Alternatives to eating when bored/stressed

Options
I have a huge issue with overeating. Being about 30lbs overweight (203lbs, goal of 170) I know this is an issue. I know I am not hungry but I will eat when I am bored or stressed out. I also work at a restaurant and am around bad food on a daily basis. Most of the time I can avert myself into doing something productive instead of eating when on break or when I am offered free food. The issue is that I work out at the local YMCA 4 to 5 days a week but the weight won't come off because of the dependance I have with food. It is very hard to stop. I have tried and succeeded for a couple days then I slip right back into the routine of over eating. I am looking for advice, if you have any please share!

Thank you and to everyone else, Good luck on your journey!

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    have better alternatives on deck, like strawberries or carrots...then the harm won't be as bad.
    I drink lots of carbonated water on ice with lemon squeezed up in there...I have convinced myself this tastes as good as Stella Artois used to taste to me.
  • bella_vista
    bella_vista Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Breaking the addiction to food is the hardest thing to do. I am right there with you! I am much better than I was, and now I have more success in NOT eating and going to my hobbies. I generally will have a low cal protein shake too. This helps. I learned a lot about emotional eating from Overeaters Anonymous. I am not saying that you have to make a life time commitment to join, but I am suggestion going to a few meetings, and checking out what works for you. Take what you like, and leave the rest. :-) I learn so much and I am forever grateful!
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cucumber slices with a dash of salt and pepper work wonders for a salty crunchy snack instead of chips.

When you are feeling bored, get up and go for a walk down the street and back.

Find a hobby: Read a book, crochet, needle point.. something to keep your hands busy.

Do jumping jacks. Call a friend that will be supportive. I call my best friend and tell her I want cake, and she says "get your a** to the gym"... it is helpful having a friend like that.

Change your routine, and get busy with a project so you won't be bored.

GOOD LUCK!! Feel free to add me if you need a friend that will give you a gentle push toward your goal.
  • 220Dani
    220Dani Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Try chewing some sugar free or regular gum. It helped me a lot just chewing on something and tricking myself into thinking I was eating something.
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I work at a Chinese restaurant. I will chew sugarless gum or munch on cucumbers green peppers or celery.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Takes 21 days to change a habit on average. Find a different habit to do then eat. Individually clean salt shakers, straighten chairs and tables and make them perfect, etc. By keeping yourself occupied, you have less chances of putting food in your body.
    I had a friend of mine stick their hands in her potted plants to compact the dirt, so that her hands were always dirty when she felt hungry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I read a book by Bob Harper called "Are you Ready?". He has some excercises that you can go through were it helps you change your relationship with food. It helped to learn and practice not eating when I am bored, stressed, happy or for any reason except to fuel my body. I highly recommended it. I have been doing this for only 104 days and I have lost 59 lbs. The book also taught me about be active and foods to eat. It has changed my life. I now feel my feelings rather than stuff them down with food.
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I find when I'm bored I'm more "hungry" (well not really but I'm bored!) Try to find something to keep busy and drink a lot of water - that def helps. I got one of those infuser pitchers and I add lemon, lime and fresh herbs (I started growing them on my balcony - various mints, lemon balm, etc) and I love the flavor of the water!

Hobbies that keep your hands busy are great - crafty stuff a lot of the time for me. Or I find something around the house to do - usually organizing a closet or cabinet (right now everything is organized - I'm told by people who come over they've never met anyone so organize LOL - but nothing wrong with that) - I find it gets me up and moving. Go outside for a walk - doesn't have to be intense - but just get out and move a little. I try to find things to do that keep me active, but not necessarily intense because then I won't want to do it (I save that for my actual workouts). I try to stay away from watching too much tv - put on the radio or something - I find the zillion food commercials just make it worse! Or rent a movie or put a DVD on if you must, but move around while doing it if possible (bring out papers to sort and organize while you watch - you're still moving).

Or I find stuff online to research - look up healthy recipes, exercises you can do - etc! Try to keep it health related and it will become more routine. Read about supplements, vitamins, health care, skin care, etc. There's so much info out there! I find I spend too much time on the computer lately researching this stuff - I need to do less of it, but I love it LOL

Good luck!