Protein shakes/ meal replacement shakes

Options
if anyone is taking protein shakes, what are you taking? I'm looking to start drinking a protein / meal replacement shake but worried they might tast chalky or gritty. Any suggestions on good ones? thanks!

Replies

• TattooMom76
    Options
    I like the jillian micheals vanilla protein powder
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was given wey protein shake, hated it, didn't taste so nice and didn't full me up at all. not sure of the name sorry as I give it to my adult son. sorry i cant help you more
  • watertown35
    Options
    i have found that Muscle Milk Chocolate powder is the best "tasting" protein powder on the market (mixed with water). Now, a lot of other powders that I have tried with water just simply taste terrible. Most people do not want to mix it with milk to avoid the fats in milk. Try mixing it with Vanilla Almond Silk Soy milk. Less fat, less calories, and honestly it doesn't taste bad either. Downfall - its a little costly. Your looking at spending around $3.50 for a half gallon compared to that price for a whole gallon of 2% or whole milk. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  • stark71
    stark71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use Whey protein and they really taste nice
  • lmb3171999
    lmb3171999 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i just started using 100% Whey Protein Powder in Frosty Chocolate. It was only $20 for about a month supply. It tastes like a milkshake with Milk. Water is not as good. I read online (take with a grain of salt) that you should look for something with the least amount of ingredients, most of which you can pronounce, and around 25 grams of protein for weight loss. There were several I saw at the store that had 60 grams of protein, which is considered a mass gainer for muscle builders. Hope this information helps!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I personally don't drink them because I don't like the taste and I don't like how processed they are. Protein shakes are simply a supplement to use if you are not getting adequate protein from real foods. You don't have to drink a shake as it won't do anything other than up your protein levels.

When I do drink a protein drink I tend to go for Weider brands. I'm sure it's not the highest of quality but it gets me 20g of protein for 90 cals. I mix it into water instead of something like crystal light as they are fruit flavoured and mix up really well. It's the only one I've found that has a good taste, mixes well and doesn't cost a fortune.
  • Next50years
    Next50years Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I switch off - I use a soy based shake then switch to a strict protein shake when I buy a new one...why??.... not sure if soy based is good to always be on but soy is good for going through perimenopause/menopause..... I don't mind the taste of most any of them - I usually start my day with one as either have a good amount of protein to get my body going for the day...
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Just mix it and down it. Most shakes and protein bars are delicious now compared to what we had 10-15 years ago. I remember all protein bars tasted like eating sand, and all protein powders wouldn't mix well at all and come out clumpy even in a blender. But we just eat it and get it over with. I know muscle milk tastes good, i use their RTD's. For powder, i use Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. It mixes easily and doesn't taste bad, maybe a little bland though. But i like it.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk tastes good. That's as far as I've gone into the whole protein shake routine. I'm yet to try a bad protein bar, by the way.
  • holtmanjen
    holtmanjen Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been using Advocare products since December and love them! Their meal replacement shakes and protein powder is delicious! I like that the meal replacement shakes are a complete balanced meal with 24 grams of carbs and 24 grams of protein. They are the only ones that fill me up and keep me satisfied for 3 hours. My favorite is the berry... it tastes naughty, like a mcdonalds strawberry milk shake! lol. You can read more about it here... https://www.advocare.com/12129834/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=T2191&id=A&flavor=H

I love the protein powder called Muscle gain. It has enzymes in it to make it "pre-digested", so it doesnt sit heavey in my tummy like alot of others I've tried.. https://www.advocare.com/12129834/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=P4602&id=B&flavor=B&size=P
  • lbpslah
    lbpslah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love Gold Standard Optimum Nutrition whey protein!! My favorite flavor is vanilla ice cream. I mix all my protein powders with Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk. I usually add things like ovaltine, SF, FF pudding mix or extracts. If I mix in a blender i use frozen fruit. OH and I sweeten with truvia or splenda.
  • Geminihuntress
    Geminihuntress Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't use the protein powders. I don't like what's in them. (my opinion and choice) I uses natural foods instead. Takes a little longer to throw the stuff together than just dropping in a scoop. But much more healthier. Here is one recipe....

2 handfulls of spring greens or spinach
    1 avocado
    1 cup raspberries
    1 orange
    1 cup mango
    1/8 cup cashews or almonds ( I don't like cashews)
    water (as much or as little to get the consistency you prefer)
  • tiffany484
    tiffany484 Posts: 17
    Options
    I like pure protein frosty chocolate, that one tastes good and is really thick and chocolatey, but I also use designer whey but only because its lower calories... It doesn't taste too great.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I use plant-based proteins: Plant Fusion & Raw Fusion, both simple ingredients, lo-cal (around 120-130 per scoop), VERY easy on digestion, and mix just find with water in a shaker cup. I usually start my day with a Fruit Smoothie: scoop of protein, 50g blueberries, 50g strawberries & 50g mango with a tsp acai powder & water in the blender. Great boost for after my AM workout & on my drive into work (better than coffee!!)
  • KANSASGIRL69
    KANSASGIRL69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
    Could you post the nutritional content in case someone would like to copy that recipe?
    Please?!
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried them myself, but my roommate loves the Special K meal replacement shakes.
  • KANSASGIRL69
    KANSASGIRL69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Raw Protein Powder...I tried Dymatize and Muscle Milk and they contained Sucralose...eeeewwww...I know a lot of professionals use oats, peanut butter and banana
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECIPES THEY WOULD LIKE TO SHARE?
    Please...