Low-Cal Cake? Desperate for suggestions.

Options

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    wow great suggestions for cakes and the just limit how much you have works in theory. However, what about those of us who can not help but consume more then your fair share of the ooey gooey delicousness we do exist. For some of us self control is very difficult. I can pass on the bread and pasta even the meat. But dessert is something I could eat all day everyday. Bring it on.

That would be where I'd have to invest in some smaller loaf pans. Oh, wait, I did! :wink: I know what you mean about hard to resist, but sometimes it really does just boil down to self discipline. Of course, letting the runny-nosed two-year-old help in the kitchen makes a difference. Nothing is tempting enough to get me to eat after him! :sick:
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I found some different options on Hungry Girl when I wanted to make my birthday cake. I mixed 1 box of lemon cake mix with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of no-sugar-added applesauce. I baked it at 350 degrees for the time on the cake box.

When it was done, I mixed equal amounts of refrigerated Cool Whip Free and a whipped white icing, and iced the cake with that.
    Now it was a 2 layer cake, so for the center icing I mixed the Cool Whip Free with a bit of lemon curd, but you don't have to do that. (:

The icing was a bit sticky and thin, but altogether the cake was VERY good. I really recommend it! I'm sure you could try other combinations than the lemon cake, too.

Where I found the idea:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1543
  • kanegirl973
    kanegirl973 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    3 - 2 - 1 cake (personal cake)

1 box of any flavor cake mix ..... 1 box of angel food cake
    2 table spoons of water

Pour the any flavor cake mix and the angel food cake mix into a ziplock bag and shake it up so its mixed ......Put 3 Tbsp. of the cake mixes in a microwave bowl ...add 2 tablespoons of water ..stir ....put in microwave for 1 minute ....you can add fruit, whip cream , chocolate chips or whatever you want depending on the any flavor cake
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't want to do cupcakes because my mom's a cake decorator.

I understand that, but I guess I don't understand why she can't decorate cupcakes-- I know a couple of cake decorators and they both do designs with cupcakes as well. One way is to group them all together so they're touching and then decorate the top just like you would a whole cake, and another way is to do a mini decoration on each one. If you type "cupcake decorating" into Pinterest you'll get a ton of ideas.

http://fewjapan.com/event/vintage-cupcake-decorating-with-few/

http://www.thecompletecupcake.com/home/tag/baby-cupcake-cake/
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Here are 4 recipes that range from 274 a slice to 309 a slice.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-lime-chiffon-cake-10000001197251/

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/vanilla-cake-with-meringue-50400000107418/

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/double-caramel-turtle-cake-10000000577255/

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-orange-layer-cake-50400000107419/

You can omit the nuts on the turtle cake and get even less calories too. A good trick if you are trying to cut calories is to use coolwhip to frost. I do cakes for a living so any of these would be great depending on your flavor preference.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Ok... so a few ideas for you:
    1) Eat a smaller portion of the real cake
    2) Cook yourself Thin has a few cake recipes that use grated veggies and ground nuts to replace some of the unhealthier ingredients, also I think they tend to use a meringue frosting instead of buttercream on a lot of the cakes. I've made a few. I like the cake recipes, but the meringue frostings are a bit to sweet for me. I have to cut back a bit on the sugar, add extra vanilla extract.
    3) Cooking Light has some recipes that are a bit lighter.
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't want to do cupcakes because my mom's a cake decorator.

I understand that, but I guess I don't understand why she can't decorate cupcakes-- I know a couple of cake decorators and they both do designs with cupcakes as well. One way is to group them all together so they're touching and then decorate the top just like you would a whole cake, and another way is to do a mini decoration on each one. If you type "cupcake decorating" into Pinterest you'll get a ton of ideas.

http://fewjapan.com/event/vintage-cupcake-decorating-with-few/

http://www.thecompletecupcake.com/home/tag/baby-cupcake-cake/

Oh, lol, I know that! But still. There's something to be said for a birthday cake, not birthday cupcakes.

Also, not to be sarcastic, but
    "Eat a smaller slice" is not a helpful suggestion. I'm not an idiot. A smaller slice does not neccesitate low cal, just perhaps lower cal than the whole.

Sigh. I have a few friends who like to sabatoge my progress, and I KNOW if I have cupcakes or a small piece of cake, I will not hear the end of it. And as much as it'll definitely be a "cheat day" - for some reason I get the impression that a cheat day makes it suddenly OK to have half a freaking cake. I can still make it a cheat day, lol, while being low cal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    "Eat a smaller slice" is not a helpful suggestion. I'm not an idiot. A smaller slice does not neccesitate low cal, just perhaps lower cal than the whole.

well color me confused. if eat half a slice of 500 calorie cake, i eat 250 calories. but somehow, eating a full slice of some nasty "low-cal" cake that gives me the same 250 cals is somehow better? When is 250 cals not 250 cals? When it's in the MFP forums, I guess.

Honestly, your ticker shows you've had tremendous success and you've earned the right to celebrate your birthday with whatever cake you want, calories be damned. With this much weight lost I'm sure you realize that nobody got fat from overeating on one day. I'd enjoy my day, celebrate with good friends and family, I the only reason I'd touch my calorie log would be to document what a terrific blowout day I'm enjoying. It's a official MFP rule that birthday calories don't count.

But it's your b-day, so if you don't want yummy cake, you don't have to have it.
    Sigh. I have a few friends who like to sabatoge my progress,

heh
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In my opinion a mug cake is good- just as it is, a messy looking (but nice, personal sized) mug cake. To me it would ultimately be the same size as having a cupcake, so if you want your mom to decorate only a cake then that is not the way to go.

As for the low cal recipes- read the reviews on Cooking Light and Skinnytaste.com and maybe you can find a nice substitution, although depending on the size of your party the cakes may be a bit small.

And, clearly you haven't allowed your friends to sabotage you too much considering your great weight loss, so this shouldn't be any different from that- do what you want, and don't listen to the criticism- I'm sure if they're truly good friends than they are more concerned with your health/happiness and not the fact that you only had half a slice of cake.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Coconut cake is characterized by the rich, faintly sweet flavor of thick coconut cream and shaved flakes of dried coconut flesh. Because the cake can be so decadent, it's rarely low in fat or calories. However, you can make the final product healthier without sacrificing much in taste by using a few simple substitutions.

Ingredients

Coconut cake traditionally contains hefty amounts of butter and sugar in the cake and frosting as well as full-fat coconut cream and sweetened coconut flakes. To get similar flavor, you can use smaller amounts of the same ingredients. Instead of pressing coconut flakes all over the top and sides of the frosted cake, for example, press them only in a small ring around the top. Use reduced-fat or "light" coconut milk in place of coconut cream, and reduce the recipe's recommended amounts of butter and sugar by up to one-fourth.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

"600 Gluten-Free Recipes" Make food so good you won't believe it's Gluten-Free! 600+ Free Recipes www.GlutenFreeClub.com

Substitutions

Ingredient substitutions can also lighten up a coconut cake, but be aware that when you use them, your changes may impact the taste and texture of the finished product. Shirley Corriher, author of "Cookwise," remarks that high-fat ingredients like butter make cakes light and delicate, help form a tender crumb and improve flavor. As a guideline, don't replace more than half the fat in any recipe with a substitute. BettyCrocker.com suggests cutting fat and calories in a cake by substituting up to half the recommended amount of butter with applesauce, yogurt or fruit puree.

Recipe

To make eight servings' worth of coconut cake that comes in at under 300 calories per serving, you'll need six egg whites, 1/2 tsp. of cream of tartar, a pinch of salt, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp. of lemon juice, 1 tsp. of vanilla, 1/2 tsp. of coconut extract, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/3 cup of sweetened flaked coconut and 2 tbsp. of powdered sugar.

Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt to soft peaks, then add half the sugar to the mixture and beat again until you form stiff peaks. Beat in the lemon juice, vanilla and coconut extract. Sift the flour and remaining sugar into the egg-white mixture and fold the batter. Sprinkle the flaked coconut over the batter in the pan.

Bake the cake at 325 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes. When the cake is cool, sprinkle it with the powdered sugar. According to "Cooking Light," each serving has fewer than 250 calories and just 2 g fat.

Considerations

Since so many recipes for coconut cake start with a decadent base and indulgent ingredients, you may have better luck when baking if you start with a low-fat cake recipe and embellish it with coconut. Angel food cakes and sponge cakes, for example, are often lower in fat and calories than traditional layer cakes, especially when you forgo the frosting and eat the cake plain. Try making a sponge cake and flavoring it with coconut extract, adding light coconut milk to the batter and serving with a dusting of powdered sugar and sweetened flaked coconut.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/444439-low-calorie-coconut-cake/#ixzz2T1uIwYcr
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Simple Apple Cake

To make a simple apple cake, begin by spraying a cake pan with nonfat cooking spray and set it aside. Sift together 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 tsp. of baking powder, 1/2 tsp. of baking soda, 1/4-tsp. of cinnamon and 1 cup of powdered sugar. In another bowl, whisk together 2 1/4 cups of unsweetened applesauce and 1 cup of skim milk. Stir in the flour mixture and mix well. Add a small amount of milk if the cake batter is too thick. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes. This cake has about 95 calories per slice.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/409964-low-calorie-apple-cake/#ixzz2T1uZ9Gxe
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Just because you’re aiming to cut calories and eat healthy doesn’t mean that you necessarily have to forgo sweet treats! Here is a fantastic low calorie carrot cake recipe that is sure to please your taste buds.

This carrot cake is really delicious! It’ll become a fast favorite. Because it uses applesauce instead of oil, the result is a flavorful and moist cake. Personally, I enjoy it more than a high calorie version of traditional carrot cake. Plus, it is a great way to sneak in some veggies and fruits as each serving counts for one and a half fruit servings – what other cake can do that?

Yields:

12 Servings at about 175 calories per serving (use Splenda to save even more calories)

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons apple butter
    1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
    3/4 cup of eggs
    1/2 cup of sugar (or Splenda)
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    3 cups of grated carrots

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Coat a baking pan with non-fat cooking spray.
    In a mixing bowl, combine the apple butter, applesauce, eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
    Next, slowly add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the mixture.
    Blend until all of the ingredients are moistened.
    Lightly mix in the grated carrots.
    Pour into baking pan.
    Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes.
    After your cake is done cooking, allow it to reach room temperature and then spread cream cheese frosting on top or sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Another option is to use fat-free Cool Whip as a topping.
  • flutterbye811
    Options
    Just because you’re aiming to cut calories and eat healthy doesn’t mean that you necessarily have to forgo sweet treats! Here is a fantastic low calorie carrot cake recipe that is sure to please your taste buds.

This carrot cake is really delicious! It’ll become a fast favorite. Because it uses applesauce instead of oil, the result is a flavorful and moist cake. Personally, I enjoy it more than a high calorie version of traditional carrot cake. Plus, it is a great way to sneak in some veggies and fruits as each serving counts for one and a half fruit servings – what other cake can do that?

Yields:

12 Servings at about 175 calories per serving (use Splenda to save even more calories)

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons apple butter
    1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
    3/4 cup of eggs
    1/2 cup of sugar (or Splenda)
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    3 cups of grated carrots

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Coat a baking pan with non-fat cooking spray.
    In a mixing bowl, combine the apple butter, applesauce, eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
    Next, slowly add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the mixture.
    Blend until all of the ingredients are moistened.
    Lightly mix in the grated carrots.
    Pour into baking pan.
    Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes.
    After your cake is done cooking, allow it to reach room temperature and then spread cream cheese frosting on top or sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Another option is to use fat-free Cool Whip as a topping.

Why not just post the link instead of posting a ridiculously long recipe?
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Lemon Pudding Cake Recipe

Recipe Type: Cake, Lemons, Diet, Pudding Cake
    Yields: 6 servings
    Prep time: 20 min
    Cook time: 25 min

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup Splenda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    6 egg whites, room temperature, divided
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
    1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice,strained
    1 cup non-fat or skim milk

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Adjust oven rack to center position. Lightly butter or spray with non-stick spray the individual custard cups, or ramekins of your choice. If you don't have individual custard cups, bake the batter in an 8-inch square baking dish (or other shallow 2-quart baking dish). Bring several quarts of water to boil for water bath.

In a food processor or blender, combine butter, sugar, Splenda, and salt until crumbly. Add 3 egg whites and flour, mixing until smooth. Slowly add lemon zest and juice; add milk.

In a large bowl, beat remaining 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently whisk whites into batter just until no large lumps remain. Immediately ladle batter into prepared baking pan or custard cups. Do not pour; otherwise, the first cups get all the froth and the later cups get all the batter.

Set a roasting pan onto oven rack. Lay folded dish towel onto bottom of roasting pan; set custard cups or baking pan on top of towel. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of baking pan or custard cups. The gradual, even heat of baking in a water bath insulates the pudding cakes from the direct heat of the oven, preventing over-baking at the edges before the centers are set.

Bake approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until pudding cake center is set and springs back when gently touched. Remove roasting pan from oven and set on a wire rack. Let pan or cups continue to stand in water bath for 10 minutes.

Serve at room temperature or chilled.

When baked in ramekins or custard cups, pudding cakes can be inverted after baking and served upside down. I prefer them served chilled, but if you prefer them served warm, allow enough time to let the pudding cakes rest first, about 30 minutes after removing them from the oven, so the custard can set properly. Served cold, they have more intense flavor, and the two layers are more distinct. If desired, sprinkle the individual pudding cakes with powdered sugar just before serving.

Makes 6 servings.

Lemon Pudding Cake - Nutritional Information
    I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the below information. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.

Item Amount Fat Grams Calories WW Points
    butter 2 tablespoons 22 200 6.3
    sugar 1/4 cup 0 192 4.3
    Splenda 1/4 cup 0 0 0
    egg whites 6 each 0 102 2.5
    flour, all-purpose 3 tablespoons .2 85.2 2.2
    lemon juice 1/4 cup (4 tbs) 0 30 1
    milk, skim 1 cup .4 80 2
    Recipe Totals 22.6 689.2 18.3
    Recipe makes 6 servings.

Each Serving Totals - 3.7 Fat Grams, 114.8 calories, 3 WW Points
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Looking for an easy Light sponge cake - only 100 cal per slice recipe? Learn how to make Light sponge cake - only 100 cal per slice using healthy ingredients.

Submitted by singing_girl

Makes 8 servings

Beautiful light sponge which is low fat/low cal

Recipe Ingredients for Light sponge cake - only 100 cal per slice

eggs

pinch of salt

1/2

c sugar

1/2

c corn starch

tsp flour

tsp baking powder

Recipe Directions for Light sponge cake - only 100 cal per slice
    1.Separate eggs. Beat egg whites and salt until stiff.

2.Add sugar gradually and beat until stiff and sugar has dissolved.

3.Add egg yolks. Beat until well blended.

4.Sift together cornstarch, flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture.

5.Pour into two 20cm (8 inch) greased and lined cake tins.

6.Bake at 190c (350 F) for 15-20 min or until cake springs back when lightly touched.

7.Leave in cake tin for 10 min before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

8.This cake is especially good if you sandwich the 2 layers together with raspberry jam and freshly whipped cream.

Categories

Dessert

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 40.3g

Amount Per Serving

Calories

Calories from Fat

% Daily Value*

Total Fat
    1.7g

3%

Saturated Fat
    0.5g

2%

Trans Fat
    0.0g

Cholesterol
    70mg

23%

Sodium
    43mg

2%

Total Carbohydrates
    22.4g

7%

Sugars
    12.6g

Protein
    2.2g

Vitamin A 2%

Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 4%

Iron 2%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.

Legend

Fat
    Protein
    Carbs
    Alcohol
    Other

Calorie Breakdown

Daily Values
  • flutterbye811
    Options
    ya know, asking her what TYPE of cake she likes instead of bombing the feed with pages of recipes may be a smarter choice.
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I have a few friends who like to sabatoge my progress, and I KNOW if I have cupcakes or a small piece of cake, I will not hear the end of it.

Unless you're an international spy, food sabatoge is bullcaca. You control what you eat, not anyone else. If your friends talk crap about what you eat, then I'd reconsider those relationships. Altering your course because of what someone says? Bah, you don't need to be polite when it comes your body and your progress.

Mug cake is a good sub for everyday, but you only get one birthday a year - by all means, eat good cake.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What a treat it would be to have a cake decorated by your mother and infused with love. Obviously she cares about you. At some point in your life you will be able to eat a low cal diet cupcake for your birthday. I'd gladly enjoy a slice of my mom's chocolate whipped cream (full fat & sugar) cake in a heart beat and eat salads for a week if I had that option. Celebrating your birthday in such a special manner will not ruin your goals for the week. You can always shave 50 or 100 calories off your daily totals for a week if you are that worried.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Use a cake mix and mix in greek yogurt.