Okay so I'm sticking to the plan but not losing weight!

I set up my plan to lose .7 pounds a week, am staying within the 1200 calorie requirement combined with workouts, but I'm just as flabby as ever. Very little progress and the scale is not encouraging either. Anyone have suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Hang in there... it takes time! We didn't get fat overnight, we wont get skinny overnight either.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    I didn't look at your food diary, but I think we need more information to help you. How much weight do you have to lose? Do your clothes feel any different? Flab does take a long time to go away.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Hang in there... it takes time! We didn't get fat overnight, we wont get skinny overnight either.

And this too! Excellent reminder for all of us.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Has it been at least 3 weeks since you started doing this consistently?
  • Jp83
    Jp83 Posts: 11
    It took time to gain the weight so it will take time to lose it too. Take your time, enjoy your new healthy life style and the results will follow! Remember this is a change for life, eat clean, exercise and stay focused on the goal! (your health)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    How long have you been doing it?

Are you drinking lots of water?

Is the 1200 calorie amount what the site recommends based on your statistics, and are you eating back your exercise calories?

Check your carbs/proteins/fats, make sure they are in balance.

Keep in mind that all calories on the site are merely estimates. If you find that it's not working for you, try either increasing or decreasing calories for a week, and see if that works better.

The general rule should be, if you're not losing weight, you're drinking your water, eating your fats/carbs/proteins in reasonable balance, eating calories as per the site, etc etc:
    - If you constantly feel tired or hungry, get tired during workouts (not "good" tired, but "dragging my *kitten* oh god I hate this" tired), INCREASE your calories a little. This will increase your energy levels and allow you to burn more calories, usually a good deal more than the additional calories you are taking in.
    - If you feel energetic, are getting good workouts in, and rarely feel hungry, DECREASE your calories a little. (note that, at 1200 calories, it's hard to imagine you are OVEReating, but I don't know your weight, so it is possible).
  • Jennas2012
    Jennas2012 Posts: 11
    i just spoke with a personal trainer (who thank God i didnt have to pay since he is friend of a family member) and he said that lean muscle burns more calories than fat which makes sense. Try adding strength training to ur workout. I started with a full body workout 3x a week with just 5 lb weights i didnt do cardio on those days either cause OMG was i sore lol, but i did notice that with cardio 3x a week and strength training 3 times a week im actually getting lean and losing the weight. I lost 2 lbs this past week and over all over the past 3 weeks i have lost almost 6 lbs. the only difference was the strength training. im still doing about 1200 calories a day and i feel energized and awake when i start my day. i jsut increase my weights to 8lbs this week since im not too sore anymore from the 5lb. Listen to ur body if ur doing weights though and make sure u start easy if it hurts dont do it but a nice burn is good. Good luck hope this helps!
  • lvmaggie
    lvmaggie Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. I seem to hover right at 120-122 lb range. I want to get down to 115 or ideally 107. I am 5'5" but very flabby, even though not very heavy. I am doing weight training with 10 lb free weights and now my arms are getting dense and bulky, which I don't like. I was asked if my goal is to be a female wrestler. Ouch!
    I do 30 minutes on the bike every day and my legs are starting to get some defiinition but the weight doesn't seem to budge. I guess I should eat like 700 cals a day for this to work. I did that for a few days and noticed my stomach start to get flatter. I don't know. I've been doing this routine for months now, about 3, every day.
  • I just started this program and have only lost 0.5 pounds in half a week, but I thought to give a few bits of things I have found helpful. Are you a towards 40? I have found that I, 44, am doing better by eating less carbs that the program says I can eat and eating more protein. I try to balance this with more fiber from vegetables and nonwheat carbs. I am not trying to avoid any gluten, just eat less of it. I am also trying to drink all 8 glasses of water and more if I do Zumba that day. For every hour you exercise, I found out that you should drink an extra 32 ounces beyond the 8 glasses. I am also having to exercise more than I used to have to. I hope some of this helps you and my goals also. :) We need to eat for our age. If we are a little bit older, our body reacts to carbs differently that when we were younger and we need to adjust how we eat.
  • Hi,

What does your diet consists of. Sounds like your ton in your legs and arms but having issues with the mid-section? If so this is the hardest to lose. Do you take in enough fiber each day. Fiber is the key for burning the belly. I would also suggest sticking with the calorie plan; dropping your calories will help you drop wight however you will begin to look weak as your body starts burning your muscle to stay functional. As another post said it does take time.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Has it been at least 3 weeks since you started doing this consistently?

Second this. The weight is coming off for me after a couple of weeks of exercise and militant journaling. Some good news for the OP - my weight came off in a hurry after the third week.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    One thing to remember is that our bodies are not like cars - if you put in a certain amount of gas you will go a certain amount of miles. Sadly it's not some perfect equation. The weight loss is not going to predictably happen that you can accurately track it on a graph. However, the trend is going to be that your weight will decrease over time if you keep at it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    . I guess I should eat like 700 cals a day for this to work. I did that for a few days and noticed my stomach start to get flatter. I don't know. I've been doing this routine for months now, about 3, every day.

No.