how to measure the right portions without a scale

Options
I need to keep my calorie intake at about 1290. I'm finding that pretty hard to do. First I want to figure out how to know I'm really taking the right portions without having to go out and buy a scale. Anyone with any advise?

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that I found about portions.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5660375_calculate-food-portions-scale.html
  • sammybov
    sammybov Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anything in packets split into serving size packs. ie. if a packet of crackers says servings 6 then split the pack evenly into 6 zip lock bags. I find it really handy to be able to grab them out the pantry to take to work for lunch
  • bakerswife
    bakerswife Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks to both of you.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    WebMD has a good portion size thingy. They even have a printable one.. Just know the portions it gives are based on American items. ie a baseball (In case you are not an American)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate
  • bakerswife
    bakerswife Posts: 23
    Options
    Perfect! Now I'm ready to go. Weight loss; here I come!!
  • Funnydream
    Funnydream Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Balfonso - that e-how page is very useful!!! Thanks.
  • anti
    anti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not really into doing food diaries or measuring calories, as it goes against the idea that to get to and stay at a healthy weight requires a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Plus I don't have time for it.

I think the main thing is for me to be aware that I was probably eating double of what is necessary. Therefore, I've simply started using the smaller plates in our set instead of the dinner plates, like in this image:

http://www.horsegift.com/just_polo_file/one_of_polo_plate_set_p.jpg

I'm generally having four small plates of food a day instead of three much larger ones, and hoping that this, together with eating more healthily and enough exercise, will be sufficient without all the calorie counting and food diary stuff.

Anyway, limiting the plate size obviously helps to limit the portions to about the right size too.
  • Funnydream
    Options
    Nice if you can do it - personally, I prefer to gauge pretty much exactly what I'm consuming. if I were to guess - great idea as it is - for sure I would fail. But we're all different.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not really into doing food diaries or measuring calories, as it goes against the idea that to get to and stay at a healthy weight requires a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Plus I don't have time for it.

I think the main thing is for me to be aware that I was "probably" eating double of what is necessary.

Without counting how do you know?

I thought the same way you did for a while, and I did lose some weight. But, it wasn't until I started counting calories, and keeping food and excerise diary that I changed my lifestyle. It was through that, that I learned what to eat, about how much. Which foods I could go crazy on, and which foods to eat sparingly.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump for the websites! Thanks guys! :flowerforyou:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    And to the OP

Don't buy a food scale, buy a small shipping scale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html

Like I said earlier, some things you can do and be successful. However, I was MUCH MORE successful after I bought this scale.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    bump I don't have a scale either so this is great for me.

Looks like I've been underjudging my tablespoon size. Gotta keep on that.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have used a food scale for years. For me, I need to weigh and measure my food because I will cheat on my guestimations. I also track my food because I have severe food amnesia and forget what I have eaten. Everyone has their own way of doing this program and if you can do it without weighing and measuring then that is what you should do. There are times when measuring tools are not available so it is good to become familiar with what a serving looks like. Weight Watchers uses the following: 3 oz. portion of meat is about = to a deck of cards in size, A large bagel is about = to the size of a DVD, A cup of rice is about = to the size of a tennis ball, and a large potato is a about = to a light bulb in length.
  • Funnydream
    Options
    iplayoutside. I agree totally. I was just reading an article about a celeb here in the UK who shrank from a generous 16 down to a UK size 8. She claimed she did it JUST by limiting her portions - not calorie counting. That way lies madness for me. Also , it sounds very cool to casually imply "me? on a diet ...no, no, no .... I just am very careful about what I eat. I just have smaller portions". With celebs, what we don't see is the personal trainer, the personal chef, the fitness guru, the expensive health spas. Then they act all cool and deny they have been dieting. Meanwhile, ordinary people like us read about the new slim celeb and think we can do the same. It doesn't work that way!

Also I think, honestly, that is a bit of a con. The food industry has a vested interest in us overeating - it supports a vast industries including the obvious - food and diet products. If I guesstimate what's on my plate I know I would be kidding myself it was OK as long as the portion is small. That only works if you know the calorie value of all foods - so for me it is never a wasted exercise becoming very familiar with them. If I allowed myself to have "just a handful" of whatever food, I KNOW I would chuck on an extra half handful. So for me proper old fashioned counting is the only way I can maintain my new healthy weight.
  • anti
    anti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think using smaller plates is still a good habit, even if you're measuring your food, since studies show that psychologically people feel more satisfied with less food when it's served on 8" plates instead of 10" or 12" plates.

My reasoning for trying not to 'calorie count' is that there are plenty of thin, healthy people around who *don't* watch everything they eat obsessively. They simply eat healthier, smaller portions, don't snack, and are more active; they've just got good habits and balanced lives. In fact I was one of those people until my early thirties - I never gave my food, weight or fitness a second thought. That's where I want to be again, not constantly dieting and measuring, and thinking about my next meal. For me, doing enough vigorous and varied exercise is the more difficult aspect of it.
  • Funnydream
    Options
    Anti - I agree, the plate thing is a great idea, and I will try it myself. The thing is, different things work for different people - and as long as they do work, then all is good!

I am the total opposite of you. Without limits, I go in to freefall. It's crucial for me to have a set amount of a measurable food - then I don't overeat. Without that, I am lost. One of the compelling things about this site is the insight on how other people manage their weight loss and maintenance. I would love to be able to do what you describe - but I don't trust myself just yet (maybe never will?).

Good Luck anyway. if it's right for you then it matters not one jot what anyone else thinks.