Too much sugar from fruit

Options
Hi guys, I only recently joined this site, and I have been surprised at how many sugary calories are in a lot of the fruits I've been eating. Up until recently I've been eating a large amount of fruit (you could call it a part fruitarean diet), but have since cut back after realising how it can affect fat loss.
I was wondering, is it really that bad to eat over the recommended daily sugar intake if the vast majority of it is coming from fruit?

Also, is it bad to eat alot of fruit for breakfast? As I usually have a big smoothie for breakfast with fruit, low-fat yoghurt and some oatmeal.

Thanks!

Tom

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    not possible. fruit sugars are all fine (as long as they're from FRESH and not canned fruit). eat as much as you want.
  • katmustbeskinny
    Options
    It's actually really good to eat fruit in the morning: it gets your metabolism started and more acidic so that you can digest your lunch more easily.

It doesn't really effect anything, the sugar. Just don't stop eating fruit and start eating a lot of things with little to no sugar, such as starches. The complex carbs are good for you, but not on overdose.

You should be fine.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I dont worry about sugars from fruit. Before this site, I would avoid fruit because I was told it was not healthy. Pffft. Guess which time I have sustained a healthy diet?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    we're primates. we're supposed to eat fruit. sugar from fresh whole fruit won't do you any harm unless you have medical issues that affect how your body processes sugar, or if you're allergic to fruit or something.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Oh! Okay, can I append a question on to this one? I too was shocked at the sugars, but also the CARBS from fruit. I'm trying to stay within my macros, but if I want to snack on some raspberries I've frozen (because I like them like that), or snarf down a banana - BOOM there goes a bunch of carbs.

Are the carbs from fruits also a bad thing or ok? I'm trying really hard to stay within my macros so want o be sure that if I go over it's for something good.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Oh! Okay, can I append a question on to this one? I too was shocked at the sugars, but also the CARBS from fruit. I'm trying to stay within my macros, but if I want to snack on some raspberries I've frozen (because I like them like that), or snarf down a banana - BOOM there goes a bunch of carbs.

Are the carbs from fruits also a bad thing or ok? I'm trying really hard to stay within my macros so want o be sure that if I go over it's for something good.

fruit carbs are good.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yay! :bigsmile:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    1. Carbs aren't evil. Carbs are necessary. Carbs often get a bad rap because they're used as a delivery system for calorie-dense fats and sweet treats. Broccoli is a carb, and I'm not aware of any sources other than elementary school kids advocating less broccoli as part of a healthy lifestyle.

2. Unless you are diabetic, prediabetic, or hypoglycemic, or on some spiffy new "all pastries and ice cream diet," there's not really a good reason to track sugar separately from other carbs. You'll just stress yourself out unnecessarily over something unlikely to actually impact your dietary or fitness goals.

3. Meal timing as a useful or necessary tool isn't really a thing; it's just a social construct. Your body doesn't care if it's getting fruits and vegetables when it first wakes up, or protein, or lipids. It just cares that it gets the right amounts of these things through the course of the day. If you feel better with fruits in the morning, do that. If you think your best choice is lots of protein in the morning and carbs later on, do that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    1. Carbs aren't evil. Carbs are necessary. Carbs often get a bad rap because they're used as a delivery system for calorie-dense fats and sweet treats. Broccoli is a carb, and I'm not aware of any sources other than elementary school kids advocating less broccoli as part of a healthy lifestyle.

2. Unless you are diabetic, prediabetic, or hypoglycemic, or on some spiffy new "all pastries and ice cream diet," there's not really a good reason to track sugar separately from other carbs. You'll just stress yourself out unnecessarily over something unlikely to actually impact your dietary or fitness goals.

3. Meal timing as a useful or necessary tool isn't really a thing; it's just a social construct. Your body doesn't care if it's getting fruits and vegetables when it first wakes up, or protein, or lipids. It just cares that it gets the right amounts of these things through the course of the day. If you feel better with fruits in the morning, do that. If you think your best choice is lots of protein in the morning and carbs later on, do that.

1) carbs are actually physiologically unnecessary, but it's going to be tough to meet your micronutrient goals without them (vitamins + minerals)

2) refined sugars are processed differently from natural fruit sugars

3) meal timing is useful or not depending on a person's specific goals and calorie needs, which... is sort of what you were getting at, but i wouldn't go so far as to say meal timing is not useful across the board.
  • lrobrn
    lrobrn Posts: 17
    Options
    I had this same issue when I satarted paying attention to all the numbers. I tried following the food pyramid and still found myself over on sugars. I find that apples, bananas and oranges have the highest sugar so started adding stawberries and mangos which are lower. Fresh fruit is still healthy so I don't sweat the sugar count as much but am finding that I'm usually not as far over now. Unfortunately there is sugar in almost all foods so follow your log and see where you can maybe make small changes. Again, I'm not too concernd anymore because I know I'm eating much healthier and much less since joining this site.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch up some fruit choices with veggie choices? I'm a huge fan of sugar snap peas and love them plain. There are about 3 grams of sugar per serving compared to 13 grams for an apple. Baby carrots just have 4 grams of sugar per serving. But since starting here on MFP - I've learned to truly appreciate the apple as an afternoon snack. It's so disappointing when I forget to pack one for work.
  • tom10239487
    tom10239487 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks alot for all the helpful responses- just what I wanted to hear :D I didn't think it could possibly be that bad to eat lots of fruit, but I just wanted to clarify.

@iggyboo93, yep I have done, I put veg like spinach and sometimes carrots in my smoothies to balance it out a little. And contrary to the belief of my housemates, it still tastes delicious!
  • hyby
    hyby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with previous posts. I was a little annoyed upon returning to the site - I'd forgotten about the fruit issue. I've been a pescetarian since I was fourteen, and I rely more on beans and soy protein than fish as it is. Since I try to eat whole foods whenever possible, I'm always amazed at the sugar (and carb) totals that spring up. Food as healthy as spinach, beans and grapes will jack up my totals. I suggest eating your whole foods without added sugar or fats, and adding up your total of processed sugars and carbs instead.
  • hyby
    hyby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, only carbohydrate consumption naturally stimulates production of serotonin. It's hard enough dieting without the blues. So allow yourself that slice of multi-grain bread, or some sweet potatoes.
  • Lorix94
    Lorix94 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Look at my profile pic! I ate 4-5 fruit per day ;)
    fruit is full of fiber (carbs-fiber= net carbs) so I guess fruit is good
    And don't forget vitamins !!