P90X Rant

Options
I'm feeling really low, and it could just be PMS but this program has been such a roller coaster for me.

Halfway through the 2nd phase and I am not losing ANY inches. At all. I know the magic happens this phase but I just feel so so blah. I can't eat right, I seem to go on Auto Pilot when it comes to food. Every day I treat myself and I can't stop. Most days I do stay under my calorie goal. So what gives? Why do I suck? I bring it every day and I know its me and not the program. The only place I am noticing changes are on my arms.

I want the fricken mom belly gone! I still look pregnant and I have Layla almost 10 months ago. I want to cry. I feel like I'm a bad poster child for P90X when so many other people have gotten fantastic results by this point.

Day 39 is apparently the "why me?" day....

Replies

• ecmedlock
    ecmedlock Posts: 3
    Options
    Stick with it! The second month you get the best results!!! I only made it through 2 months, and was in the best shape of my life...you can do it!!!
  • ecmedlock
    ecmedlock Posts: 3
    Options
    and - running will help you lose a lot of that baby fat.....running is the best cardio you could ever do for yourself!!! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating. In the diet plan for P90x the minimum amount suggested is 1800 calories per day. Due to the intensity of the workouts you need more fuel for your body. One reason for the stalled weight loss is that you may not be eating enough.
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't give up...keep at it...I have had so many co workers do it, men & women and they all were happy with the results after 90 days...stay strong and you will get there...the eating keep eating well...hope you have a wonderful day!
  • ladytap
    ladytap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, after Day 30 I was a little disappointed too, but don't give up! Those Day 60 pictures will amaze you! And by Day 90 you won't even remember what the "old" you looked like. Try to keep fruit around or some very low calorie snacks like the Jello Mousse Temptations (60 calories) for when you want to treat yourself. I need a little snack every day too, and if I have these options around then I'll usually pass on the cookies or cupcakes. Just try to keep the end goal in sight, and don't get discouraged. You're right on the verge of a breakthrough :)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question...seriously, it's 80% nutrition. You can workout as much or as hard as you want, but if you don't get the nutrition in check, you won't get the results you desire. Sure, you'll firm up, gain strength, etc., but a lot of it will be hidden under a layer of body fat.

A few things...make sure you're eating the appropriate number of calories to support the workouts. Too often Is see people trying to do P90X on 1200 calories/day. Too few calories to fuel your body, and then you crave all kinds of things.

Plan your meals. I sit down in the morning and have a game plan. I've also found that I can't 'treat' myself every day. I bought some of those Skinny Cow ice cream bars lately...never again. I can't eat just one. I cannot have it in the house. I have a 'cheat meal' once/week, and I go out to eat. Period.

Also, if there are foods that you struggle with, don't buy them. I also made the mistake of buying Peanut Butter this week. I know PB has healthy fats and protein...but I CANNOT CONTROL myself around it. PB has 14 servings...should last 2 weeks right? Ha! Not in my house. I won't be buying real PB again (I'll just stick to my powdered PB2). I just can't do it.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating. In the diet plan for P90x the minimum amount suggested is 1800 calories per day. Due to the intensity of the workouts you need more fuel for your body. One reason for the stalled weight loss is that you may not be eating enough.

I'm eating around 1800cal a day....sometimes a little less, sometimes more. I think I am eating healthier and I am consistently increasing my protein but I do treat myself and I can't seem to stop. Still, shouldn't I notice SOMETHING?

Also, I guess I'm not really looking for weight loss as much as I am looking to lean out. I'm 129lbs and all my fat is in my belly.
  • mosse33
    mosse33 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    hi all
    im the same
    on second round of p90x and still disappointed with my results
    food wise im eating good having 2400 cal a day need to lose the belly fat
    if anyone wants to look at my diet on here u r welcome and please give me some hints if its not good
    im lifting heavy 8 reps
    i have lost weight 14 pound but still no definition

if anyone has some advice it would be greatly welcome
    thanks
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,738 Member
    Options
    Bumping to respond to a little later...
  • s_perdue
    s_perdue Posts: 11
    Options
    I was one who ate too few calories on p90x and didn't see great results. I was proud of finishing, but felt like the people I told I was doing it were looking at me and thinking, "she hasn't even lost any weight, she looks no different, etc.." VERY discouraging!!! I lost 5 inches the first month, then only 2 more the rest of the program. I was only eating 12-1500 calories a day.

Now, here's the positive part... First I found this website, which truly helped me get my calories on track. Next, I bought a heart rate monitor for even more precision on calories burned. A HRM is a worthwhile investment. Then I started Insanity. While, yes, it is insane, it is Awesome!! I can not describe the rush when you finish a workout and can say, I just did that! My goal is to be able to say, I just did that without taking a break. BUT the good thing is, the people on the video sometimes take breaks too. So you don't beat yourself up about it. Just push harder the next time. Now here's the really good part. After only 1 week, not month, 6 days, I could already see definition in my upper abdomen. seriously. I would have never thought that would happen so quickly. I truly recommend doing the Insanity program once you finish p90x. It will help with the belly. Honestly, and this is embarassing to admit on here, but when I am feeling fat or down or frustrated, I'll go to a mirror and flex my belly and feel instantly better. Find a part of your body that you are seeing the most improvement and focus on it. the rest will follow. =)
  • s_perdue
    s_perdue Posts: 11
    Options
    14 pounds!!! what an accomplishment!! I only lost literally 1-2 pounds doing p90x. (i wasn't eating right) Keep at it and the results will start to show. Also, you could try some intense cardio. I am following p90x with Insanity and feel like the muscles were there from p90x but hidden under a layer of goo. Insanity is slowing peeling back that fat to let the muscle tone show through! But truly, a 14 pound weight loss is AWESOME!
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The magic actually happens in Phase 3, and for many women, not until AFTER 90 days. You must be patient. p90x is designed so that your body peaks near the end. I know it is frustrating when you are putting your body through such extreme physical stress to not see or feel results immediately, but they will come.

I just finished 90 days. While I didn't have an AMAZING transformation, I was pleased with my results. I lost 7 pounds and 14 inches overall. I would love to continue with the program but I am battling some serious tennis elbow as a result of the upper body workouts so I am probably going to move onto Turbo Fire and give my arms a rest for a few months.

Here are my 0-60 day and 0-90 day photos:
    http://girlgetfit.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/progress-photos-day-0-60/
    http://girlgetfit.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/day-90-pictures/
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,738 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure where to start.

First, I know many, many people get fabulous results from P90X.

Here's my personal experience:

I did my first round about two years ago, and I was pleased with my improvements in strength and flexibility as well as the changes in my body. I continued to work out after that (sampling other BB programs), but I wasn't great with my diet, so while I stayed pretty strong, I never really got my weight/body fat down to where I wanted it to be.

I started a second round a little more than a year ago. About the beginning of Phase 2, my dad was hospitalized with congestive heart failure, and it felt like my whole world was crumbling. I spent hours, days, and nights at the hospital pretty much all of last July, and I totally neglected my exercise and my eating. Dad passed away August 4, but he was my inspiration to get my crap together. I started Slim in 6 on August 10 and joined here a week after that and utilized the Food Diary to track my food (best tool in the world, by the way!). I moved on to Slim Series (follow-up to Slim in 6). I lost 25+ pounds over seven months and felt better than I'd felt in my entire adult life. My legs were in phenomenal shape, but I felt like I was missing some of the upper-body benefits I'd gotten from P90X, so I decided to do a third round.

I just finished my third round of P90X last week. I didn't miss a single workout (other than Day 90, LOL), and I continued to diligently track my food (although I increased my calories slightly, not necessarily focusing on weight loss at this point and definitely not wanting to risk losing lean). Overall, I feel good after having completed that third round, but to be honest, I didn't really change much at all. I had a body comp done on Day 89, and I actually lost a small amount of lean. It wasn't significant, but I didn't have any great improvements. To look at me, you could see that my arms, chest, back and shoulders looked leaner and more defined. But my legs looked fatter and less defined.

The thing is, I was feeling like this was what was happening to me about halfway through, but I carried on, thinking certainly now that I really had my eating down, I'd get impressive results by the end of 90 days. It turns out, what I felt like was happening to my body actually was, and my lesson was that I am going to trust my instincts from now on and not stubbornly complete an entire program if I feel like tweaking it might serve my needs better.

What I'm going to do now is a hybrid of Slim in 6, Slim Series, and P90X. I am confident I will get the best of all worlds by doing that. I think my lesson learned is that there isn't a one-size-fits-all workout program. I don't want people to think I am saying P90X isn't a great program, because I think it is, and I think it by itself could be just what the doctor ordered for lots of people. There are too many success stories for it not to be. I am going to incorporate one upper-body P90X workout into my weekly routine because I think I will benefit significantly from it. That said, I think it's OK if you feel like something isn't working for you to change it up or to tweak things. I've learned that, for me, more cardio and lots more leg work is what gives me optimum results. I'm not saying I know exactly what you should do, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in being somewhat disappointed. I know a lot of people are encouraging you to stick with the 90 days and say you'll see the results then. I don't necessarily disagree. They may be right. Heck, if you do the 90 days, maybe you will be pleased. It certainly won't hurt anything. I'm just saying that if you try it and it doesn't work as well for you, I don't think that's necessarily a failing on your part. I think it's possible you're more like me and might benefit from using it in a little bit different way from how it's prescribed.

I hope you got something useful out of that. I told you I didn't know where to start. It sort of looks like I didn't know when to stop either!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Add my name to the frustrated list. I'm finishing up Phase 2 now. I never really needed to lose pounds, just wanted some definition and to lose the love handles. Since the beginning I've lost about 1 pant size, but that's about it.

I've done all workouts (minus maybe a couple in 2 months) with good intensity. I feel sore quite often the day after my workouts. While I don't follow the nutrition guide 100%, I have been paying pretty close attention to my diet thru MFP. I tend to pretty consistently keep about a 40 carb/35 pro/25 fat ratio, with occasional days of 50/25/25. Is that really that far off though? Not seeing the results I was hoping for yet.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I agree alot w/what glfprncs2 said about nutrition. My 1st round of p90x, I didn't even allow myself to cheat once a week. I had a frozen yogurt the Saturday of each recovery week & that's it. However, I started at 129 pounds just like you & saw NOTHING change until day 47...while my husband was losing like a pound a day & transforming before my eyes. By day 90 I was fitting into clothes that I thought I would never fit into again & had lost about 9 pounds. I followed p90x w/Insanity...& here is where I also agree w/PJilly...not every program is for everyone. Not only did I find Insanity to be boring beyond belief, I felt thicker in the core/waist while doing that program. After Insanity I went back for my 2nd round of p90x & by the end of Month 1, WOW!! Major changes in my body. I think it just took my body longer to show major changes. I'm more of a P120X type of girl.

I do know that my body responds more to strength training than cardio. I'm someone who really only needs 30 minute cardio sessions, not hour long sweatfests like others do, so p90x works well for me. I did however add short cardio on strength days.

I'm rambling now, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone in not seeing major results early on. I do however think you should finish out the program & see what happens. I also think you should focus on nutrition more than anything. Plus, nothing has made me feel accomplished & more proud fitness-wise than being able to say "I'm a p90x grad!!"
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    While I did my first round of P90X I lost about 19 lbs. At the time I was doing 1700-2000 calories (female). I also realized that I need to get more cardio in. I was doing P90X in the mornings with my husband, walking a mile in the late afternoon with coworkers, and on the weekend I would hit the gym and get in more cardio jogging/biking. The double workouts are what helped me shed during P90X since the program itself is not designed for weight loss. You have to do more... I would suggest adding in Cardio X in the evenings.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the time to post this earlier, but here's my 'story.'

I started P90X on April 4, 2009. I weighed 204 pounds (I'm a 5'9" female), walked my dogs a few days/week, but really didn't do anything consistent. I DESPISED myself.

When I bought P90X, my husband was TICKED and said I just wasted $130. Perhaps that was the best thing for me, because it motivated me to keep pushing play.

I followed the nutrition guide TO THE T for the first two months. In hindsight, I probably wasn't eating enough, but I had enough fat on me (I was at 42% body fat), that I still had energy for the workouts and for life. In month 3, my nutrition wasn't as good, and I stayed with the macronutrient suggestions in phase 2, but I still lost 20 pounds, a ton of inches, and a lot of body fat. I was a size 16/18 when I started...a 14/16 at the end.

I'm a teacher, so I figured if I was ever going to try doubles, the summer was the time to do it. I jumped right back in with a 2nd round of P90X, doubles. In my 2nd round, I lost, maybe, 7 pounds, but I lost a TON of inches and body fat. I went from a 14/16 pant to a 12. I really leaned out, was pleased with my results, but starting to get bored.

I went ahead and did a 3rd round of P90X+ that fall, even after Mark Briggs (who has done 18+ rounds of P90X) told me that for my goals, he would recommend ChaLean Extreme. I thought I would be going backwards after doing P90X, so I didn't listen. I did my 90 days, nutrition was good, but not great, lost another 5 pounds and could get into an occasional size 10. That's when I figured Insanity would get me where I wanted to be....

I did Insanity in January/February of this year. The workouts were brutal, I hated the warm up every day. I pushed through and finished, leaned out my abs quite a bit, but otherwise, my results weren't what I thought they would be for the effort I was putting into the program. The final week, I also developed an injury in my ribcage (a intercostal ligament pull---put me on the floor anytime I did any exercise that caused me to engage my core which is pretty much everything). Two months later, I could workout, but still couldn't do ab work.

I finally listened to Mark Briggs and did ChaLean Extreme (without the extra ab workouts). I LOVED it. Seriously...I felt like I was pushing myself harder than I ever did in P90X, and I felt like the strength workouts were really designed for women. Period. I didn't lose weight, but did get my body fat percentage to 20%, and my measurements indicated that i was smaller. So, same weight, smaller body...increase in lean muscle mass.

I'm now doing a hybrid of ChaLean Extreme and Turbo Fire and dropped 4 pounds in the past 3 weeks. That's a pretty big deal because I'm already quite fit from my previous year of intense exercise. I eat between 1800-2000 calories most days. I'm sure when I do my measurements in a week, that I'll see some changes as well. I took a picture of my flexed bicep the other day and compared it to the end of my 3rd round of P90X+...it's crazy how much leaner I am.

So...why am I sharing all of this? Honestly, it's because not every program works for every person. I think P90X is a great program, but I find the nutrition guide (especially phase 1), pretty unrealistic for most people. I would bonk and crash on the low carbs if I tried to use phase 1 nutrition today because of my body fat %. You've got to find the nutrition balance that truly works for you (for me, it's a fairly clean diet of 40% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat), and an exercise program that you enjoy. Period.
  • kil1030
    kil1030 Posts: 1
    Options
    So glad to know I'm not alone. I did one round of p90x and while I did lose 17lbs, I think it was mostly in my arms, chest, and a teeny tiny bit on my waist. My arms look better, but my belly is still icky and I didn't see the fabulous results I was hoping for.

That said, I just started a hybrid program where I'm doing the 3 p90x strength training workouts and 2 Insanity cardio workouts. I'm almost at the end of week 2. I gave myself one year to work on the fat on my stomach before I consider a tummy tuck after having 3 kids. Maybe more cardio is the answer? I heard interval training is supposed to help burn fat more so than umpteen minutes of straight cardio.

I carefully followed the nutrition guide in round 1, but always struggled to get 1200 calories in per day. Most days it was about 1000 calories, and that was with eating every 3 hours. I'm 5'0" and 95lbs. so 1200 cals is a lot of food for me. Will eating more really help? I didn't feel like I was starving, and I made sure that whatever amount of calories I took in, I stayed pretty close to the 50/30/20 breakdown. By phase 3 it was more like 40/40/20.

In spite of the less than stellar visual results, I'm very happy with myself for sticking to an exercise program for so long. I'm sure the belly fat will go away eventually. :)
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    BUMPITY BUMP!

Here is the link to my pictures! No laughing.

http://www.facebook.com/p90x?v=app_2373072738&ref=ts#!/album.php?aid=244919&id=685360379