Low budget, shop to last two weeks. Any ideas?

Options
Hi,

Thanks in advance. I'm from the UK and currently unemployed. Going to be starting a course Monday that'll hopefully get me an apprenticeship with the NHS (National Health Service). So I'm currently on benefits, after paying bills I only have £15/$23 for food shopping that's supposed to last two weeks.

So any ideas, for what I can buy that will do the basic 3 meals a day and small snackage? Please, this will be super helpful.

Kaylee

Replies

• d4damage
    d4damage Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey SensitiveKayl,

That's a pretty harsh budget and I'm not really sure you could eat for a £1 a day.

But you can probably get some basic stuff until you're getting more money. Things like eggs (30 for £3.10 in asda), white fish (520g pollock for £1.75 in tesco). Tinned beans like kidney beans and baked beans are other cheap sources of protein. Frozen veg can been had for around £1 per kg. Bulk bags of pasta and rice will also be cheaper than buying in smaller measurements.

I hope this helps.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    oatmeal
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Healthy_fresh_start Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    in my student days 9p tesco noodles kept me going. also have a look in a homebargains store if you have one, i picked up soya milk at 29p a litre today, same one is £1.19 in tesco. bargains to be had indeed lol
    good luck!!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Lentils (dried) and brown rice (not white). The protein in one cup of lentils = the protein in 3 eggs.

Lentils are very inexpensive, you don't have to soak them, they cook in about 30 minutes, and you can make enough for several days at a time. Just add a few veggies and you have a complete meal.
  • lilcutemonkees
    lilcutemonkees Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy things to make bulk meals, for example I used this and made enough for 4 days of dinner http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1221/easy-risotto-with-bacon-and-peas. Works out at about £4.50 overall. Then for lunch I make ham and cheese pittas; wholemeal pitta x6 in tesco = £0.74, ham from sainsbury's basic = £0.61 and a block/bag of cheese is about £1.50. Then breakfast I have porridge oats which is £0.75 for a kg pack which lasts about 2 weeks. I try and buy fresh fruit from the grocers as well as you can get a pack of apples for a pound and they often do cheaper veg as well.
  • lilcutemonkees
    lilcutemonkees Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy things to make bulk meals, for example I used this and made enough for 4 days of dinner http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1221/easy-risotto-with-bacon-and-peas. Works out at about £4.50 overall. Then for lunch I make ham and cheese pittas; wholemeal pitta x6 in tesco = £0.74, ham from sainsbury's basic = £0.61 and a block/bag of cheese is about £1.50. Then breakfast I have porridge oats which is £0.75 for a kg pack which lasts about 2 weeks. I try and buy fresh fruit from the grocers as well as you can get a pack of apples for a pound and they often do cheaper veg as well.

The £4.50 is when having to buy everything to start! The risotto bags are usually around 500g and you get like a kilo of peas for around a pound.