Plateau- Need advice

Options
reckjb
reckjb Posts: 25 Member
I started off losing 1-2 lbs pretty consistently. I rarely go over my 1200 calories, and I work out 4-6 days for at least 40 minutes. For the last month, I have not budged more than a 1/2 a pound or so. I started with following Bob Harper's Skinny Rules, which worked great at the beginning, but now I seem to be stalled right around 22 pounds lost. I still have about 50 I want to lose, so I need advice. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you are honestly working out 40 minutes a day more than 3 times a week, and not standing around talking in the gym,

If your calorie counts are accurate, and you are in fact eating 1200, on average day in and day out,

Then something is off. The weight will come off in lurches, and after you lose the first few pounds, you will see that the scale remains the same for a week at a time or more.

Are you confident in your calorie counts? Are you sure that you aren't overestimating your exercise calories, working out + eating at a deficit = weight loss..

How long have you been stuck?
  • reckjb
    Options
    They are definitely accurate. I log everything. I also am actually working out; do not even know anyone here to talk to. lol I do not eat back my exercise calories, other than maybe 50 calories from time to time. I have been stuck about a month. Two weeks ago, I gained half a pound. Last week, I lost the same half pound. This week, I did lose a pound but between 4-20-13 until today, I am only done a pound net.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) it is normal to hit plateaus. I hit once every month, and it lasts 2-3 weeks (2 weeks as of today for me)
    2) If you're only eating 1200 and exercising, you're starving yourself. Eat your exercise calories back. Your goal shouldn't even be 1200 in the first place... probably close to 1400.. plus exercise calories. Eat more. Once your body finally gets the food it needs, your metabolism will kick in and you'll lose again...
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200- 1600 calories total everyday. But I zick zack between my calories. I eat 1200 one day and 1500 one day and back to 1260 the third day and so on. Try to do that. Maybe try to eat 1450 today. It has worked great for me and I am not starving myself. Nobody on MFP is starving lol. quit the opposite.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I started off losing 1-2 lbs pretty consistently. I rarely go over my 1200 calories, and I work out 4-6 days for at least 40 minutes. For the last month, I have not budged more than a 1/2 a pound or so. I started with following Bob Harper's Skinny Rules, which worked great at the beginning, but now I seem to be stalled right around 22 pounds lost. I still have about 50 I want to lose, so I need advice. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Lol you sound like me but the last few days I've upped my calories to near 1400 not eating back my exercise calories due to I set my goals to a 1000 calorie deficit against my tdee!

I'm at a stall after 23lbs loss I'm really hoping me upping my calories will soon make the scale budge! I don't eat bread or white starches, and oats being im a celiac I stick to simple high protein diet 40% protein 30% carb 30% fat. I try to limit my sugars to under 60grams
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm on a stall right now (5 days), but I think it's with TOM, so I'm going to relax some? Whenever I am at a weight longer than I want to be, I look @ upping my intensity or time @ the gym, keeping my sodium closer to 1500 mg or less, & making sure I drink more than 1/2 my body weight in oz. I am 5'7" & 39 for 9 more days, & have lately been eating about 1800-1900 calories, eating a portion of my 1000 burned workout calories....so maybe I'll eat closer to 1700 to start seeing some results again? You probably need to eat a little more than 1200, if you are working out. Eat an avocado or some chicken to up the calories...something that's not junk food.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you've stalled, one thing you may want to look at is your workout routine.

If you do your favorite workout, the same way, the same intensity, every week... change it. Do something you hate, your body has adapted to the workouts, and you aren't burning as much as you think.

I swear to christ we are like borg. After the first few shots, we adapt, and must change it up completely.
  • reckjb
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I am trying upping my calories this week, so we will see how that goes! I realized that the first 18 lbs I lost was without any working out at all. The last 4.5 lbs is all I have lost since I started working out so I am guessing it is correct that my calories need to be tweaked. I appreciate the advice! :smile:
  • AllNewMelanie
    AllNewMelanie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your totally not eating enough. I plateaued for a month so I upped my calories from 1200-1800 and high protein and this week it's finally coming off. Find your BMR and TDEE and go from there. Good luck loves.
  • emilylanham917
    emilylanham917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I have been reading a lot online and here in the forum. If you are only eating 1200 calories and not eating back your exercise calories, there's your problem. You aren't getting enough calories. I agree with what others say, up your calories a little or start eating back what you work out, you need to be at 1200 calories at and absolute minimum a day, if you work off 600 of those calories in one day, that means you are only getting 600 in for that day and that's not enough at all. Good luck!
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm starting to doing I eat at a deficit of a 1000 (-2lbs a week) as of now due to my bmi is high.

2500 my tdee
    -1000=1500

I add my consumed calories for the week on Saturday night after diary entry completion

1500 X 7= 10500
    10500- what ever my total calories consumed is whatever I'm left with I eat
    For example my totals are 7945 so I'm gonna eat 2555 calories today but still make healthy choices because the risk of going back to old ways is not worth it!
    Only for people that eat under calories!

Note I put my calorie goal to this TDEE deficit and don't eat back my calories burnt through exercise being my tdee justifies my activities!