Eating back calories

Options
jjbebe
jjbebe Posts: 1 Member
I know there are many topics on this but I'm confused. I am doing Insanity right now and I have used the tool on Beachbody to determine how many calories I need to be eating while doing insanity and wanting to lose weight. It says I should be eating 1573. So I have adjusted MFP to have that as my daily goal. I burn about 700-800 calories in a workout, do I eat those back like MFP is telling me or is it the 1573 that I'm supposed to only eat?

Replies

• savetheteaboy
    savetheteaboy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered if you've taken into account exercise when calculating how many calories you're supposed to eat then you should ignore MFP and not eat the calories back.
  • AZMonika
    AZMonika Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow! When I did Insanity, my heart rate monitor showed a calorie burn between 275-400 cals/ workout, depending on what type I was doing for that day.

Im not happy that MFP adds my exercise calories burned to my daily total to eat. This morning I ran 8 miles and MFP has added my deficit from the run to my food calorie total. My usual 1200 daily- plus an additional 875 calories? 2075 calories? Im 5'1" 123 lbs. Theres no way Id eat that much unless I wanted to gain weight. My trainer cant believe the app recommends we do that...crazy. Eat a bit more, sure. All the calories back? No chance.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    If you have read through how MFP is set up when you started your account, you would have noticed that MFP already creates a deficit for you, regardless of exercise. Which means that even if you don't exercise you will lose weight. When you exercise, you further increase that deficit, possibly to an unhealthy level. This is why MFP tells you to eat your exercise calories back. Think of food as fuel. Your body needs fuel.

I always eat back my calories burned!

MFP uses your NEAT to calculate your activity level...when you set your goals, your activity level should be set to a level that is appropriate without exercise. When you do this, exercise is extra and therefore MFP bumps your calorie goal up so that you still NET to your GOAL.

Failure to eat back your exercise calories may result in drastic under eating, particularly if you're at a very large calorie deficit (i.e. 1,200 calories). If your goal is 1,200 calories, you have about 800-1000 calorie deficit from your maintenance level of calories there...that's huge...when you exercise, you make that deficit even bigger which is unnecessary and potentially dangerous. Also, too large a deficit will lead to a metabolic stall...essentially your measly little calorie intake becomes your new maintenance level of calories...then you have to go to work re-booting your metabolism if you ever want to eat normally again...most people put on a few pounds in the re-boot process.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Wow! When I did Insanity, my heart rate monitor showed a calorie burn between 275-400 cals/ workout, depending on what type I was doing for that day.

Im not happy that MFP adds my exercise calories burned to my daily total to eat. This morning I ran 8 miles and MFP has added my deficit from the run to my food calorie total. My usual 1200 daily- plus an additional 875 calories? 2075 calories? Im 5'1" 123 lbs. Theres no way Id eat that much unless I wanted to gain weight. My trainer cant believe the app recommends we do that...crazy. Eat a bit more, sure. All the calories back? No chance.
    I can't believe your trainer recommends letting you get by on 400 to 800 calories a day net.