5'9'' and 105 lbs? What the heck?? IC Diet, Need to Gain

Options
I was recently sick and lost an incredibly large amount of weight. When I recovered, I was put on a special diet that cut the majority of foods I used to eat from my diet. I can't eat chocolate, citrus, onion, tomato, coffee/tea, sharp cheeses or anything hot/spicy and overly flavorful. I was already a bit underweight and trying to gain, but this is ridiculous! I stepped onto the scale this morning and my jaw dropped. So help! I need to gain weight fast! Any meal ideas?

Replies

• marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Maybe try looking for a weight gainer protein shake thingy? I'm trying to lose, so I stick to the protein powders around 125 calories per scoop, but I know they make ones that are a couple hundred calories per scoop. Nuts and nut butters are high calorie with good fats. I would just try to stick to healthier, but higher calorie options. Good luck! I know we don't have the same goals, but I'm 5'9 too, feel free to add me :D
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You mentioned sharp cheeses, but can you still do dairy? If you are trying to get in more calories whole milk can help.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My son is chronically underweight and has been his entire life. He had a feeding tube installed at 2 for supplimental feeds.

Anyway, here are some of the suggestions I was given that might help you.

1. Don't eat anything plain. Dip your veggies in ranch or any other kind of dressing you like. Dip fruit in peanut butter or yogurt.

2. Buy full fat everything. Yogurt, meats, etc.

3. Smoothies are your friends. Make them with whatever you like. Dump some protein powder in for good measure.

If all else fails, find a meal replacement shake with a healthy dose of calories and suppliment. Just remember not to drink it less than an hour before bedtime or it might haunt you.

Hope these help.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    In addition to shakes like Scandishake or Ensure, you can try adding calories to your diet the way many people with Cystic Fibrosis do:

http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/respire/cffding.html

Good luck -- I know how hard it can be to gain weight.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on MFP calorie calculator use the harris benedict or katch-mcardle. for your calorie needs. Remember these are just tools. If you find you are still not gaining add more calories. Don't eat 6-7 meals per. day every 2-3 hours. By doing that your digestive system is constantly working. Have 4-5 larger meals every 4-6 hours.
  • k8wizzo
    k8wizzo Posts: 33
    Options
    Lots of help with diet and symptom control here (assuming that this is the IC that you're talking about... my mom has it). http://www.ic-network.com/

These are all great foods to eat and there's a new 2012 food list on the site as well.
    Water
    Milk - low-fat & whole
    Fruits - Bananas, Blueberries, Honeydew melon, Pears, Raisins, Watermelon
    Vegetables - Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cucumber, Mushrooms, Peas, Radishes, Squash, Zucchini, White potatoes, Sweet potatoes/yams
    Poultry - Chicken, Eggs, Turkey,
    Meat - Beef, Pork, Lamb
    Seafood - Shrimp, Tuna fish, Salmon
    Grains - Oat, Rice
    Snacks - Pretzels, Popcorn
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    the quickest way would be drinking Ensure, or something like it - it's really good because it offers a well-rounded dose of nutrients that in your limited diet you may have been lacking. There's also nuts, avocados, and using lots of cooking oils with your dishes. When you gain, you may have to expect a little bloating or weight going all to one area like your stomach, but after a little while it will adjust and spread out evenly. You probably know this, but also, if you haven't been eating much, you'll probably have to push yourself to eat until you're really full to stretch your tummy back out and increase your appetite. If you try all this and you're still struggling, it would be good to see a nutritionist so you can be set up with a meal plan for weight gain that works with your medical issues. Good luck :)
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You may also want to try taking digestive enzymes with your meals. They help break down fats, carbs and proteins. Your body naturally produces enzymes but if you are going to take in more calories especially protein, additional enzymes will help.
  • 0atmeal_queen
    Options
    Are you aloud to drink ensure?

Maybe some vegan plant based protein powder?

That sucks that you have to avoid those certain foods ):

Like someone else said, Full fat everything.