Do i have to eat back what i worked off?

Options
Hi guys my TDEE is 1754 with light excercise a I'm not currently working out I'm just a stay at home mum do the school runs general house work etc howeve my hubby is fixing up my excercise bike this evening and I'm hoping to get on that to shift some weight of my thighs. Now my problem is i struggle to reach 1754 calories I'm having to eat loads of nuts in the evening to make sure i hit my TDEE so if i start working out 5 hours a week burning say 400-500 cals a day am i going to have to eat back the cals i worked off.

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless you don't mind being in caloric deficit. If 1754 are calories needed to maintain your current weight and you burn 500 cals by exercising you will be in 500 caloric deficit, therefore lose wight.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    If you start exercising more your TDEE will change, so it's best to figure out your more accurate TDEE (say with moderate exercise instead of light) and recalculate your calorie goals from there. I don't think you necessarily need to eat them back though. I wouldn't worry about it at all unless it really becomes a habit, not if you are just doing it now and then. Maybe exercising more will make you more hungry . . .
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Is 1,754 your TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or your BMR - Base Metabolic Rate? TDEE is what you would eat to maintain your current weight, and BMR is what you would eat if you laid in bed all day.

For weight loss you should try to eat 80% to 85% of your TDEE, and eat back exercise calories. Be sure to look at several sources to calculate exercise calories - they're notoriously inflated on MFP and on exercise machines.
  • leahslooloo
    leahslooloo Posts: 57
    Options
    Sorry my info wasnt very informative 1754 is my TDEE -20%
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Did you figure your exercise in when you calculated your TDEE?

If not you are either going to want to eat some of the exercise calories back or re-adjust your TDEE taking into account your exercise calories.
  • leahslooloo
    Options
    Just been on scoobys site and worked out what my TDEE-20% would be with 3-5 hours a week exercise and its 1999 :-/ im going to struggle to eat that let alone eat also what I work off :-/
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Just been on scoobys site and worked out what my TDEE-20% would be with 3-5 hours a week exercise and its 1999 :-/ im going to struggle to eat that let alone eat also what I work off :-/

When you figure in exercise, you don't eat back the extra calories from exercise. So if 1999 your 20% deficit for 3-5 hours of exercise per week, then you won't eat back exercise.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    When you calculate your TDEE based on your current activity level you do not eat back exercise calories. You eat the same amount of calories regardless.
  • leahslooloo
    Options
    I see so I could either stick to me 1754 and have to eat the calories back or I can bump calories upto 1999 and I don't have to eat them back
    im getting there sorry im new to all of this ive been so ignorant over the years to my health now I have 3 kids im trying to make a lifestyle change not just a diet so having to learn all the ins and outs to make the most of it

thanks guys :-)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Is 1,754 your TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or your BMR - Base Metabolic Rate? TDEE is what you would eat to maintain your current weight, and BMR is what you would eat if you laid in bed all day.

For weight loss you should try to eat 80% to 85% of your TDEE, and eat back exercise calories. Be sure to look at several sources to calculate exercise calories - they're notoriously inflated on MFP and on exercise machines.

No, you don't eat back exercise calories when you are eating at a cut from TDEE bc exercise is already factored in to your TDEE when you enter in your activity level.

OP, I assume your TDEE is around 2300 if TDEE-20% is 2000. If you continue eating 1700, you'll be at a 600 cal deficit which is a little over half a lb per week. I think that is a perfectly reasonable deficit unless you only have 5-10 lbs to lose. I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your ride!
  • mumtheshopper
    mumtheshopper Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you intend to do on the bike, but it takes a long time to burn 4-500 calories!
  • leahslooloo
    Options
    I don't know how much you intend to do on the bike, but it takes a long time to burn 4-500 calories!

im going to be doing other cardio aswell and some strength training hopefully just starting out steady and building up to the strength side of things :-)