can someone help me understand my

Options
ok so basically I went to my GP to get a GP referral letter for the gym and I found out my blood pressure and resting heart rate. I'm currently 238 pounds and have a bmi of 33.7 which is due to not excering well ever and eating really poorly. can someone exsplain to me if my results are bad as ive read its a good way of telling how fit someone is and how strong their heart is and im abit nervous as to how bad my results are

my resting heart rate is 64

my blood pressure is 137/66

Replies

• Taylorferguson1
    Options
    Can you please tell me your height and I will see if I can help?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    why didn't you ask your doctor when he gave you the results?

even if it's bad, at least you are doing something about it by going to the gym.
  • SeanWestLondon
    Options
    5 10 or 5 11

my weight is around 238
  • SeanWestLondon
    Options
    I didn't really care to look till I got home
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I know

bmi of 33.7 is hight

my BMI is 30.1 and I am classed as Obese,

I hope someone can help you more than myself

anyone can add me
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Your resting HR is not too bad according to this chart......

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

Will leave the BP "diagnosis" to someone that knows a bit more about BP..

Edit : found this that might help to explain.....

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure.htm
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    your BMI is in the obese range. thats enough to tell you that its bad news.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    BMI is high and your blood pressure is borderline hypertensive meaning you got work to do. If you don't want to be on medications to control that the rest of your life it's time to act now. Reduction in weight will greatly improve this.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

So is mine.
  • nikilis
    Options

So is mine.

sorry to hear that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

So is mine.

sorry to hear that.

i'm not.
  • lnewcombe91
    Options
    BMI is generally pointless. It doesn't discriminate between different tissue types (muscle weighs 3x more tham fat). According to BMI a bodybuilder with about 5% body fat will be called obese because of their wieght.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

A better measurement is Body Fat %.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    your BMI, as you've been told is too high, but that's obvious as you're 40lb+ overweight, so you really ought to start losing

your resting pulse is fine

your BP is interesting; on the face of things it's pretty well fine but the higher number, the systolic rate is on the high end of normal, and the lower number,the diastolic, is on the very low end of normal;
    this is unusual as they're normally both slightly high or slightly low;
    I'd recommend getting it checked again, ask for 3 readings & go with the average of both numbers
  • nikilis
    Options

So is mine.

sorry to hear that.

i'm not.

good to see you already have a medal, so I don't need to offer you one.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ok, first off, you hr isn't bad. Your bp is a bit hypertensive. Now that I got that outta the way, you need to question how the doctor arrived at your body fat percentage. Most doctors I go to take height and weight. After all, that's how the government determines it. Height and weight do not take into account muscle mass. You can see from my picture that I'm not 33% bodyfat, however this is how the doctor graded me when I went for a work physical. You need calipers, tape measurements, or a special "tub" to determine accurately your bodyfat percentage. That you admit to being a couch potato though I'd say it's at least in the ballpark. It's good to see you on the site and asking questions. It's a step in the right direction. Once exercise and eating healthy become habit, then it will become your new way of life. As of now, my body doesn't have much of a tolerance for unhealthy food and I crave healthy things. I also am addicted to exercise.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor back to ask his/her thoughts on your results. We can all tell you different things based on personal experience and a few Google searches, but your doctor knows the rest of your health history and we do not. I hope that you will make the decision to commit to your health and fitness!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

So is mine.

sorry to hear that.

i'm not.

good to see you already have a medal, so I don't need to offer you one.

Was that really necessary? All he was saying was that BMI is not the best way to determine overall health of a specific person because it does not take into consideration body type. He just didn't say it with all of those words, he just indicated that he is not concerned.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am looking at your numbers a little differently. I actually feel they are not that bad, they could be worse for a person who weighs almost 240 lbs. So you need to lose 45 lbs and lower your blood pressure a bit. Many of us were much worse when we started.

I think your numbers tell you to get in the gym and work out, especially with cardio which will improve your BP within a month. Just don't over do things. Eat 20% below your TDEE for five months and start lifting and moving, everything will look a lot better in six months...

Stop stressing, just get to the gym and do what you know you need to do. That is unless the doctor said you are not healthy enough to exercise...that would be a completely different issue.

My numbers were a lot worse when I started than yours and my doc told me run, don't walk to the gym, and she knew I have bad knees ;)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    The systolic BP (top number) is high. It indicates a problem that will get worse if not dealt with.