Heavy Lifting For Girls, help!

Options
I want to start lifting heavy but I suffer from hypotonia and ehlers danlos syndrome so my joints are quite poor. I'm not sure where to start. I do have a gym membership but definitely cannot afford a personal trainer. Where's a girl to start? Thanks so much guys, I'm excited!

Replies

• AmandaJCole13
    Options
    I don't know very much about your condition, however start light.
    Get your form as perfect as you can.
    After a week or two of that, increase your weight.
    If your joints hurt...go back to a lighter weight and just do more reps to fatique your muscles.

Like I said, I don't know anything about your condition.
    Perhaps you could go see your doctor and ask him or her for suggestions.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I also have EDS. I did 5/3/1 when I started lifting. Using free weights has helped to stabilize my joints but just make sure to keep your form in check so you don't get hurt.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The books that seem to be most popular right now and have built-in programs are Strong Lifts and The New Rules of Lifting for Women. There are also instructional videos for form on YouTube and Bodybuilding.com. Read the book, follow the instructions, check your form with the videos, get input from other lifters in the gym (just ask - you'll be surprised at how much help you're likely to get). There's also some women's lifting groups on here.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I would buy the Starting Strength book...and google Riptoe videos for form

I like this program.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • mercymarque
    mercymarque Posts: 450
    Options
    As others have stated you want you form to be right. Start off with what you can lift with ease but not to heavy do 6-8 reps to start doing three sets. You want to increase as you get your form together. A great place to go is bodybuilding.com Jamie Eason has a 12 week program that provides workout plans and video. It's a free site. Good luck, lifting is like a whole new world. This will tone your body.