protein shakes

Options
Any recommendations for protein shakes? I have heard avoiding soy is a good idea but still not sure what brand/kind is good. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In, cause relevant to my interests. The two brands I've tried so far have tasted awful (One actually made me gag and almost chuck in back up.) and left this sick artificial vanilla taste in my mouth. Ugh. I tried EAS Lean and something else (the something else was the one that made me gag. I've erased the trauma from my memory.)

My husband suggested Optimum Nutrition (100% Whey Gold Standard) but he will literally eat/drink anything so I don't trust his taste buds. Anyone tried this?
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Promasil by Rivalus is good. Carnivor Mass is another good one. Amplified Wheybolic by GNC.

My hearty recommendation is to get vanilla because it's easier to mix with a wide variety of flavors. I like to mix mine with the 0 calorie flavor syrups by davinci. Orange cream shake... mmm, Strawberry coconut banana... tasty.

I also like to mix some casein protein powder in as well. This is because casein has a different absorption rate, which I like.

Most health stores (GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc) offer up free samples of their shake mixes.

The reason to avoid soy is because it promotes estrogen production. But having it from time to time or in moderate amounts is fine. I met a girl who used it exclusively for several months and started lactating. She had gone a bit overboard :)
  • RUNNINxRIOT
    RUNNINxRIOT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use a scoop of Now pea protein and a scoop of Source Naturals rice protein respectively in my shakes. Not sure if they're as good as some of the other stuff out there, but they serve me just fine. Throw in some almond milk and a banana, and you're set.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrution is highly overrated. If you want to spend more go for one of gasparis range or cellucor, if you are in a tighter budget try hyper strength hyper whey, or inner armour super quad.
    Some of the above are whey, some are blends. All are good, pick one that works with your macros
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    Options
    I use Six Star which runs lower and has a variety of flavors.
    For me they taste fine.The vanilla is my favorite, as said
    earlier here vanilla works well was lot of things.Walmart
    has it cheapest. Hope you find one u like. :)

I forgot, I buy mine in 'whey' format. I try to get less soy when
    it's possible. My choice in protein bars is a whole nother story.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for protein shakes? I have heard avoiding soy is a good idea but still not sure what brand/kind is good. Thanks in advance!

I use ON's Casein and Whey proteins.

The Casein is super filling, and I take that one when I feel like using it as a meal replacement. The Whey I'll use directly after a workout, because I'm usually hungry, and my workouts ALWAYS involve weightlifting.

I avoid soy protein shakes because they tend to cause a massive amount of muscle cramping for me. I don't like muscle cramps, especially when they don't release for hours, so I avoid soy.

As for brands, ON's is the best, hands down. bodybuilding.com's branded stuff is good too. What you're looking for in a good quality protein shake is that it will be mostly protein. I think the ON's is 24g of protein, 1g of fat, and 2g of carbs. Not bad.

ETA - reason I use ON's only now. I've used a lot of different brands, the lower quality ones produce a lot of unpleasant "byproduct". I don't like that. ON's is high quality, and no exhaust issues.
  • shocking456
    shocking456 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all =)
  • lnewcombe91
    Options
    Myprotein.com - Impact Whey Protein.

It's quite cheap, its easy to mix and there's loads of flavours to pick from. The chocolate smooth is nice, so is the Vanilla. Thier customer service is great and they ship really quickly.

I think they also do samples so you can try them before you commit to a bigger pack.

Bodybuilding.com has some really comprehensive advice on Protein shakes and supplements
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm

it goes through what it is, the different types of protein, delivery methods and protein categories. Theres also loads of articles on there about high-protein recipes and advice.

Hope this helps