Hair and working out

Options
Ive been working out religiously 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks and its has taken a serious toll on my hair. Yes this is a minor set back as I prefer to exercise and continue losing weight than have my hair looking good but was wondering if any of you ladies (or men) experience this and whats your solution. Rocking my gym ponytail all the time is starting to suck lol.

Replies

• tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How has it taken a toll on your hair?
  • MzHawthorne
    Options
    Weave, braids and simplicity oil!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I cut off all my hair
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'm natural and at the point where I don't mind sacrificing a good hair day for a killer workout.
  • AshleighTB
    AshleighTB Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I put my hair in braids recently.. got tired of looking a mess so, this will help for a while. Also protects hair.

Edit: I'm natural.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Dry Shampoo (Paul Mitchel Express Dry Wash and LuLu Organics are my favorites)
    Braids
    And Apple Cider Vinegar rinses when I do wash.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym in the mornings before class/homework. I keep a travel hair dryer and an old flat iron in my locker and bring my makeup with me. That way I can have a shower and do my usual morning routine just like any other day. Though, I'll admit my lack of make up and bedhead ponytail look pretty haggard when I get to the gym and am working out... but its all good.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    After I'm done working out, I sweat pretty easily and when I undo my ponytail, my hair tends to be all wavy and especially when it's a hot and humid day, my hair gets all frizzy and I don't like that at all. One of my girlfriends told me after you workout, brush your hair for several minutes.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    my hair gets sweaty after working out, probably where I sweat the most of my whole body. I dont like dry shampoo because it makes my hair feel cake-y. Unfortunately, I will just have to wash my hair to get it to look good again, but it will look bad the next day after my workout.
  • MissTanyaz
    MissTanyaz Posts: 17
    Options
    The sweat .... it makes it that much harder to manage :ohwell:
  • MissTanyaz
    MissTanyaz Posts: 17
    Options
    I never had a weave but would imagine it would be more work to maintain, I may consider braids though. Thanks.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    my hair gets sweaty after working out, probably where I sweat the most of my whole body. I dont like dry shampoo because it makes my hair feel cake-y. Unfortunately, I will just have to wash my hair to get it to look good again, but it will look bad the next day after my workout.

Seriously try the Paul Mitchell Express Dry Wash. It's AMAZING. No cakey dry feeling, no white residue. It's fantastic.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

Seriously try the Paul Mitchell Express Dry Wash. It's AMAZING. No cakey dry feeling, no white residue. It's fantastic.

quoting in agreement
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I never had a weave but would imagine it would be more work to maintain, I may consider braids though. Thanks.

And Majorly itchy! I had a weave in for my wedding, and we went to Jamaica for our honeymoon, and everytime I would sweat (it was incredibly humid there) I would be itchingy my head like crazy! I had to get my husband to remove it while we were there lol.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This is the worst thing about going to the gym a lot. I need to wash my hair 3 times a week and used to go to the gym three times a week so it was perfect. Now I try to do a few times a week where I go in the evening then again the next morning so I only wash it the second time. My hair still gets too dry from washing it too much though! Need to invest in some good hair masks.
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options

No, A weave would be much easier. I wear a weave, sooo much easier.. and i go to the salon to get my hair conditioned and shampooed.
  • GraeKat
    GraeKat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Go natural. Depending on your hair type, once you sweat in it or it gets humid. . it'll look amazing. I rocked the teeny weeny afro for a while, then started dreadlocks. I do understand that's not the solution for everyone. . but they are little to no maintenance. I rinse my hair once a week, spray in some leave-in conditioner. . then go. I give my locs a thorough washing about every other week.
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    Options
    Go natural. Depending on your hair type, once you sweat in it or it gets humid. . it'll look amazing. I rocked the teeny weeny afro for a while, then started dreadlocks. I do understand that's not the solution for everyone. . but they are little to no maintenance. I rinse my hair once a week, spray in some leave-in conditioner. . then go. I give my locs a thorough washing about every other week.

^yes, wash your hair less. Washing strips your hair. Keep styling tools in your gym bag or a round brush ( to travel light) most gyms provide blow-dryers. You'll be looking polished and slim :)
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    This can definitely be an issue. I wear a short pixie cut. I workout @ 5:30 in the morning 3 to 4 days a week during the week and on the weekends. Most days I actually wash and sit under the dryer. It usually only takes about 15 mins to dry. Then I just spike it with a dry wax. I was a hot mess when I was trying to grow it out. I've sacraficed many bad hair days b/c of working out. I just keep telling myself that it won't be this way forever.

I'd rather be on my way to my goal than having nice hair and feeling miserable about myself.

Just don't stop woking out. Its just hair. We can grow it or buy it :)
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options

^This:wink: