far you've come. :flowerforyou:
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and started my weight loss program in Apr 2012 (I was 57 and weighed 236), I found MFP in Jul 2012. I reached my goal of 155 on Easter 2013. I used MFP to log in my food and exercise daily--i certainly didn't jump for joy when it was time to exercise, I just pulled up my size 11 BIG Girl panties and did it (but I was always glad I did when I finished--or sometimes BECAUSE it was finished).

Here is a link to my story--http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/950527-58-years-old-and-81-pounds-gone-pics-too

as you can see by my weekly weigh-in stats at the end, I lost weight in mostly onesie-twosies--you've gotta keep your eye on the present situation (today's healthy eating & exercise) and keep moving forward from one day to the next, it will eventually all add up in the end.

One of the best quote's I've seen is: IF IT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, YOU'LL FIND A WAY. IF NOT, YOU'LL FIND AN EXCUSE. Ditch the excuses, find your way to a healthy you starting right this minute.

PS: I'm not into the 'social network friending' thang but I'm sure you'll have no problem finding folks on MFP who have walked the pathway that you're on; it's not easy, but worth it...don't wait till you're 58 like I did.