I chose to be FAT!

Options
I was taught in church that ""If it's going to be it's up to me"" I have learned that I can't depend on anyone to make this healthy choice for me, i have to make it for myself. I have to learn to eat the right foods, I have realize that no one holds a gun to my head and tell me to eat that cookie or that ice cream it was a choice made by me. I have choose to be fat. Now it's my time to chose to be healthy. I have came up with every excuse as to the reason i can't do this....well guess what I am out of excuses! It's like with any addiction you first have to admit there is a problem. Well guess what I have a problem with me eating the wrong kind of food. It's not the world problem, it's not my boyfriend problem, its not what society said is the problem it's me...I am my own worse enemy. I am going to turn into my own best supporter. I am not saying this to get replies, to get friends, or to get anything it's like i said it's like a AA meeting. I am admitting I have a problem and need to work it out. I have hit rock bottom and just like i am learning when you hit rock bottom you have to have faith in God to get back to the top! Please don't come and tell me how i can join this link, this site, this support group because it is still going to be up to me!!! If there is anyone out there that feels the same way please let me know so we can fight this addiction together!!!! Thanks for reading! God bless you!!!

Replies

• BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think you hit the truth saying that you have to realize there's a problem. I had a wake up call as well when I finally decided to try and lose the weight and still couldn't. Turns out I had a thyroid problem for years, hence the extreme gain and not being able to lose. I still don't make excuses, even though that's not my fault in the least. I made poor food choices, everyone does sometimes. I don't use the disorder as a crutch either. It might take a long time for the weight to come off, but it will, and it is. And as soon as I have this baby, i'm right back to it.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Amen! You can do this!!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Yes, personal choices matter. But so do our environments. You should try to eliminate or minimize contact with environments and people that don't support your choice to lose weight, become healthy, and look better.
  • Mellywellypoo
    Options
    Exactly!!! you took the words right out of my mouth. It's my fault I'm this way and I need to do something about it. NO ONE but me can make the change/decision to do something about it.

You got this. And so do I.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You have to be in the right frame of mind to be successful at getting fit and healthy and it sounds like you are now so good luck in your journey.

Remember that there may be days or possibly weeks when you can't really be bothered but just keep your goal in mind, do your best and get right back to it when you feel in a good place again. Praise yourself for all your efforts and remember that this is a lifestyle change and not a race :o)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I was thin & healthy, until a few years ago. Then I pretty much got lazy, started making unhealthy choices and gained a bunch of weight. It is no ones fault but my own.
    <--What I looked like up until a few years ago.
    Yes, personal choices matter. But so do our environments. You should try to eliminate or minimize contact with environments and people that don't support your choice to lose weight, become healthy, and look better.

I don't really agree with this. I only say that, because I was probably the healthiest person in my family. Unhealthy choices were abundant in my house growing up and I still managed to make healthy choices (even if others in my family did not). If I were to "minimize contact," then I'd pretty much have to avoid my entire family, which I refuse to do.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6Rk4CBGP2ZmXstJ_z2KXlb1T4bFgJ-q5wjUJdNnNq_MJYqOhZ
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    wish there was a like button on MFP! Best of luck and way to go!
  • biswas
    biswas Posts: 5
    Options
    Good Luck!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Amen, sister!

Always remember, too, that you CAN DO THIS!
  • FromFat2Phat2013
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and support!!! God be with all of us!!!:smooched:
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Making the decision to change your life by yourself and for yourself is the hardest part--and you've accomplished that! Good luck--we're here for you!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    wish there was a like button on MFP! Best of luck and way to go!

such a grown up thing to know :flowerforyou: good for you and wishing you all the best
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You have taken the first step to take charge of your life again. God bless you! You can do this.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    10-4 on that! I will be looking forward to your before and after pics in the Success Stories. :flowerforyou:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I was thin & healthy, until a few years ago. Then I pretty much got lazy, started making unhealthy choices and gained a bunch of weight. It is no ones fault but my own.
    <--What I looked like up until a few years ago.

I don't really agree with this. I only say that, because I was probably the healthiest person in my family. Unhealthy choices were abundant in my house growing up and I still managed to make healthy choices (even if others in my family did not). If I were to "minimize contact," then I'd pretty much have to avoid my entire family, which I refuse to do.

I'm the healthiest person in my family. I've never been overweight and am 100 pounds (up from the 90s some decades ago). Everyone else in my family is overweight or obese and has health problems. I am much more committed to being slim and healthy than they are, but it IS much harder for me to make healthy choices when I'm around them because they are so focused on food. I do much better when I'm on my own. I have similar problems in offices in which food is constantly on offer.

If you are in a family that stuffs itself and are seriously overweight you need to find some way to deal with it. Same thing with offices that offer food.

Environment does matter.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Keep the momentum going!:)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Go you! I didn't choose to be skinny, but I am. Health is more important and if you can be healthy and fat, more power to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I don't believe it's as easy as saying it's a choice to be fat though. It's like people who say it's a choice to be happy or miserable... I want to smack them. LOL.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    There's so much truth in what you say. While there are rare exceptions with physical problems, for the most part it's our choice to stuff our bodies with poor food choices and to let our fitness level decline. Often it's not a conscious choice, but one that happens based on emotional factors, environmental influences, and many other things. The great thing is, we can all reclaim our bodies if we decide to change things up, make the right choices, and make being healthy a top priority that outweighs all the temptations and negative influences.