keratosis pilaris - anyone got any advice?

Options
MrsG31
MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
I know this is not a fitness or exercise question, but I was not sure where to put this. But since it involves looking good in sleeveless tops and bathing suits, figured this may the best fit.

I have keratosis pilaris, commonly known as chicken skin or chicken bumps, on my upper arms. I have had it all my life and I hate it. About 10 years ago a dermatoligist told me she could prescribe me a day & night cream to use, but it was expensive and you basically have to use it forever b/c there is no cure for it. So since I was young, broke, and getting married anyways I decided not to get the prescription.

Do any of you wonderful peeps also deal with this? Have you come across any inexpensive products that help? I remember they sell some stuff at Sephora but it was a little on the expensive side as well. I have read that there are certain ingredients in a lotion I should look for, but I have yet to find one with them. None of the articles I ever locate on the subject provide the name of a lotion and where you can get it! So if I could get some "real life" advice maybe I could finally DO something about it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I got some stuff called DermaDoctor KP Duty from Ulta that was supposed to help. It's a body scrub and a separate moisturizer. I used them for about 4 months before my wedding, and it lightened it some so it didn't show up in photos, but it was definitely still there. I asked my dermatologist about it, and she prescribed a lactic acid cream for it, but I'm a doof and lost the prescription before I could fill it, so I can't tell you if that was any more effective.
  • MrsG31
    Options
    Bump!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Huh, I've never looked for any special lotion. I follow the two-step procedure:

1) Never use any soaps, scrubs, detergents, or anything harsh or rough on the arms
    2) Lots of lotion. Sometimes oil.

If you google "oil cleansing" - that works. It's a little more effort than I'll usually go to, so usually I just wash using a sensitive-skin lotion instead of soap.

(Edit: wash my ARMS, I mean. I'm not a total hippie, I do use soap.)
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You want to use lotion with Sal Acid in it - AmLactin or CerVe SA are both OTC options at the local drug store that will help. (I am a Medical *kitten*'t for a derm and that's what we give)
  • MrsG31
    Options
    You want to use lotion with Sal Acid in it - AmLactin or CerVe SA are both OTC options at the local drug store that will help. (I am a Medical *kitten*'t for a derm and that's what we give)

Thank you! After I posted this I found a blogpost of a woman who sore by pure coconut oil. I think I've seen AmLactin at Target! I am totally going to try these!
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're welcome - the idea behind the Sal Acid (which is Salicylic Acid btw) is to dissolve the dead skin and "stuff" that clogs your pores and causes the bumps. I would think any type of oil would be more clogging, but it can't hurt to try it.
  • fcevallos
    fcevallos Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Check out the RESIST Weightless 2% BHA body treatment from the Paula's Choice website. It's helped my KP quite a bit....my arms are so smooth now....you just have to use it regularly.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! I got some of those kind of knit plastic scrubby gloves and I love them.

Also, I find that avoiding wheat helps a little, but that doesn't seem to be the case for everyone.

Any moisturizer that has fruit acids in it or salicylic acid is supposed to help, as well.

ALSO A CAUTION: Many of the lotions that help with this will bleach your bedding or clothes.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    My derm prescribed Clinadamycin phosphate lotion which works wonders! It comes in a small bottle though, so I only use it as spot treatment. I also purchased Amlactin moisturizing body lotion but found that I became immune to it quickly. I typically use CeraVe foaming facial cleanser on my face, chest, and arms and I purchased a body bath brush from Big Lots that I use before I shower and at night to knock off the dead skin. The miracle worker was a pore perfecting toner; the name is getting starred out so I'll include the link (it's a walgreens page, I promise: http://tinyurl.com/c92bv7n). When I remember to use it, it lightens the redness overnight and if you knock off the dead skin and put on a thin layer of lotion, it's almost as though you didn't have keratosis pilaris at all!
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've had it since I was a toddler. I exfoliate, use a body wash and lotion (both prescriptions, but there are body washes that are OTC) with salicylic acid, then use an alpha hydroxy lotion (amlacin is OTC).
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options

A cheap way to do this is to get an wipe with Salicylic acid (2%), a beta-hydroxy (Oxy or Clearsil). Wipe the affected area and let it dry. Apply a good, heavy moisturizer (CeraVe, Aveno Intense, etc.). It has done wonders for mine. Also I've been told sun exposure helps -- I struggle not to burn though.
  • MrsG31
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I was able to find some AmLactin at Walmart and switched to Dove Sensitive skin body wash. I am going to try some of the other things as well, like the exfoliating before showering and perhaps the pore perfecting toner. I am determined to get rid looking like I have a sunburn all the time!