Cheat Days?

Options
Hi all, I'm doing a medical VLCD/low carb (mixed very low calorie diet/low carb) and was wondering if anybody else doing similar plans factors in a cheat day.
I saw a post once that recommended writing down the things you crave and saving them for an occasional cheat day.
Ive read different opinions on cheat days, it's highly unlikely that having a cheat day would cause a binge for me as doing a VLCD is very disciplined and you have to eat in moderation, plus as most ketotic diets you dont have much of an appetite anyway.
I have a lot of weight to lose and I have a planned date to reach my goals, was wondering if anyone uses cheat days and if this has any significant impact on their fat/weight loss, and wether it helped them succeed.
I have struggled to stick to diets in the past due to cravings or just being in a social situation when its been very difficult not to break my plan.
I think my main cheat would be a few vodka/diet cokes as I do like a little tipple, and to have a small amount of something I may have craved in the week, even if it knocks me out of ketosis.
Anybody any thoughts?

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days

if I want something, I have it so long as I have the cals, if I dont have the cals I earn them or I don't have it

i log everything. sorry may not be what you want to hear :-/

anyone can add me
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days

if I want something, I have it so long as I have the cals, if I dont have the cals I earn them or I don't have it

i log everything. sorry may not be what you want to hear :-/

anyone can add me

Ditto, but I eat my exercise calories back and have room for some treats.

The main reasons I don't want cheat days... 1) very easy to binge so much you never learn moderation, 2) VERY easy to eat back the 3000 calorie deficit you had during the week, 3) I have another excuse not to eat fried foods now (for example) - they'd make me sick! That's a huge turn off, quite frankly, and I absolutely don't miss them one bit.
  • 79shirl
    79shirl Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi there,

I always have a cheat night every week. I weigh myself every Saturday morning. Then on a Saturday I eat normally (counting my calories) for breakfast and lunch and then on a Saturday night have what I want with a few treats and I'm still loosing a pound a week. I know a lot of people don't always do this but think sometimes when you diet constantly your metabolism slows down as it gets used to dieting and the oods your eating, if you have cheat meal once a week it shocks your body as it doesn't recognise what your eating. Your body literally thinks whats this food...and it kicks your metabolism into gear and it works a little bit harder to burn off this different food your eating.

I am quite a new memer to MFP and have lost in total upto date 10 pounds but have only tracked 5 pounds on MFP. But over the past couple of years I have gone from 208 pounds to 153 pounds and have always had one cheat meal a week.

i know it's different for eveyone but that works for me. I hope this helps.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't eat VLC but I do eat VLCarb :p (less than 50 usually)

I have insulin resistance and when I eat something overly sweet it does trigger hunger and cravings. The other day I went out for chicken wings (about a 900 calorie meal) and the sauce on the wings was so sweet. I was still hungry after eating them, even though they were so high calories.

I think if I was eating very low calorie, I probably would have kept eating lol so don't be so sure your will of steel will not binge. I would say it's probably MORE LIKELY because of the very low calories.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    After a week of very respectable deficit I have just had a weekend of moderate excess, not really cheating as such, just making sure my metabolism isn't going to die on me.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Last time I dieted I had a cheat day to have a let-out for cravings and that post training bag of chips (fries if you are American!) from the fish and chip shop. I lost over 2 stone while doing it, so I am a great advocate for it. It helped me to learn control. The flip side is that you don't learn and end up out of control and binging, but to my mind you would be aware of your potential to do that before starting cheat days. .

8 years later and I am losing again, but this time I don't feel the need for a cheat day as much. Most of the time I work things into my calorie allowance. If I go over for the day, I try to work it into my weekly allowance by being under for that week. Occasionally (about once a month or so) I say sod it and have a mad moment, and chalk it up as one of those things. To be honest, it is usually as a result of parties with friends where there is a lot of good beer, wine, food and whisky! (I guess it's not difficult to see my vices!). I am one of those people that as soon as something is banned, I want it and I won't stop noting it until I have it. It only has to be a little bit now to satisfy the desire.

There will always be a discussion as to whether cheat days are a good thing or a bad thing. At the end of the day it is what works for you. From my experience, I would say try it and see how you get on. If you run into control issues, then stop.
  • theibster
    theibster Posts: 13
    Options
    After a week of very respectable deficit I have just had a weekend of moderate excess, not really cheating as such, just making sure my metabolism isn't going to die on me.

This was my thoughts... I have underactive thyroid so have difficulties with my metabolism anyway! Dont want my engine to stop running completely :D
  • theibster
    theibster Posts: 13
    Options
    Occasionally (about once a month or so) I say sod it and have a mad moment, and chalk it up as one of those things. To be honest, it is usually as a result of parties with friends where there is a lot of good beer, wine, food and whisky! (I guess it's not difficult to see my vices!). I am one of those people that as soon as something is banned, I want it and I won't stop noting it until I have it. It only has to be a little bit now to satisfy the desire.

There will always be a discussion as to whether cheat days are a good thing or a bad thing. At the end of the day it is what works for you. From my experience, I would say try it and see how you get on. If you run into control issues, then stop.

You and me both :D I never eat chocolate but sometimes crave it. Tend to have a low calorie hot choc to sort the craving. But whisky, yes, I would have to have a whiskey!
    Generally want to use the day to (eat something naughty) but to try and keep my metabolism fired.
    I've found very little guidance online for people with metabolic disorders, so trying to piece together abit of the science myself :S
  • 2boned
    2boned Posts: 44
    Options
    Eat whatever i want 1 day a week!
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do low carb Monday -Saturday and on Sunday I eat my normal foods. I am mindful of what I eat that day. Breakfast is my biggest meal that day. I exercise 6 days a weeks for 30 minutes, high intensity. I have found this works for me after trying many other lifestyles. I feel good and I can see and my family can see the difference in my body, and I have lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks. No one should be deprived of what they like to eat but we all have to be responsible for what we put into our mouths also.