Trying to concieve / trying to lose weight?

Options
Well I have been in MFP for a while now and lost a good amount of weight like 16 months ago.(gained most of it back) This year has been rough though. I really want to lose weight but hubby and I are trying to have children also. I don't want that to interfere with conceiving. I am in the stage of fertility drugs because I got diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago. Plus if I start all over again and bam pregnant withen a week or so will that harm the baby in the early stages? I don't want to start training for a 5k or warrior dash or something at maximum effort and mess my chances up.

Replies

• jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and doing moderate exercise would be good for you and a baby.
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well within 2 weeks I would be going at full impact/power.
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    I will stay natural. Eat tons of veggies, fruits, and whole grains. They have so many vitamins and minerals that will help you lose weight, and have the healthy body you need. Do at least 5 servings a day of the fruits and veggies. 1 serving of Kale has more than your serving need in Vitamin K, A, C. Fruits like avocado has large amounts of fiber and monounsaturated fats that are great for you.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My best friend was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. Angela was deperate to get pregnant. It hurt her a lot that I was the type that gets knocked up just hanging my pants next to my hubby's! So I decided to learn what I could to help her get pregnant. She went to a fertility doctor, and I got online. The doctor put her on clomid for about 6 months and well no baby. The clomid seemed to make her gain weight.
    I found several articles about women with PCOS being prescribed metphormin(sp?). It wasn't to help with anything but the symptoms of the PCOS as it is a drug generally use for diabetes. Funny part was that the women lost weight very quickly and also got pregnant too!
    Angela switched doctors and asked about the metphormin. He put her on it and within 2 months she lost something like 20lbs and was pregnant! She continued to lose weight even pregnant. Working out is great when your pregnant! You should definetly start at the weightloss again it is better for you and better for your soon to be baby. Remember it could take a year or more to get pregnant so why waste that time. The better shape you are in the easier it will be to get pregnant. Just make sure you eat well. Just remember in the first trimester you only need the amount of extra calories in a piece of fruit. You will be on all the vitamins you and your baby will need. It will be fine get moving and if you don't believe me talk to your doctor he or she will tell you the same thing.
    Good Luck!!!!
  • middyfire
    middyfire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS, while trying to conceive my son both my family doctor and endocrinologist encouraged exercise and weight loss. Lower fat percentages can help improve some of the hormone issues that ladies with PCOS encounter.
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am on Metformin already, and yes it's supposed to aid in weight loss because it helps your body use the over production of insulin properly and that ends up regulating your hormones. But, it also make you crave carbs and sugar. It;s been really hard to stay away bread and ice cream. I guess I will start slow and try to keep myself at a slow pace.