Snacking on fruit

Options
Just a quick one but I like being able to grab a handful of dried fruit to snack on especially dried cranberrys! But was wondering what the health benefits are and how it compares to fresh fruit? Thanks guys!

Replies

• anniemarianas
    Options
    I'd like to know too, soo
    bump :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i just eat them cuz i like them.

oh, and i take to calling grapes "wine in pill form"
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm heard dried fruit is only for young people coz that can burn the sugars off easier, so there for not so good for older people

if you have there cals and you log them I don't see the problem

good luck I hope this helps

anyone can add me
  • amywishart98
    amywishart98 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Haha loving the grape thing!
    Yeah I love them so will eat them anyways but was just wondering if they like still have all the vitamins and that in them!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    better than chocolate but just as many calls, lots of sugar and it sticks to your teeth. You need to eat it in moderation maybe mix it with nuts. bear in mind that it will count as almost a meal if you eat too much of it so do not kid yourself that it is low cal
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit just has a lot more sugars in them.....check out the packet!!!! .I try to stick to strawberries and blueberries as they are so good for you!!!
  • TheWanderingLemon
    TheWanderingLemon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit is a lot more calorie dense because all the water has been sucked out of it. I mean, it's *dry* You could eat a cup of dried cranberries and a cup of normal cranberries and see that the caloric difference is huge. With fresh fruit it's all about the water that's in the fruit. I would recommend monitoring portion sizes of the dried fruit if it's something you can't go without, but if you can make the switch to regular fruit I'd recommend it. Personally I think I get more bang for my buck that way. :)
  • amywishart98
    amywishart98 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone whose replied! Definitely gonna keep the dried fruit to a minimum and stick to the fresh stuff!
  • stephaniegcoffey
    stephaniegcoffey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit has the exact same nutritional value as fresh fruit unless it's been sweetened, like dried cranberries often are.

The issue is that the primary reason why fruit fills you up is the high water content; you get a large volume of food without many calories because of it. With dried fruit, the water is removed, so 20 raisins takes up much less room in your stomach than 20 grapes, making it easier to overeat although both have the same number of calories.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with dried fruit as long as you don't eat huge quantities of it, it's convenient as a portable snack. Mix it with some nuts or seeds and you're good to go.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit tends to have a lot more sugars and calories. If you have the calories left over, go for it. Otherwise, I recommend sticking to fresh.