Gaining weight- do not know why

Options
I'm 5'0 female, 19 years old and currently 116 pounds. I keep gaining weight and I don't understand why. Using the information myfitness has given me, I clock in around 700-1000 calories a day with generally healthy food, however It's been 3 weeks with no results. I've read about starvation mode but I realize this only occurs when you're actually starving.

I'm not hungry but do feel bloated, maybe it is a psychological factor after seeing my weight. It seems I have to force myself to eat, even after working out (I do about an hour 5/6 times a week* of cardio). The only reason I can think of why this is happening is stress- which I have to admit, I am worried that my effort is not working. If anyone has any other suggestions critiques or could elaborate on starvation mode/stress gaining, I would really appreciate it.

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more!!!

Edit to add: For your height you are in the healthy range.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more!!!

You need to eat AT LEAST your BMR
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    You are doing an hour of cardio 5-6 times daily? So five to six hours daily of cardio? On 700-1000 calories? How are you not passing out??
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You'll probably heart this a dozen times + in this thread, but you definitely need to eat more.

I'm just a little shorter than you (4'11" and 111 lbs). I lose weight eating around 1600 a day. I'm not insanely active most days, but I can eat up to about 1800 and not gain.

Your metabolism is probably stalled out from not getting enough nutrients and calories every day. I would bump it up to at least 1300 a day, probably more.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    good. freaking. lord.

EAT!! Your body is going into starvation mode. No wonder you are gaining.
    You need to at LEAST eat your BMR.
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    have you calculated your bmr? you should be eating at least this number
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    It's already been said, but it's worth repeating: your body needs more food.
  • Radiolanguage
    Options
    Okay, I'm just really nervous of gaining the weight I lost back, I've read a lot on starvation mode and hopefully it is more of a positive myth.

Also I made a spelling error. I'm motivated about working out but no, I don't work out 5/6 times daily- hahah
  • thedanielle3000
    Options
    I think you need to let go of the stress...and trying so hard. Relax and enjoy the work outs and healthy eating...enjoy it and be happy even for small achievments...they'll soon add up to a big change...give yourself time, you can do it x
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    You are doing an hour of cardio 5-6 times daily? So five to six hours daily of cardio? On 700-1000 calories? How are you not passing out??

That's nuts. This is anorexia talking. OP don't play with fire. Eat and lay off the cardio before you have a coronary. Not trying to be mean. But seriously, stop.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 female, 19 years old and currently 116 pounds. I keep gaining weight and I don't understand why. Using the information myfitness has given me, I clock in around 700-1000 calories a day with generally healthy food, however It's been 3 weeks with no results. I've read about starvation mode but I realize this only occurs when you're actually starving.

I'm not hungry but do feel bloated, maybe it is a psychological factor after seeing my weight. It seems I have to force myself to eat, even after working out (I do about an hour 5/6 times a week* of cardio). The only reason I can think of why this is happening is stress- which I have to admit, I am worried that my effort is not working. If anyone has any other suggestions critiques or could elaborate on starvation mode/stress gaining, I would really appreciate it.

umm, why does your profile say you're 23? Kinda fishy post if you can't even get your age correct.
  • harleigh67
    harleigh67 Posts: 131
    Options

I'm not hungry but do feel bloated, maybe it is a psychological factor after seeing my weight. It seems I have to force myself to eat, even after working out (I do about an hour 5/6 times a day of cardio). The only reason I can think of why this is happening is stress- which I have to admit, I am worried that my effort is not working. If anyone has any other suggestions critiques or could elaborate on starvation mode/stress gaining, I would really appreciate it.

OBVIOUSLY YOU DID NOT READ AND UNDERSTAND STARVATION MODE TRY READING IT AGAIN! >>>>
    IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE STARVING IT MEANS YOUR BODY IS!!!!!!!!!
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm just really nervous of gaining the weight I lost back, I've read a lot on starvation mode and hopefully it is more of a positive myth.

Also I made a spelling error. I'm motivated about working out but no, I don't work out 5/6 times daily- hahah

it is NOT a myth. It's reality.
    You NEED to eat your BMR
    End of story.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If you're a healthy weight and still not happy with your body it sounds like you need to add in some sort of weight training to tone up and shed fat. You'd need to stop worrying so much about the scale though as muscle would make you heavier but tighter.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Do you have any symptoms of severe calorie deficits?

If not, how do you measure your food?
  • Radiolanguage
    Options
    When I made the profile I didn't pay attention to age, I am 19 but I can see where you're coming from. I also checked out your link Donyellemoniq.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try and eat more! :)
  • SaebraSpirit
    SaebraSpirit Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more if you want to loose weight. However you can't be eating sugary or junk foods or processed foods, go for meats, vegetables, nuts, cheese, fish and some berries.

Eat atleast your BMR and create a small caloric defecit each day from exercise. (I'm not talking 1000 calorie defecit, I'm talking only 300)
    Then thats it. Try loosing weight too fast or creating a very high defecit for long term and your body will start to hang on to every stored fat cell it has and it will slow your metabolism. This is natural, has been observed in many animals as it prevents your body from starving to death however for practical purposes doesn't help us here. =p

Remember, weight loss especially FAT loss is a very slow and steady change as is weight and fat gain, people don't gain 300lbs overnight from eating one cake or pizza at a party. Neither will they loose 300lbs by doing chronic cardio and burning 3000-4000 calories in a day.

Be patient, eat right, take it slow and steady to win the race!
  • Radiolanguage
    Options
    It seems though that within 2 weeks I've gained 7 pounds.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Ok one more time. How do you measure food?