Workout sick or get some rest?

Options
I'm sick! Ugh! I have a stuffy nose, with lots of drainage, a sore throat, steady, but not deep cough, and I have practically no energy. I am over on my calories for today, but still well under for the week. But I feel like I NEED to get to the gym. I go every Saturday night and I feel like I'm cheating myself. But at the same time, I slept most of the day and I feel like I could lay down and sleep for another 12 hours. Should I workout when I feel like this? What do you guys do? Do you workout when you are sick?

Replies

• Caligirl_92
    Caligirl_92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym! I feel like anyone feeling liking they are getting sick should never go to the gym for courtesy of other gym goers. I know we all clean equipment but I've learned enough about germs and viruses to know that it doesn't quite cut it. Now on if you should workout. You having trouble with breathing and such because of being stuffed up so you don't want to workout to hard, but working out a little bit will help your blood flow and ramp up your immune system a bit. I'd say walk for 30 minutes ( even if its just back and forth in your living room) and then do some stretches maybe some yoga poses. A relaxing workout can be better than no workout. At the same time though if you feel light headed or anything like that don't push it. Hope that all makes sense I tend to ramble on lol :happy:
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the feeling like you "NEED" to, but trust me, rest, and then get back to it when you're better. If you do work out it could take you longer to get over what ever this is.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    If it is a cold, and not allergies, get your rest. Some light walking is fine, but your body needs to focus on nealing, not recovering from workouts.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym! I feel like anyone feeling liking they are getting sick should never go to the gym for courtesy of other gym goers. I know we all clean equipment but I've learned enough about germs and viruses to know that it doesn't quite cut it. Now on if you should workout. You having trouble with breathing and such because of being stuffed up so you don't want to workout to hard, but working out a little bit will help your blood flow and ramp up your immune system a bit. I'd say walk for 30 minutes ( even if its just back and forth in your living room) and then do some stretches maybe some yoga poses. A relaxing workout can be better than no workout. At the same time though if you feel light headed or anything like that don't push it. Hope that all makes sense I tend to ramble on lol :happy:

I agree with this post, stay home and take a light walk if you are up to it.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    stay home and rest ....... and yes, other gym members will thank you for not spreading germs ..... FEEL BETTER SOON !
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you feel. When I had the flu I spent a week and a half crying and lying in bed but if I just have a cold or something manageable I still go.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Rest. You don't want to get the sore throat to turn into the flu or something. one day out of the year won't derail your long term plans.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    I've got the same thing right now =(. First, absolutely do not go spreading the joy (germs) all over the gym. Second, you really do need rest. I went for a run the first day I thought I was better, and I've been twice as sick since! I'll be jonesing to work out today, but I'm trying hard not to.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm resting a chesty cold off right now. I feel desperate to get moving and get in the gym but I know it will prolong the virus so I'm just taking it easy.

Listen to your body.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I find that yoga always makes me feel better - maybe just a few sun salutations or warrior poses, but ti just helps me breath.
  • Pasukaru2
    Pasukaru2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    REST, when you're sick your body is fighting against something, and needs energy for that (a.k.a calories). So basically you tend to burn more calories when sick without even doing workout (I'm not saying here you should eat a lot more tough!). So take your time to rest completely and come back to it when you feel good enough to do a light workout without feeling drained after it :wink: BTW I tried doing my workout after just a little rest during a cold telling myself I would be okay and that I needed to do it, It only ended up in making my cold lasting longer and not being able to workout for a longer time :angry: Just saying!
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    REST. Please, I speak from experience (this week just gone) - I'm not contagious, it's just an immune thing I have because I was overworked, but I went to the gym and nearly passed out from trying to do a "normal" workout. I KNOW it's hard when you want to go, but you'll make yourself feel worse in the long run.

Walking is a really good idea - I do this instead, and sing when you are doing it - raises the heart rate! x
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb, if it's above the chest go, if not stay home. GO!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I follow the below the neck rule

above the neck symptoms = stuffy nose, minor cough (i.e. not from a chest infection or something below the neck), minor cold symptoms etc

below the neck symptoms = fever, chest infection, vomiting, diarrhoea, etc

sick above the neck = workout

sick below the neck (i.e. any below the neck symptoms) = rest and recover first
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what you would do at the gym. I tried a bodypump class when I was sick and it was a bad, bad idea (think having to stop in the middle because I thought I was going to pass out, and the instructor calling the nurse and everything - never been so embarrassed in my life! But I had chest congestion too). If you're just going to use the treadmill or use the machines though, I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you take it slow. Or just go for a walk.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. Yes, you can workout but it is totally RUDE to go to the gym and spread that stuff around, in my humble opinion. I never appreciate listening to others coughing and sneezing nor I wish to be in the germs as a healthy person. As a sick person, I stay at home and do workouts in my home environment just out of respect and consideration to others. Kinda like those who feel the need to go into work when sick to show how tough they are. Ack! rude and inconsiderate. I vote stay home and do your own workout.