iifym Macros - how can I eat more protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you! My bf is 39%...hopefully for not much longer!

Is there a good % amount for fats and carbs that you could suggest or is that fairly varied?

Thank you for your advice - much appreciated x

carbs and fat can be whatever you want honestly, as long as fat is as LEAST 20% of your diet. otherwise, find what works best for you.

good luck!
  • helen8297
    helen8297 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ok.

Last question (honestly!)

What do you think my daily calories should be? I'm doing insanity and want to lose weight. I know it shouldnt be anywhere near to 1200 but 1800 feels like it may be too high. Or, maybe i'm just worrying and i shouldnt!

x
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Ok.

Last question (honestly!)

What do you think my daily calories should be? I'm doing insanity and want to lose weight. I know it shouldnt be anywhere near to 1200 but 1800 feels like it may be too high. Or, maybe i'm just worrying and i shouldnt!

x

nope! 1800 is not too high. you're burning hella calories doing Insanity. you're doing all the right things - now's the part where you just have to trust it. and trust it longer than you think you should. that's the hardest part. it's easy to say "well this isn't working" after a week or two, but you can't do that. you have to give it the whole 60 days. your body goes through an adaptive phase at the beginning of any new workout or diet plan, and it takes time to adjust. but trust me, if you eat right and exercise, there's no way you WON'T lose the weight.

:)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    180 seems like a lot! You need 1g per lean lb of body weight. Personally cheese and protein bars have been my friends.
  • DeLaNope
    DeLaNope Posts: 2
    Options
    I've started using ground chicken to hit my protein requirements- because protein powder does not fair well over an 16 hour shift, and I keep dusting up the break room.

It's easy to mix a little blue or feta cheese into ground chicken, add some chopped olives, or sun dried tomatos, and cook. You can bake them if you like, but I always overcook them into little hockey pucks, and have started pan frying them in a little olive oil.

I make a bunch on my off days, and then grab a couple from the fridge to take to work.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary if you want protein suggestions - for protein powder I'd recommend Myprotein.com - good prices, fast delivery (often next day even with standard postage in the UK) and tastes good too.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Howdy everyone,

This might sound like a silly question - but how can I eat more protein easily?

I calculated my own macros and was aiming for 158g of protein a day. Then I had my calories and macros calculated by www.macrofit.com.au. They've suggested upping my calories to 1800 a day and upping the protein to 180g a day - I think i'm going to struggle!!

-I already changed up my breakfast to make them a little more proteiny (peanut butter/eggs etc)
    -I have sandwiches to take to work for the ease of it, have changed thin sliced ham for chunky chicken sandwiches.
    -I can fairly easily have a high protein dinner regularly at home.

Even after those changes I wasn't really getting too near to the 158g target. Now the target is 180g of protein! I'm a teacher and don't have a lot of time to prepare food at school. I can prepare a little at home. Any suggestions for good proteiny snacks?

Would having a protein shake work? Do I need it? I started insanity on Monday this week and i'm enjoying it, should I have a protein shake/smoothie thing for breakfast instead?

Any suggestions/advice would be gratefully received!
    xx

I eat about 7-10 egg whites and eggs for breakfast

I take about 2-3 whey shakes

I eat chicken, tuna, tilapia or turkey at a minimum of 4oz a serving

I eat greek yogurt
  • helen8297
    helen8297 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ok....will do. I trust you! :)

Thank you for your help and patience. xx
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    - whole milk
    - beans
    - nuts, seeds, string cheese for snacks
    - oatmeal

The question was how to eat more protein.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help! How do you all eat your cottage cheese? I'll do a bit of googling. I've never even tried it!

Usually plain, but sometimes mixed with a bit of fruit. Or add seasoning, like pepper.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt mixed with cottage cheese and black pepper and chopped bell peppers.
    Also Greek yogurt with honey oatmeal and granola mixed in.
    You can add a few tbs of skim milk powder to everything you make: cookies, mashed potatoes, lasagna, soups, you get the idea.

Chicken breasts, tuna, and cottage cheese are awesome!

I don't eat meat so I make seitan every week and eat scrambled tofu. I even rely on green veggies like kale and broccoli to boost protein.

Oh, cottage cheese in baked potato!
    Quinoa salad with lentils and veggies.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I regularily hit around 300 g protein a day in the first 1800 calories of my meals. Primarily chicken breast and a protein shake. It can be done. Meat, cottage cheese, greek yogurt...