Mother's Day:: Missing my Mom...

Options
and trying not to fix it with food.
anyone else relate? My mom passed away late last year. Mother's Day is making me want to eat comfort foods and sugar, but I've been SO GOOD this past week and I don't want to blow it. So just trying to feel the feelings and let them out in more productive ways...

Replies

• elleneabrenner
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! The first Mother's Day is tough. I lost my mom 11 years ago and every Mother's Day is tough. I wish I can say there is a trick. Each year is different. But what has helped me is that I choose to do what I want on that day. But make it positive. Definitely grieve, that is completely acceptable, but do so positively. Not something that will Make you feel worse. So I guess choose wisely what foods you want. It's ok to indulge, but over indulge may make you feel more bummed. I wish you peace during this time.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm dreading Father's Day this year for the same reasons... lost my dad last year and Father's Day was the last day I spoke to him. He passed away a week later. It's going to be hard.. but I used all of last year (after his passing) to eat like crap, I'm not going to give myself that option this year. In fact, I think I'm going to push harder to get out and exercise and eat extra clean that day. Hugs to you! I know how much it still hurts.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My mom passed in late 2000. It does get better, but I still do have times when I get teary thinking about her. Maybe you could make your mom a Mothers' Day card and write her a letter telling her all about what's on your mind and what she's missed.

~*~ hugs ~*~
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sending you love and hugs this first Mother's Day without Mom. Keep feeling the feelings and let them out as tears and joy of a beautiful life lived. Celebrate her life by remembering things that make you laugh in joy. Feeding the grief will just make you sad and guilty. Feel her love and encouragement for your success and healthy living. You deserve this and more! Happy Mothers Day to You!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

I lost my Mom a few years ago. She was a wonderful woman. She loved us all so much and she would do anything in her power to make us happy. When I think of her I don't feel sorry - I'm so grateful. I think of the good things and it brings a smile to my face.
  • ScottysSpeedShop
    ScottysSpeedShop Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My Mom passed last November. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. :(
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    Fourteen years for me, and still super hard. I almost always take it off work, and definitely take flowers to the cemetery. <3 Very sorry for your loss.
  • laurabelle2013
    Options
    So many beautiful responses, it does help to know that there are others who feel it too. There's a lot of wisdom in these sharesd experiences and suggestions. Thank you for them.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So so sorry for the recent losses of your parents...Ah almost afraid to say it has been 40 years for me since losing Mom and I still miss her, each Mothers day, Christmas, birthday, even each time my kids or grand-kids do something wonderful or awful no matter I want to share it with her..but I know in my heart she is with me always..that makes Mothers Day so special..our memories. So Ladies...Happy Mothers Day to you all and it is time to make memories for your children and theirs, it is so worth it!!!
  • kishkoway
    kishkoway Posts: 19
    Options
    *hugs tight* I know I don't know you but super hugs for you! My father passed in 1993 and so it was my mom and I for a long time and I was super close to her. She passed in 2005 and I got so depressed and just couldn't shake it. It does get better, but there are times I just miss my mother so much it still hurts. I completely empathize.

Be good to yourself! It is more than ok to grieve and miss loved ones who have passed on whether its recent or many years. If you feel like eating then maybe come here and post, or call a friend or family member and just talk it through before eating. Write down how you feel first, sometimes getting it into perspective instead of indulging can help. I know it will be and is hard and hurts, but thank you so much for coming here and posting how you feel! It is a great way to reach out.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm in your shoes, Lost my mum at the age of 22, (25 yrs ago) like you I still miss you bad.

I try and remember the good time I had with her and think myself for having her for as i did,

think what your Mum would say to you

she would not want you to eat all that unhealthy food, she would want you to be healthy and happy.

I hope this helps

anyone can add me
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I lost my Mom in 2007 and May 2nd was the anniversary of her death...it does get easier every passing year but I still miss her very much and wish I could just have a conversation with her or one of her hugs...(mom hugs)...every mother's day I buy a few balloons and let them go toward heaven for her...your mom will always want you to be healthy and happy but if you do eat dirty don't beat yourself up..it's just one day..wishing you well!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    as I sit here with a bowl of raw brownie batter!! :indifferent: :noway:
    yes I understand compeletely.... my mom passed when I was 4.. no memory of her.. just miss what I never knew of her.. which is everything...:sad: .. and of course it becomes more obvious at Mothers Day time.....God has brought many good older women in my life as 'mother cushion roles"... and especially my friends mom.. whom is like a mother to me... but NOBODY can replace the 'real deal...... and i'm not a mother yet myself and that hits home too.. (thinking when I become a mother it will fill that void a bit)..... and although im only eating a cpl spoon fulls of batter here and NOT the entire bowl.. its still a 'false comfort'.. (TOM not helping in my own silly defense!) but i commend you for feeling the feelings vs eating them away! :drinker: :heart:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    and trying not to fix it with food.
    anyone else relate? My mom passed away late last year. Mother's Day is making me want to eat comfort foods and sugar, but I've been SO GOOD this past week and I don't want to blow it. So just trying to feel the feelings and let them out in more productive ways...

Aw, i'm so sorry. I like the balloon idea because it's cheerful and seems appropriate. For father's day we go the gravesite of my father in law. every year. it helps get thru the rest of the year because we know we will honor him that day and it takes most of the day, then we go to my dad's. So to me having a plan for the day seems to help. Also how about buying yourself something really comforting on this day in honor of her. Like a very cozy throw blanket. Or a body pillow. Or something you've been needing and meaning to buy but haven't yet. Back brush for the shower, eye mask, etc. Something incredibly comforting and soothing. Just i think spending time on an activity devoted to her memory will be comforting. As to the food. I think I'd pre log on a day like that. I'd include one or two items that remind u of her, favorite cookie/cocktail/sandwich etc. Then the rest of the day eat well and let those couple of things fit into your cal goals and just enjoy them. The rest of the day might be easier to stick to if you know that treat is coming.