I'm not losing weight :/

Options
Hey I'm Amie I've been dieting for around two weeks now and I weigh 176 pounds, but I have not seen any results :/ I'm following everything that this website says and burning 200 calories on the treadmill everyday and I keep my diary updated very well with everything that I eat. I put in everything I eat for the day and my fitness pal has been telling me that I should be around 166 in 5 weeks if I keep eating like this, but yet I have not lost any weight :( What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions or ideas when I will actually begin to lose weight because at this time I'm just losing hope now

Replies

• darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Calm down, you're doing fine.
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    I'm adding you so I can take a look at your diary. Changing your lifestyle to lose weight does not come with any instant gratification, in 5 weeks chances are you might be 166lbs. Bottom line is you have to stick your diet & routine until you get there. If you keep trying and stay focused, you will see results.
  • katiej23
    katiej23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you going over in sugar or fat? I know you said you logged and exercise, but what foods are you eating?
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't really enough time to see results. Give yourself about a month, and don't trust the scale. Weight is not the best indicator of bodily health because it can vary so much based on water retention, sodium intake and hormonal fluctuations. Measure body fat percentage or inches lost as well. That can give your a more accurate idea of whether or not you are losing fat (as opposed to losing weight).

Good luck to you!
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    hi,

Make sure you are also eating the right foods. Calorie deficit does help but just as important is the foods you intake. Are you eating enough fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Also along with that is did you consume a good amount of protein. Many times people think if they take protein they will gain a lot of muscle. Protein does help with that but you would also have to work out a ton. Protein however does keep your muscles healthy and muscles eat fats.

Fitness tip - when on the treadmill walk on an incline of about 8 percent for 20 minutes a few times a week. This helps burn fat since you are engaging the muscles in your core. It is similar to hiking.
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    Fat loss is not linear, you could lose 1 lb one week none the next and 4 after that. Dont rush it make smart decisions and it wil come off.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I can't see your diary, but if you are truly being honest in it, even if you don't see results in one week you will over the next few weeks. Weight fluctuates like crazy, and the scale alone is just evil. Take measurements, see how your clothes are fitting, how are you feeling? Those are as good if not better indicators than numbers on the scale.
  • RavenWolf1977
    RavenWolf1977 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I first started my journey (again, for the umpteenth time...) I didn't not see any loss the first few weeks. It was very disheartening and I was really upset about it.

However, things did "catch up" and I've lost 42 pounds since 1 January. So...you can and will be able to do this, if you keep doing what you are doing and don't give up.

Also, make sure you are really measuring your portion sizes...not guesstimating or eyeballing. Oh..and be sure you are not drinking your calories! :)
  • bugzlooney
    bugzlooney Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't know enough about dieting, but I took a nutrition class and I know a few things from my grandfather who did a lot of diet research before he recently passed away. He was a physiologist btw and taught doctors at UA so he ain't dumb. (I say this because my backing of proteins is so debatable, also because I have completely forgotten the science behind this).

You said you were at 174 but you didn't mention any height and I just double checked. I mean it depends, if you are short enough, the weight is probably more disproportional and should come off a bit faster. Also your 200 calorie run, try interval training. As in, very intense exercise followed by moderate pace, to keep your heart rate going up and down. Do this as long as you can. Remember 1 pound a week is one pound a week, if you lose 2 lbs, and drank a gallon of water and had three cans of soup, you're gonna not only have all the water weight, but retain more because of the sodium. If this happens you won't notice the 2 pound loss.

(. I notice you are doing the exercise, but if you're gonna do exercise it should be all or nothing. Personally I'm doing my own weight loss without exercise to find out where my break even point is, but if you don't have the patience, you certainly don't have to do this.)

This might be contrversial but if you are overdoing the carbs (even the whole grains) I think that could also be a problem. Whole grains and healthy carbs are the actual fad, although many will say it is fats and proteins. The MOST RECENT trend has indeed been towards fats and proteins, and I actually believe this to be more accurate. That is not to say you should under eat carbs. You can't do too much of anything...so more info is needed to really see. However, if it's only been a week or so, then it is definitely too soon,

New studies are showing that fats aren't even as bad as we thought... and the proteins are very good. This DOESNT mean you should eat ALL fats and proteins, or that you should over do it. I mean everyone knows that anything in too much excess is bad.

Your body actually tries to maintain equilibrium, as hard as it can. So while you are making these changes your body is trying to resist them. Like others have mentioned, for you measuring waist and hips will be more useful and accurate.

How accurately are you measuring these things? Are you eating too much of just one thing? You may have lost weight at some point and gained it back as well, see how your weight fluctuates throughout the day even if you are too scared to look(Don't do this permanently just learn how your body fluctuates). Also, if you are eating it all at once, 5 small meals is much better. If you eat just once a day, your metabolism is basically at a standstill. I was doing the same thing and today ate 3 meals for the first time in...AWHILE.
  • Amie589
    Amie589 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice, I'll stick to counting my calories and working out like I am to see results :/ Hopefully I will start losing weight soon :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Along with patience I'd like to ask are you weighing your food and measuring? Sometimes our estimates can be way off. I'd also like to suggest that if you're not eating back your exercise calories that you try doing so.