Filling up those extra calories?

Options
Hey everyone, I've been on a strict diet near 1,500 day to drop down to 8-10% body fat. I've been doing a lot of cardio workouts daily (running some miles throughout the day, swimming, and bike riding) along with weight training. When I log it into the site, I "earn" extra calories. I break up my eating habits to 7 meals a day, Generally every 2 1/2 hours.

When I earn the extra calories from workouts, would it beneficial to actually eat more to make that total daily number limit to 0, or does it not matter? As well as filling up all the daily recommendations for carbs, fats, and proteins(though a whey isolate shake usually takes care of that)? I appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Replies

• PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hello. There's a big debate on whether or not you should eat back your exercise calories. Should continue to do what works for you.
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    Hi,
    If you are looking for the long run of a healthy strong body, i suggest eating the extra calories. Make sure you fill the extra calories with good foods - fruits and veggies. Your body will take the extra calories from muscle or calories that would be sent to an organ since it needs the calories. It is better for your body to consume the food.
  • Creon692
    Creon692 Posts: 12
    Options
    Got it, I appreciate the advice!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Got it, I appreciate the advice!

Trust me, there's going to be a lot more on this issue. LOL.
  • Creon692
    Options
    Well I'm trying to keep my lean mass the same which I know is around 135-140lbs. I just wanna break my body fat down is all. So if I fill the extra calories, will my muscle mass be left alone and I lose body fat? If I didn't eat the extra calories, would it just take from my muscle mass and my body fat would remain the same even though i'm losing weight?
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    A few different things can happen. Your body does burn calories in a process. Carbs then Protein then Fat. If it does the calories and doesn't have them it will go normally to muscles first. If you need to you can eat protein powder or high fiber foods for the extra calories. Protein will help you as you are aware. Fiber is also good for burning fat. Also eating monounsaturated fats help burn fat as well. Try avocados which are high in mono fats and fiber.. Almonds for the mono fats. Make sure you watch the calories they both are high in fats.
  • Creon692
    Options
    So yes on filling up the carbs(high on fiber) and the proteins. Fats too? (with high in monosats, got plenty of almonds :P).