Weight gain post miscarriage?

Options
We found out a little over a week ago that our pregnancy was not viable :( I was losing weight in the first few weeks of pregnancy, but over this past week I have gained three pounds! What gives? What a double whammy. I've spent two days mostly in bed and haven't worked out for 8 days, but I'm not eating buckets of lard, bags of chips or handfuls of fries.

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    We found out a little over a week ago that our pregnancy was not viable :( I was losing weight in the first few weeks of pregnancy, but over this past week I have gained three pounds! What gives? What a double whammy. I've spent two days mostly in bed and haven't worked out for 8 days, but I'm not eating buckets of lard, bags of chips or handfuls of fries.

I'm sorry to hear that....The weight gain is your body healing itself. Don't stress out, just rest and recover.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    First off, sorry to hear about your loss :( I gained weight after my miscarriage as well, I think the body doesn't understand what is going on just yet and the hormones get all out of whack. With time it will adjust itself, I think it took about 6weeks for the weight to get back to normal. Right now I wouldn't worry about it, you just need to nourish yourself at this time. >hugz<
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about this. I agree with the other lady that said its probably your body healing its self and its not sure whats going on yet.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, my sister miscarried at 6 months a few years ago, it's very traumatic. I agree, I see a 3-5 lb change daily if I weigh daily. Don't fret about it, worry about your body right now, allow it to heal before you jump back on the wagon. Best of luck to you :)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    First off, sorry to hear about your loss :( I gained weight after my miscarriage as well, I think the body doesn't understand what is going on just yet and the hormones get all out of whack. With time it will adjust itself, I think it took about 6weeks for the weight to get back to normal. Right now I wouldn't worry about it, you just need to nourish yourself at this time. >hugz<

I went through it too. And sorry :(
  • ismiseciara
    ismiseciara Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    <3<3 sorry to hear that , dont stress too much about he gain now, just focus on you recovering for now, as mentioned before im sure its just hormones out of wack right now, take care hun <3<3
  • nicolecassandra
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. That's normal. Weight you gained could be mostly due to hormones and your body is still in trauma. Miscarriage can be overly depressing. Chances are your body changes and emotions, you can still gain weight, our metabolism slows down when were in the dumps. Just rest and let yourself heal.
  • Melanya7
    Melanya7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for the support and kind words. I hope when my cycles returns this will all work itself out. Metabolism slows when we are unhappy? Wow!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I was there a year ago and had the same thing happen to me. I found that it took about 2 months for things to level off for me. I luckily didn't have to do a DNC which also helped me get back to normal. You will normal off again and get back to normal weight loss again. Allow yourself the time to grieve as well because your body is going through it right now. Add me if you want, i'm still hoping for my rainbow Baby. It helps to know you're not alone sometimes too!
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! I went through the same thing too! If it helps...I have heard you are more fertile posr miscarriage. I don't know if it is true or not, but I ended up with twins right after mine. Good luck to you!!!