Orka help!

Options
nolongerXXL
nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
I love to eat fried Orka, it is a common dish in our house. I'm looking for a healthier alternative to frying it, but would like to keep the crunchy (and breaded?) texture. Does anyone have any good ideas???

No stewed Orka and tomatoes please, YUCK! (IMO!)

Thanks!!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're misspelling the whale or the vegetable, but I'd think steaming wpuld work for either.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're misspelling the whale or the vegetable, but I'd think steaming wpuld work for either.

:laugh:
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Sorry, late and tired.... Okra.

No, I don't think steaming will help... this tends to be a slimy veg, but I will give it a try.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I love to eat fried Orka, it is a common dish in our house. I'm looking for a healthier alternative to frying it, but would like to keep the crunchy (and breaded?) texture. Does anyone have any good ideas???

Thanks!!

yes, I thought the OP wanted a recipe for whale, too.... :bigsmile:
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You may be able to grill it or roast it - I found a couple of recipes on allrecipes.com.

Sadly it is really good breaded and deep fried - but then again most things are.

Edited to add - allrecipes does have a recipe for oven "fried" okra. Personally I love it in gumbo.
  • Dacia327
    Dacia327 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Only one way to eat Orka, and that is fried. I love it fried!
  • iamjaneymac
    Options
    Okra is delicious grilled. I skewer the pods and baste with a little balsamic dressing. My family prefers this to the fried version....imagine that!
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I like okra in soups and gumbo, but I've baked it before and it isn't bad that way. Not as slimy as steaming it. (Fried okra is the best and remains on my list of sometimes food.)
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    spray a little no fat cooking spray, spices of your choice, put in 400 degree oven until lightly brown.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

bread it as normal-but bake it :) i dont inow your recipe, but cornmeal and flour is what we use.

also-its Ok-ra ;)

ETA- Pickle it. pickled okra is proof of a higher power.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
  • NatureWildchild
    NatureWildchild Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love Okra any way you fix it, and this recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking cookbook is EXCELLENT. It's Quick, Easy, and you can definitely cut the oil and make it even healthier. I personally use frozen okra, because fresh cannot always be found.

http://www.seasaltwithfood.com/2009/04/dry-okra.html