Eat this - not that

Options
Camille0502
Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
I knew today was going to be a busy day, so I had originally planned to surprise my girls with lunch at Chik fil A. I was thinking of ordering a spicy chicken sandwich and carrot salad. No fries. How bad could it be? So I looked up the calories this morning: sandwich 490 calories and carrot salad 260 for a medium. That is a total of 750! A huge amount of calories since I also have a party later today.

Instead, I made a sandwich on sandwich thins for a total of 270 calories and ate a huge honey crisp apple for around 130 calories for a total of 400.

Myfitnespal saved me 250 calories today!

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Um, even better, MFP saved you 350 Calories! :wink:

Great job of pre-logging. I never would have thought the sandwich would be so much.
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    Sounds like you made a great save! I still get surprised at the calorie count of even the "healthier" selections when eating out.

Last week I was at an all day training for work and we were provided Panera "box" lunches - only marked on the outside what type of sandwich it contained. I chose "sierra turkey" - I did eat it(passed on the ginormous cookie also in the box), looked it up when I got home to add to my diary - 630 calories without the sauce (the sauces were on the side) - 900 calories with! Seriously! (glad I used a packet of mustard :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I ate yesterday at Chick Fil A, had Grilled Chicken sandwich 310 cals and a large fruit bowl 90 calories, grand total 400 calories!! :bigsmile:
  • ABetterJayme
    ABetterJayme Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great job avoiding the temptation!

MFP is pretty awesome like that! Yesterday I was planning on having an awesomely yummy Bacon Egg and Cheese Bagel from McDonalds for my breakfast today. When I went to prelog it, I guilt tripped myself out of the 630 calories it would have cost me and instead had a Special K Chocolatey Pretzel bar for 90 calories. Not quite as yummy, but ... lol.
  • Camille0502
    Options
    Um, even better, MFP saved you 350 Calories! :wink:

Great job of pre-logging. I never would have thought the sandwich would be so much.
    Ha ha! I should have used my calculator - higher math... (And in real life I'm an engineer!)
  • Camille0502
    Options
    I ate yesterday at Chick Fil A, had Grilled Chicken sandwich 310 cals and a large fruit bowl 90 calories, grand total 400 calories!! :bigsmile:
    If only I had the willpower to order like this at Chik fil A! Good for you!!
  • bugzlooney
    bugzlooney Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds like you made a great save! I still get surprised at the calorie count of even the "healthier" selections when eating out.

Last week I was at an all day training for work and we were provided Panera "box" lunches - only marked on the outside what type of sandwich it contained. I chose "sierra turkey" - I did eat it(passed on the ginormous cookie also in the box), looked it up when I got home to add to my diary - 630 calories without the sauce (the sauces were on the side) - 900 calories with! Seriously! (glad I used a packet of mustard :)

Yes I love Panera too and I always get the Bacon turkey Bravo which is 800 cal's for the full sandwich!! With what I'm doing...that would definitely have to be the biggest meal of the day!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Great job avoiding the temptation!

MFP is pretty awesome like that! Yesterday I was planning on having an awesomely yummy Bacon Egg and Cheese Bagel from McDonalds for my breakfast today. When I went to prelog it, I guilt tripped myself out of the 630 calories it would have cost me and instead had a Special K Chocolatey Pretzel bar for 90 calories. Not quite as yummy, but ... lol.

Totally know what you mean. I've learned to make my own breakfast sandwich at home with low calorie/low sodium alternatives - 330 calories for a sandwich bigger than what I can get a McD's.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    This is why obesity is such an epidemic. It's very easy to put weight on. And the majority of people have no clue how bad the foods they're eating are. I sure didn't.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging For the WIN!

Pre-logging has helped me make better choices, on so many occasions (whether eating at home, or eating at a restaurant). Knowing in advance helps a lot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally would have ate the Chik-Fil-A sandwich since I have to drive an hour to get one! Yeah, it's high in calories, but one sandwich won't be a demise. You were aware of how many calories it was and that's what's important because you can still find a way to fit it in if you really want to. People that don't count and aren't aware are the ones who get overweight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Camille0502
    Options
    Well, I personally would have ate the Chik-Fil-A sandwich since I have to drive an hour to get one! Yeah, it's high in calories, but one sandwich won't be a demise. You were aware of how many calories it was and that's what's important because you can still find a way to fit it in if you really want to. People that don't count and aren't aware are the ones who get overweight.

IDEA Fitness member
    Agree. But I also had a party today and knew I couldn't do both! Other wise, I may have figured out a way to fit a spicy chicken sandwich into my day!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You could have had a chargrilled chicken club sandwich for 430 delicious calories and have a coke zero. Nom.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Agree. But I also had a party today and knew I couldn't do both! Other wise, I may have figured out a way to fit a spicy chicken sandwich into my day!
    Heck if you told me that this morning, I would have had you do some Tabata to help offset the sandwich! Lol, whenever I go to the movies (I always eat hot dogs and popcorn), I do an extra 30 minutes of exercise to compensate.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Don't the executives of Chik-Fil-A hate the idea of gay marriage? If so, the less money spent there, the better. Well done.